“Bugs! Bedbugs!”
Review of Lamplighter Motel

Lamplighter Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alamosa
Lamplighter Motel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Alamosa
Edmonton
“Bugs! Bedbugs!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

The lady who checked us in was lovely, so helpful. We looked at the room and it seemed worn but fine, no obvious mold or nasty smells. It also came with a hot breakfast. In the morning I had a couple of itchy bites so checked further into the bed. Yep, bedbugs. We told the fellow who was at the desk, he said the previous guest must have left them. I don't think so, they were well established. He obviously didn't care and wasn't about to do anything about it. We had our breakfast and as the day went on I developed a swack of itchy red bites.

That is a first in many nights of hotel/motel travel. What a trip spoiler. I hope we never run across such blatant disregard for a guests health again. Traveller beware!

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 102
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Madony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Greeley, Colorado
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The rate was the cheapest place to stay close to the Train which we were taking in the morning. It seemed clean but the A/C broke in the middle of the night and blew heat - we woke up sweating; the Refrigerator did not work, the Free Wi-Fi was only available sitting in the office. The people were friendly. Would I stay again, not unless I didn't have a tent.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Alamosa hotels

Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here two nights and had a nice stay. The staff was friendly enough, and the included breakfast was nice. The room was clean and we had no problems. I really liked the brick walls inside the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kerrville, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had the misfortune of stopping here, as it was the only motel in the area with a room. There was some type of an event that we did not know about going on. We had come to the area to look at some real estate.

Anyway, we went in and the lady at the desk was nice, we grimaced at the 85.00 dollar rate, but figured since it was the only room in Alamosa that night, what else could we do? We drove to the room, and it being a very hot day{middle of July} went into the room and turned on the air conditioner. As I unloaded the luggage from the car, my Mother, who was traveling with us, came out and said that the a/c was blowing very hot air. I went in and it really was, in fact it was blowing out heated air. I soon figured out that the knob was not correct and turned it to a different setting, the air seemed cooler, so I went about unloading the car.

However, I was wrong about the a/c, it never got cold, the compressor in the unit never came on, no matter where the knob was set. So, we called the office and reported it. The nice lady came, and she could not get it to work either, so she said she would have her boss come and look at it.

Meanwhile, two other travelers down the way from us got into a terrible argument with each other, I joked to my wife that their a/c probably didn't work either and that they were each cranky, thus the argument...well that business got so bad that the management called the police and for over an hour there was shouting, and other goings on between these other travelers, the police, and the management of the motel.

Finally it was over and the police left. Meanwhile, our a/c continued to blow tepid air, and the boss never showed up to look at it. I went back to the office in person, and "the boss" was there. He had a nasty attitude about it, and grudgingly came to the room to look at our unit.

He turned some knobs and then strictly told me, " not to touch his settings". Yeah! In a room I paid nearly a hundred bucks for! Then he went on to say, that we didn't understand, that in Alamosa's climate, it got to 45 degrees and that eventually it would be cool in our room.

It was then that I realized that our unit was still set for winter, and that the compressor was not even hooked up at all. I looked at the unit, and saw that the thing was set to draw in minute amounts of air from the outside! Arrrgh!

Then I told him, in other words, you are telling me that I have to wait till two or three in the morning for this room to cool off before I can go to sleep? He said: "Now you understand" and walked out. Well, I was not about to pay that much for a room and have to do that, so I told him we were leaving and that we expected our money back.

He got very angry and started shouting at my wife and I, while we remained calm. He was yelling so loud that I was having a hard time understanding him at all, regardless I loaded our belongings back in the car. He came back and started shouting at us that we had used a bar of soap. You know the little two by three inch bars...and that my mom had pulled the bedspread down, and screamed at us that we would not get all our money back.

I went to the office to get whatever type of a refund we would get, and the whole time this fellow continued to scream at me and it was then that I realized he was berating me and cussing me. Like I said, I could barely understand him. I continued to remain calm and talked in a kind manner to him, which was very hard given the ugly things he was saying to me. I finally told him that I would appreciate it if he would extend the same respect to me as a fellow human being that I was extending to him, and to please stop screaming an calling me names. He then, to my relief stopped railing on me.

He gave us most of our money back, but kept almost eight dollars for that tiny bar of soap that we unwrapped and for my mom's turning the covers back.

I will never, ever again stay in any motel that carries this name. I have never been treated so rudely by a business, and they were in the wrong! We did nothing! We had to go back over Le Veta pass in the dark, and I was very tired by that time as I had been driving all day already, and go to Pueblo to spend the night, we were unable to return at any time on our trip to see the real estate we wanted to look at, and we are still very bummed by that.

So...travelers...beware! Stay away from this place lest you meet the same fate!

Jeff B.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Jeff B
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We chose this hotel because it's on main street and we could walk to shops and restaurants. The rooms are circa 1966, pink tub, pink toilet, and brick wall design. The bedding is old (one of the sheets has a huge rip) and the blankets are worn and pilled. We did a thorough check of the bedding, walls, and curtains for bed bugs but didn’t find any. The mattresses are new so I suspect the bugs were here at some point - I don’t think the owners would replace anything unless they were forced. The pool and hot tub are 5 blocks down the road (!) and we checked them out on the way back from dinner. The pool was, well, opaque and my youngest son said, “Mommy, where’s the bottom?” We didn’t swim. We do get free breakfast in he morning, but I don’t have high hopes. If your family is stopping in Alamosa for a night over as you visit the nearby sites, try the Ramada Inn on Santa Fe Street. I looks like they have an indoor mini water park and newer rooms. They might be more expensive but I’m sure it’s worth it compared to the Lamplighter.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ronda I
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have heard that they have supposedly "fixed" their Bed Bug problem. But they have NOT. They were HUGE and very WELL FED!

My family of four (with two children) stayed here the night before last. We were happy to get a room during a busy weekend. Good price as well. We walked into the room and it was very quaint and had a pleasing atmosphere at first. Then we noticed the air conditioner was pointed right at a half-wall... weird. Then the lighting was that horrible flickering florescent tubes above the head of each bed. We went to put our water int the fridge to find out that it was unplugged and had a notice that said that the power to it was attached to the light switch in the room- which also controlled the TV and all outlets in the room: all on or all off.

All this was "meh" for the complaints department... Until I pulled the sheet back a HUGE bed bug, and I did Google the images to double check- it was definitely a giant, well fed bright red bed bug. I drowned it in the toilette and hunted for more. We found a total of 5- and they were big bright red plump and juicy ones (they still looked flat, but not 2 dimensional like hungry ones). Then we looked at the brick wall... hundreds of baby spiders had just hatched and were crawling all over! It was like something out of X-Files. BUT~ spiders eat bed bugs, so we were happy to see them . in . a . very . odd . way.... Anyway. We hoped for the best after it was about 2am and we were tired from driving all day and hunting for bed bugs and slept with our own blankets and with our heads at the foot of the bed away from the spider kingdom.

After the worst sleep of my life- waking up every 15 min to slap "bugs" off of me, I woke up in the morning to find my 10yo daughter covered in 22 (TWENTY-TWO) bites!

The kicker??? When we told the manager about the bed bug problem in our room (123) his response was that they had never had bed bugs in "...that room... "!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tami M
Page, Arizona
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Value is fine and good location. If you are looking to time travel back to 1973 look no further. A close walking distance to the brew pub is the reason I chose this place and everything worked out well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo