“Great food. . Extremely unprofessional” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Monte Vista, Colorado
“Great food. . Extremely unprofessional”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

The food here is awesome! The service is always fairly slow.. Generally the customer service is good and the wait staff is professional, but on this visit I witnessed one of the waiters taking shots behind the bar during his shift. Extremely unprofessional!!!

4 Thank lynnaebv

Newton, Kansas
“Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is where quantity is valued over quality. Portions are huge. Food tasted rancid and I had to scrape the guacamole off my burger to be able to eat it. They advertise house made fries but mine were soggy and cold. Place is a dump. Burger was barely edible. I will give the another chance if in the area because it seems to be a favorite with the locals. Who knows..

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tuomas H
Knoxville, Tennessee
“UGLY on the outside, GREAT on the inside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

This little restaurant is REALLY UGLY on the outside. Because of that, even given the good reviews I was hesitant to stop. Hunger and curiosity overcame, however and we had a great experience.

To start with, the dining area, while quirky, is modern and clean. The floors, walls and tables were spotless. It was a very pleasant surprise given the rough exterior. The young man who waited on us was attentive without being pushy and got our order correct on the first try. A couple nearby had some kind of menu malfunction concerning ingredients, so if you are not sure what an item contains, it might be best to ask.

They have a bar and a wide selection of beer, none of which we sampled- we were on the road.

Their specialty is burgers, and my, what a selection. They had everything from the standards to gwak burgers, lots of different cheeses etc etc. The beef was excellent, juicy without an over abundance of grease. The toppings were fresh and flavorful. The burgers were served with a lot of fries that were also fresh and tasty.

The menu contains a few chicken sandwiches, salads, and such, but this is primarily a burger shop. We saw a fair number of locals come in around 6 pm, and a few travelers who trust their "trip adviser" more than their eyes. :)

One other thing, they serve a southern tradition- fried Oreos. My wife loves these things and says they were excellent. I take her word on that one.

So, overall, a fun experience, great food, good service. Price was right at $25 for two all in, including the fried Oreos and a drink.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Leslie T
Santa Fe
“Solid burger, great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

The burger I had here was good, huge but I'm a burger snob and I wouldn't put this super high on my list. It's a bargain that's for sure. The staff is really super and efficient. The ambience is fine, I wouldn’t call it a dive but these days that may mean it is fashionable after the TV show. I think of a dive as not much to look at or broken down, this isn't the case here.

For me, the meat is critical on a burger, then how it's cooked. I wasn't asked how I wanted it cooked, my mistake for not specifying Med Rare if they would do that. At Med, the meat isn't as juicy or tasty as burgers I put higher on my list but the other ingredient were fresh. Not sure coming from NM what they consider 'green chili' which I requested on the burger.

For a small town, absolutely severable burger, but if someone says it's the best they ever had, they need to eat more burgers (try "The Bite" (formally Bobcat Bite) in Santa Fe. That's a green chili burger !

Visited March 2014
Colorado
“Funky Diner, Great Burgers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We tried Wize Apples on our way through Alamosa, having read some good reviews about it here on Trip Advisor. Since we were limited on time, we placed an order to go. Though every table in the restaurant was not taken, we were told we had to wait 25-30 minutes for our carry out order as "the grill was completely full."

Our food was worth the wait. Portions were absolutely huge; it would have been easy to share a burger and fries, but we were glad we each had our own burger. We enjoyed a bacon cheese burger with fries and a green chile cheese burger with onion rings. Both were cooked the way we wanted with all condiments we ordered, and the fresh green chile was excellent.

You can order over 10 different types of burgers from the menu, or build your own. There were easily two large potatoes cut into french fries on our order, and the onion rings were hot, delicious and also served in a generous portion.

The atmosphere of the Wize Apple is surely funky, not at all fancy, but service is good and the food is even better. We would surely stop here again next time we're in Alamosa.

• Visited August 2013