“One of a kind, spectacular, breathtaking, a hidden gem!”

Rio Grande Scenic Railroad
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Alamosa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Rio Grande Scenic Railroad is Colorado's newest train offering steam engine rides through breathtaking mountain valleys and over legendary LaVeta pass on hundreds of miles of historic rail. Excursions offer riders a trip back in time on restored passenger cars that stop at the quaint mountain town of LaVeta and hear narration of Colorado history, mining stories and catch a glimpse of wildlife--including bears! Summer weekends brings the Mountain Rails Live summer concert series with nationally renowned acts to a boxcar stage at 9,400 ft only accessible by our train. This green location is run on solar and wind power. Seasonal rides are available throughout the year.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Page, AZ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“One of a kind, spectacular, breathtaking, a hidden gem!”
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Great staff, beautiful cars(we rode in the dome, but had cocktails in the club car) , great scenery. What a great way to not only experience a train ride through the beautiful mountains of southern colorado, but also an opportunity to visit the Great National Sand Dunes. Understand there is a concert series in the summer, but unfortunately this didn't fit our schedule this trip, will plan on coming back in 2010. We had an awesome time. Thank-you.

1 Thank LPTraveler09

Philadelphia
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Enthusiatic REAL railroad welcomes passenger service!”
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Get on board with the Rio Grande Scenic RR. They offer trips in three directions from Alamosa. The staff has a great vibe -- they want you to ride with them and are proud to show off the equipment and the scenery.

We rode to LaVeta, the longest trip - it takes the full day (9 - 5). We recommend the dome car for the view and the seats. Dome passengers are welcome to wander the train.

Our conductor Steve was informative and funny. The rest of the crew was equally excited and enthusiastic.

5 Thank Railhistoryfan
Dallas, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful scenery on an up-and-coming scenic railroad”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

The Rio Grande Scenic Railroad is one of the, if not the, newest tourist railroad in Colorado. The route runs over La Veta Pass. I took the La Veta-Fir roundtrip, and the ride was very comfortable. Service on board was limited to hot chocolate/hot tea and a muffin on my trip. There was no onboard gift shop, and the La Veta station had no gift shop to speak of unfortunately. I upgraded to the dome car, and I was glad I did as the view out was great. On our trip, we even saw some bears along the line. The route from La Veta runs diesel engines, and the route back down from Fir was steam.

4 Thank kjrailfan
chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“One of the best train rides I've ever taken”
Reviewed July 11, 2009

It was easy to get a ticket over the phone, we were in the dome car which was spectacular but the open air car at the back of the train was just as good. The staff was very friendly. The train from Alamosa to La Veta has a steam engine, but all their other trains are diesel.

The friendliest staff on any train I have ever ridden.

6 Thank cek54
Breckenridge, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very Unorganized”
Reviewed May 8, 2009

I booked a day-long excursion from Alamosa to La Veta and back for 5/9/09 and was told the train might not run that day if there wasn't enough interest. The reservationist told me they would let me know by the previous Thursday if the train wasn't running. I gave them both my phone number and email address. When I didn't hear from them, I reserved an area hotel room for Friday night. Before I left my house on Friday morning, I called to double-check the train was running. It had been cancelled and no one had informed me. "Sorry," was what they said. And, "It's very chaotic around here."
Good luck if you try to plan a train trip with this company. I won't do it again.

5 Thank rowingcrow2

Been to Rio Grande Scenic Railroad? Share your experiences!