“Bucket List Dream Fulfilled”
Review of Sombrero Ranch

Sombrero Ranch
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Tired of the city life and want to experience a moment back in time...mountain trails surrounded by nature? Sombrero Ranch with the Allenspark Livery stable is just the ticket.
My wife and I planned a ten day vacation touring Colorado and Wyoming. We ended our wonderful week with a three day stay at the Allenspark Lodge and took advantage of the Allenspark Livery stable across the street. "Compass", our trail guide, kept us entertained the entire trip (which by my clock, wasn't long enough...LOL I could have kept riding for three more hours.). In the summer of my 14th year, I worked at a ranch at the Grand Canyon and loved it. 44 years later, I finally was able to get back in the saddle and enjoy my youth and the beauty of nature from the back of a horse again. Allenspark Livery was wonderful and so was the lodge. The lodge is rustic, be prepared, but relaxing beyond compare.
Thanks Compass!

in 2 reviews
"folks"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stopped in on short notice and Compass was very accommodating (she worked us in that afternoon). Everyone was great with our son (6 years old) who had never ridden a horse on his own before and we had a wonderful ride. Our guide, Paul, was fantastic - very knowledgeable and interesting. Beautiful scenery, good horses. Overall a great experience we'd love to repeat! Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My family had never rode horses before; however, because of my daughter's love for horses, we decided to include a horseback ride in our vacation plans. We did a lot of research online for the Colorado, Wyoming area, and we choose to go with Sombrero Ranch - Allenspark. Best decision - our guide Emmy was amazing. She made us feel like we had been riding forever. The horses they choose for us were wonderful trail horses (Munchkin, Cinchy, Moab, and Cinco). They were calm and easy to relax on. If we were ever to visit the area again, we would definitely go back for another ride. THANKS Emmy!

Pennsylvania Family

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had a visitor from Japan staying with us, and based on a friend's recommendation, we opted to visit the Allenspark location of Sombrero to give him a new experience.
While we were late arriving because we could not find the ranch, the staff was courteous and forgiving.
After an overview of how to make a horse do what you want it to, we were off. The three hour ride was absolutely breathtaking, and our wrangler was absolutely fantastic. He was a mix of a jukebox and a renaissance man, one moment regaling us with stories of Colorado history, and the next singing (in quite a nice voice, I might add) trail songs.
It was a great experience, and we can't wait to return.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My sister and I had never been on a horse before and we told the people at the livery that...we were put on rather tame looking horses and then proceeded to the trail. Having never been on a horse it might have been nice to ride around the arena a time or two first before heading to the trail running beside the highway. We were told that horses do a lot of damage to cars so not to fear crossing the road...Yikes! The first part of the trail is a pretty good sized incline with a steeper incline following that, my horse stumbled and then kept trying to eat so I, needless to say, was less than impressed. We turned around and went back to the stable with visions of me galloping across a flower-strewn meadow dashed! This all took 10 minutes!!! We were not offered a refund or even a half refund on our return. Instead, I was scoffed at with " it's a horse, for God's sake!". I would not recommend this livery.

2  Thank SylRickTraveler