“Best In Show, Excellent Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Suites Alamosa

Holiday Inn Express Suites Alamosa
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Alamosa
Huntsville, Alabama
“Best In Show, Excellent Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

The staff and facilities at the Holiday Inn Express in Alamosa make this hotel the towns “Best in Show”. My work colleagues and I stayed at the HI Express in Alamosa for a little over a month this fall, and we could not have been happier with the service and hospitality of the staff, over all cleanliness of the facility and the choices for the breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Staple15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

We stayed here one night before riding the Cumbres Toltec train in Antonito the next day. The room was very large with sitting area (sofa & chair & TV) plus king sized bed and lots of floor space. Microwave and refrigerator also in room. Staff very friendly and helpful. Quiet stay. Pristinely clean restroom. The bed was okay, but not supremely comfortable. We slept well, however. Advice: if you are going to take the train in Antonito, you better stay over in Alamosa. Antonito has no accommodations outside of maybe a campground outside of town.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SimplyBC
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

Had a lovely King Whirlpool room with big two-person tub :) Room was clean and comfortable, if a bit small. Very chintzy on the lighting - the worktable has no light on it nor wall light above it. The staff was great, and the free breakfast very good. The only other cavil was that the muzak playing in front of the entrance was WAY too loud.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mogon
Norman, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

We have stayed at many Holiday Inn Expresses, but never for the price of $178.00 per night, nor at a location where we experienced substandard service. Staff was very friendly, but did not know how to handle customer concerns. The refrigerator did not work in our room, the carpet was sticky, it was noisy (due to being next to the highway), and my kids couldn't believe that there were no flat screen tv's yet! Even though all of these issues (and more) were expressed while at the property, all we heard in return from the staff was - - "I'm so sorry."
We won't be wasting our money staying there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank MySaySo
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

Appears to be new facilities, large clean reception area. The staff greeted us immediately upon entering the door. We made the reservation the day before and when we entered they had our room keys made so we only had to ad our signature and we were off to room.

The room was big, clean and sufficently furnished. The room had a refigerator which was nice to keep extra drinks cold. The room was cool and the AC unit worked well. Free internet was fast!

The only drawback was the noise. Our room window was facing the highway and we could occasionally hear passing vehicles. Also we could also hear people walking around in the room above.

The bed was comfortable, lots of pillows, they even offer both firm and soft pillows.

Overall would highly recommend this location!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank NakedSharkDiver
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

Don't count on any sort of early check-in even for the tired traveler. The hotel manager will hold you to a 3pm check-in. Apparently it takes >1.5-2 hours to have one open room?

Don't count on the most value for your dollar. This hotel is a major price-gouger - $170.00 for a special rate stay (ie: AAA), certainly close to $200 for any non-special rate stay. I have stayed at holiday inn expresses all over the country and this one is perhaps the worst of the lot...

I'm surprised that some were so impressed by the continental breakfast. It seemed rather paltry and the eggs were watery and tasted terribly. As a New Yorker, I suppose I am used to good value and something impressive for close to $200. This hotel was neither. In a place known for its great landscape, it offered no views except Walmart parkinglots and construction.

I am impressed that such a hotel could charge so much with so little amenities and courtesies. Either they should lower their prices or offer some luxury for that price. The rooms were extremely bland. Oh, and unfortunately, the manager of this property is inaccessible. Contacting her is like trying to contact batman! lol

And the "free highspeed internet" was totally lacking. I would have written this review during my stay if I could get online without spotty internet!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank WorldTravelerUSA81
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

We were in Alamosa for a one-night stay after a visit to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. This happened to be the July 4th holiday weekend, so I'm not sure how that factored into the price of our room, but at roughly $170 (inc. tax) it seemed to be a bit high for this type property. That said, I'll just review the hotel itself and not compare to what I think a $170/night property should be!

Location - west of Town, next door to Walmart (Subway restaurant inside, FYI) and a Dollar Tree store on the other side(?!?).

Check in staff were friendly, however not super efficient. Our family walked in and the front desk staff was helping 2 other guests check in, so we were next in line and it took nearly 15 minutes for them to get to us. The lobby area is nice and offers cookies and lemonade which is a nice touch. We asked for a room not on the highway side of the building, however those were all sold out.

We arrived in our room and it was clean and what one would expect from a Holiday Inn Express. My kids were anxious to swim so my husband took them to the pool, and I ran to Walmart to pick up a few items we needed. As mentioned, there is a Subway inside Walmart, and a Wendy's out in front of the store. I didn't notice any other restaurants in the immediate area within walking distance, but honestly I wasn't really looking. In a pinch you could pick up some microwave meals at Walmart as there is a micro (and fridge) in the room.

Pool area gets thumbs up from 6 & 7 year old members of family.

Sleepability (may not be a word, but I'm going with it) = ugh. Beds were average, and while advertised as Queens, I think they were doubles. They do give you 2 pillows for each sleeping spot which is a nice touch (one soft, one firm). The reason for bad sleepability was the extremely loud A/C unit and the very loud road noise. Every time the A/C unit kicked on it made a loud BOING and would rattle and moan for a few minutes. Of course by the time I realized this was going to interfere with my sleep it was too late. I knew the hotel was completely booked as when I was checking in 2 other people were turned away because there was no vacancy. So switching rooms was not an option. Secondly, since the rest of my family was already asleep there was no way I was going to call the front desk and ask someone to look at the problem. How they slept through the noise is beyond me.

We were up and rolling quite early, or in my case, still up and headed to the complimentary breakfast. I must say that the spread that these foks put out is awesome! This made what was looking like a pretty bad situation better! Maybe this is what that $170/night rate is paying for? They had your typical "Continental" breakfast fare, but also cheese omelets (microwaved) and BACON! Sausage and biscuits! This breakfast, which was attended by 2 very efficient people who constantly put out fresh, hot food, almost erased from my mind my lack of sleep.

Then, as we were checking out, the friendly (but not efficient) front desk asked how our night was. Since I was so full of bacon I didn't have the energy to complain, so I mentiond the A/C unit in our room was a bit noisy. They thanked me for letting them know and would have someone take a look at it.

Hmmmmm, after putting this together I'm starting to think that maybe this is how they win people over? Take a bunch of grumpy people who haven't slept because of road noise and loud A/C units and surprise them with bacon at the continental breakfast....Ok Holiday Inn Express, I'm on to you.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family