“Hike and view was beautiful and bungee jump was amazing”
Review of Bridge To Nowhere

Reviewed June 29, 2018

I hiked here to bungee jump. The hike was stunning and the view was beautiful. If you love hiking and are a keen hill walker this is a fantastic hike

All reviews
"rocks"
in 6 reviews
"nikes"

Reviewed April 23, 2018

This is now one of my new favorite hikes in LA County. I was joined by 7 other women. We arrive in the parking lot at 6:20am on a Saturday morning in April. We got one of the last spots in the lot. Less than two minutes later cars were filing in. Some people had to park a mile or more away. You must have an Adventure Pass to park in the lot.

We began our hike at 6:50am. The water crossing were very easy and once the sun came out, it was refreshing. We stopped several times to take in the view. We saw a family of Big Horn Sheep on the side of the cliff. That was spectacular. We also had to back track twice because the trail was taken out by a landslide. The GPX on Alltrails still shows that trail. Just stick to the River and follow it until you know you are back on the track.

We stayed at the bridge for almost an hour. We ate lunch, relaxed and took in the view. Weekends get busy but I really don't mind. I prefer to hike around groups of people than being alone.

Our moving time was 6hr and 3min. Total time was about 7 hours and 10 minutes including stops. We were back at our cars by 2pm.

Clothing: Early morning layers. I also wore Keen Hiking Boots that I just got wet. I brought an extra pair of socks that I changed into at the bridge. I also put flip flops in my car for the drive home. You can wear closed toe hiking sandals but be aware that there are a lot of small rocks that get in them. A couple ladies in our group wore them and were not thrilled.

Take 3 liters of water. I drank all but about a 1/2 liter.

There is very little shade for much of the hike so wear and bring sunscreen and a hat. It was cold in the morning but it got very hot in the early afternoon.

Take a lot of snacks and a sandwich.

There are bathrooms at the trail head but there are NO bathrooms on the trail. Be prepared to squat ladies!

And always remember to TAKE YOUR TRASH WITH YOU INCLUDING ORANGE AND BANANA PEELS. They are not natural to the environment and take a long time to decompose. Bring an extra trash bag for all of your trash.

Enjoy!

1  Thank Debra G
Reviewed April 10, 2018

April 8, 2018 Hike

We finally made it to the Bridge to No Where hike and had the best day! We were a little hesitant based on many varied reviews, but we are here to say this is a must try hike. However, it is not for everyone. So we have what we hope are helpful tips. It took us 6.5 hours round trip but we did take our time and stopped for a while at the bridge. If you were efficient in and out I would estimate you could do it in 5.

Getting there: If you GPS it the directions tell you to "Keep left onto Shoemaker Canyon Rd" but this is incorrect. You need to stay right on E East Fork Rd. You will go over a white bridge, if you don't you are not going the right way. This road ends in a parking lot on your left and you can park along the road on both sides.

What time to get there: We got there at 6:40 am on a Sunday morning and would recommend this time. It was nice and cool out to start the hike, and there was still plenty of parking. The parking lot was already completely full but we parked close by down the side of the street. We waited for our friends until 7:15 am and by that time it was completely packed, for reference on how fast parking fills up.

Weather/ temperature: The day was absolutely perfect! It was very chilly when we started, so much so that we saw people bundling in beanies and coats. We didn't want to pack all that out so we wore very few layers. It got to be nicely warm by the time we reached the bridge, even so it was breezy at the top. The hike back was just perfect, the water was refreshing by this point.

Will you get wet? Yes! You cross back and forth through water at least 6 - 9 times. On April 8, 2018 the water was at the most knee deep, mostly ankle. But there really is no other way to get across, you have to wade through the water.

What to wear: I wore DriFit capris, Nikes with dri-fit socks, a tank, a long sleeve in the morning and a hat and sunglasses in the afternoon. I would highly recommend tennis shoes and socks. I hiked all ten miles going back and forth through the water and I was super comfortable. I was very nervous about hiking in wet shoes but honestly it wasn't bad at all. My feet were never cold and by the time it got warm out wet shoes and walking through the water felt really good.

What to bring: sunscreen and lots of water! For two adults and one dog we brought two gallons and two liters and drank almost all of it. We also brought trail snacks and lunch for the bridge, highly recommended as its a long day.

Is it dog friendly? For an active, in-shape dog, absolutely! This hike is not for the faint of heart. It is long and rugged terrain, but for a medium to large breed that runs every day it is perfect. Our Doberman had a blast! There were many reviews that made us skeptical about bringing our dog, but this time of year it was fine. There were three large dogs in our group and they all hiked the whole way just fine. No exhaustion, no bleeding pads as some people reference. They were fine. Just be sure to bring them enough water. While dogs should be on leash, almost every dog we came across was off leash but well mannered and behaved. So I would say as long as your dog is dog and people friendly, its a go. We also saw many small dogs on this hike (little fluffy dogs, dachshunds, cocker spaniels), I personally wouldn't bring my small dog on this hike as its just too long and rough for tiny paws.

Who can hike this? This hike, while easy, is long and requires endurance and balance. The terrain is pretty uneven so its not great for the elderly or older folks. And I would say it is a little long for kids. There were 8 active adults in our group and it was pretty much a cake walk. We were tired and sore when we finished, so we would recommend stretching before getting in your car to drive home.

Where is the trail? This is a little tricky and just requires a little intuition and problem solving. I would say there isn't one main defined trail. There is a visible trail in some places but there is no real clear place that tells you where to cross back and forth the river. So we followed what other people suggested and found it incredibly helpful. You want to stay pretty close to the river, if you can't see it or hear you have veered off the right path. For the most part you'll be hiking on the right side of the river going towards the bridge. We crossed about 7 - 9 times. That seemed about right to us. Our hike back was about 50% different than the hike going, which I why I say its difficult to follow any one path. As long as you stay close to the river you'll be fine.

All in all, a great hike. Very scenic the entire time. Keep your eyes out for big horn sheep on the mountain. We were lucky to spot a bunch and it was an epic sight. The bridge is awesome! You can hike to the bottom and swim or picnic. We sat on the bridge and watched the bungee jumpers and ate lunch before hiking back.

2  Thank L S
Reviewed April 4, 2018

This the #1 thing to do in Azusa.... hands down. The hike is about 5 miles from the parking area to the Bridge over none paved terrains. Bring hat, and a pair of good hiking shoes. During the 2 to 3 hour hike (in each direction) will require you to cross the stream 5 to 6 times per direction. So plan to get your shoes wet... not a bad thing during a warm day...

Beautiful scenery. Limited bathroom access. bring water. wear hat. bring snacks. rocks, sand, dirt, water (knee high at higest during our trip), best not bring small dogs (unless you wanna carry them), limited parking in the lot (park on the side of the road), plan a 5 to 6 hrs time slot, sunscreen, think twice if you are starting the trek 3.5 hrs before sunset.

1  Thank Steven C