“Have you aver ate at Mexican buffets before? It's a bad one, trust me.”

Calvillo's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 67 Restaurants in Alamosa
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I have something to compare to, so this one a really mediocre place.
When I asked for a menu, I was told that they have only ONE cook and I'll have to wait 40 min if I want to order Fajitas. So we had no real choice and went to the buffet area.

The buffet area was twice smaller than in other places we've been before. The food was dull, not even looked as Mexican. Couple enchaladas, some fish, some chicken, strange beef and that's it. No fajitas, no chumichanga, no quesadias. It was more like low-quality american buffet.
In dessert area the flan was overcooked (brown inside), and no sopapias, no churros were found.

So my advise is - get your $11 and get yourself some freshly cooked burger.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

This is a mixed review. My husband said the Burito Azteca was the best burito he's ever had -- loaded with pork, which was seasoned to perfection, and with some onions & green peppers. He loved that it wasn't stuffed with beans or rice.

I had the chile rellenos, which were heavily coated in egg/batter (then fried, of course). They were very good, but i had just had the most amazing rellenos the night before in Montrose, so these did not really compare. The beans & rice were ok - 2-3 stars, almost like coming straight from a can. (Oh yeah, we ordered off the menu; did not get the buffet.)

The green chile sauce was awesome - I'm not sure if it was my rellenos or the sauce, but my mouth was ON FIRE from spice. I actually love heat, so I did not mind. (I need to build up my tolerance anyway). My husband also got the green chile sauce on his burrito, and loved it too. He also thought it was spicy, but not overwhelmingly so. (He also can eat spicier foods than me.)

The atmosphere was ok - I'm not sure how much better it gets in Alamosa cuz this was the only place we ate at! Overall, very good main dishes.

1  Thank Jrlisak
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Ate here for dinner as recommended by a park ranger at the Great Sand Dunes National park. He did not steer us wrong, the food was good and the buffet had tons of options. I wish I could have eaten more. The staff was friendly.

1  Thank mom_in_dfw
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Best selection in the area. Outstanding hot and cold buffets, always fresh. We always stop there when traveling between Boulder and points southwest. On Sundays we have been entertained by a mariachi band. On last trip "check engine" light on dash threatened to seriously delay our travel. The maitre de offered to call his personal mechanic. 15 minutes later he shows up with a portable code reader, attaches the the loose spark plug wire and charges me $10. I gave him $20 and had a happy meal.

2  Thank Bolderdam
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We chose this restaurant after checking out all the great reviews. Our waiter told us they make the "best margaritas in town". Really? Mine, seriously, had no taste and I'm not even sure it had any tequila in it. I ordered the Chimichanga with Chicken; not like any chimi I've ever had before. It was more like a deep fried burrito and not much chicken. I was bummed. Maybe it was just an off day for them...but I'm not sure I'd go back.