“Love their breakfast!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The breakfast menu has a very good variety and everything we have tired has been great. My hustand especially loves the lobster omelet.

I usually have basic eggs and sausage and they are served with great homefries. I have problems with the green pepper and they will gladly leave it out.

They are usually packed and service is very quick. The portions are large and you can (for a small charge) split your entree. It isn't the fanciest place you will ever eat, but the food will bring you back over and over.

There are newer reviews for Fat Cats

Reviewed November 22, 2012

You have to love consistency and that some things just don't change. The first time I had breakfast at Fat Cats was over 22 years ago when I sought shelter during a winter storm for the night in the harbor with the Coast Guard boat I was bringing north to Bodega Bay. The crew and I had breakfast on our way out in the morning and I remember the food was good and portions were big enough to fill the bellies of four hungry coasties before we continued our trip northward. We talked about it the whole day and I kept saying someday... if I'm ever back in that area I'm eating at Fat Cats. Well, someday finally came:) Retired from the Coast Guard now, my wife and I spent our anniversary week in Pismo Beach. And, you guessed it, on our way out of town, prior to heading northward and home, we stopped at Fat Cats for breakfast. The food is good. It's not a fine dining experience, so if you're looking for hoity toity, expensive, perfect eggs, etc. please don't go. If you're looking for great food, a pound of breakfast potatoes, great biscuits and gravy, excellent coffee, awesome service, family atmosphere, and oh yeah, a homemade cinnamon roll (get it with the icing) that may be the best you ever had (it was for me), then stop by Fat Cats. Just save a seat for my and wife and I, we'll be back again, and much sooner than 22 years from now:)

2  Thank OldManRiver1
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We've had breakfast at Fat Cats in Avila Beach many times. We've always had good service and good food. Today, I tried the Fat Cats Benedict with hash browns. I loved it. The poached eggs were perfectly cooked. My husband had eggs, pancakes, and bacon. He thought his was very good as well. I don't drink coffee and prefer green tea over black. I appreciate that they do offer green tea. And, the tea came with honey and lemon. Perfect! There was only one waitress. She was very busy, but good and attentive.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The restaurant is cute with a cozy patio, and we visit several times a year. The food is reasonably priced, my husband likes the burgers but I always wind up with I feel is a mediocre plate.

Today, I ordered the fish tacos. My plate was served with rice and beans. The Spanish rice was from an old mix, (Rice-a-Roni?) and the beans were obviously from a can. What alarmed me most, was that both the beans and rice were lukewarm, as if they had been sitting in a cool steam table. (They were obviously not freshly made.) Now, anyone in food service knows that rice is very dangerous when left in the temperature danger zone. Steam tables should be maintained at a minimum of 145 degrees to keep bacteria from growing. I politely complained and asked for the manager but there was none in the building. My rice and beans were then microwaved and brought back to me. I didn't eat them...Who knows how long they had been sitting around at a dangerous temperature.

The staff also appeared unkempt, (dirty aprons and pants) and unsupervised. The 10% discount we were offered off our check was no compensation for a meal that might make me ill and left me feeling disgruntled, sick to my stomach and disgusted.

Visit at your own risk.

3  Thank Nancy K
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stopped in for breakfast, as I was near the court house. There is another location near the port. Food was fine, the staff was nice. Nothing special. Many people love their fish but I didn't try it first hand. Portions were good and price was decent. Worth a try!