Avila La Fonda Hotel
Avila Lighthouse Suites(Avila Beach)(Great Value!)
$179
$174
Travelocity
Inn at Avila Beach(Avila Beach)
$289
Avila Village Inn(Avila Beach)(Great Value!)
$189
TripAdvisor
$636
$239
Groupon.com
Spyglass Inn(Pismo Beach)(Great Value!)
$149
$134
Travelocity
Shell Beach Inn(Shell Beach)(Great Value!)
$125
The Inn at the Cove(Pismo Beach)(Great Value!)
$189
$169
Inn at the Cove
San Luis Bay Inn(Avila Beach)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsnachoscroissantspiesmurphy bedwelcome basketwine and appetizerswine receptioncomplimentary snacksat noonsnack basketparting giftdouble showerhappy hourspa roomfull kitchenice creamjacuzzi tub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 26, 2013

So glad we stumbled upon this little gem! It's a cute little boutique hotel right in the heart of Avila and just about a block and a half from the beach. The rooms are comfortable and clean, with a great gift basket. Our room even had a jacuzzi tub! All the amenities are great....Wine receptions, fresh baked pies, chocolate croissants in the morning! The staff are so nice and welcoming they really made it seem like we were staying in their home! We will be back

• Stayed: November 2013
Avila_La_Fonda_Hotel, General Manager at Avila La Fonda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear MelindaJames6,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We pride ourselves on providing the best experience possible for our guests. I am so pleased that you were able to take advantage of the many things that makes the La Fonda so special.

We look forward to another opportunity to serve you in the near future!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

There were some things that were really great about this hotel, but nonetheless, we left early and stayed at another hotel.
Great: Nice reservation desk people, GREAT snacks put out about every 4 hours starting with unreal chocolate croissants at breakfast, make-your-own nachos around noon with Coronas and "real" Cokes, wine happy hour with cheeses, fruits & crackers, homemade pies with local fruits at around 8:00 from local bakery, fresh made, huge choc chip cookies and milk at 10:00, walking about 1-2 blocks to the beach, great for kids. All of this was really good, a nice added bonus and fun.
Not So Great: 2 types of rooms: 1 with Jacuzzi in bedroom the other has Queen murphy bed (no, I'm not kidding!), some rooms (our first room) was about 12 inches from the sidewalk on the town's main street - God help you if you get 1 of these rooms!, the AC is a weird somewhat portable unit that's loud and difficult to obtain desired temperature, lots of 20-something's hanging around the lobby being loud, taking up the fireplace area and visiting with their friends who work there, place run by the 20-something's...we never saw a staff member older than 25, Bellhops roaming around seeming to be looking to entertain themselves (they were nice though!), no HBO although advertised as having it, loud parking lot on back side, really loud street on front.
We won't be going back, but if you don't mind loud, have the money and want to bring your kids on a beach vacation, you might love it. It was just the 2 of us, so....not so much!

Room Tip: Nothing on the ground floor! You have to choose between street side or parking lot side. The parking lot is for the public beach and fills up early, but I think that's better than loud traffic noise late at night, so choose a room on the back? or west-ish side.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SanDiegoJJo
Christopher K, General Manager at Avila La Fonda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear SanDiegoJJo,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of some of the wonderful things that we offer here at the Avila La Fonda Hotel. In saying that I do understand that our hotel is not for everybody. Regarding the Queen Murphy Bed, it appeared that this was not something that you felt was an acceptable form of bedding. Again, I understand that our style is not for everyone and I think it would help to explain why we opted for the Queen Murphy Beds rather than standard bedding. As you may have noticed all of our Great Rooms are designed with family in mind; which is why during the day the Murphy Bed is in the upright position to allow for a large area for entertaining and relaxing. Featuring full kitchens; our Great Rooms work great for a certain clientele but certainly not for everyone. We do provide a turn-down service and second maid service each day in which your bed is turned down and your entire room is cleaned. We also provide all guests occupying Great Rooms with a full ice bucket and indulgent Ghirardelli chocolates on their pillows. This is one of the many ways we attempt to indulge our guests in above average services and amenities. I understand that the proximity to the street was rather close, as it is with most hotels in heavily populated areas. I assure you that although the town is very popular during the day, at sundown the noise from our residential community is rarely an issue. It seems there was some confusion regarding our staff members. We hand select each and every one of our employees based on their qualifications and personality. While it may have appeared that our staff was entertaining themselves and friends, what you actually witnessed is our staff doing what they do best; entertaining our wonderful guests! We do in fact offer HBO and would have been happy to assist you in locating the specific channel if given the opportunity. I am so sorry to hear that the Avila La Fonda Hotel was not for you. We truly hope that you can find a place where you feel right at home as most of our guests do!

Best regards,

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have stayed here a total of four times and I am sorry to say we will look for another property next time. This time and the last stay we noticed that repairs and updates are needed. Hot tub jets were brown and looked worn. Funky smell when water first started to fill tub. Shower heads were extremely full of hard water stains. Internet was available but could hardly log on and received many "too full" errors. We also stayed on the bottom floor for the first time. I will NEVER do that again. It was very noisy. Despite requesting the upper floor, we were not accomodated. I do realize that not all requests are granted but it was our anniversary and to top it off, they put a family with children right above us! We used to love it here but it seems they are more interested in what gift items they are selling in the lobby, rather than keeping their rooms up to date or being accomodating.

Room Tip: Never stay on the bottom floor!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jediprincess26

Dear JediPrincess26,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to let others know about your experience with us. As with any hotel over time there are certain maintenance items that need to be addressed, we do our absolute best to address all items in a timely fashion. While it does appear that there were some minor issues that required our attention I assure you that these items will be addressed in due time as we take deep pride in providing the best product possible within our ability. My only regret is that we were not given the opportunity by you to make things right. Regarding the spa jets, I understand that there seems to be a slight discoloration from the jacuzzi tub itself to the jets I assure you this is only because the jets are in fact a slightly different than the color of the jacuzzi tub itself because they were recently replaced. As you may know it is not always possible to match color perfectly. I sincerely apologize that you felt this was unacceptable. As for the odor you mentioned I again wish we were informed of this so we could have done some investigating, this is something we have never heard before and would love to look into what this might have been. The hard water stains you mentioned are simply a hazard of the business and we are in the midst of replacing all shower heads as we do each and every year after the busy season. As for the WiFi issues you experienced I am not quite sure if that wasn't merely a connectivity issue which could have been easily resolved with a quick call down to one of our attentive staff members. We explain to all of our guests that requests are just that, and while we do our absolute best to accommodate each and every one it is sometimes simply not possible. As you may have noticed we have a reputation of being extremely accommodating, especially when someone is celebrating an anniversary, birthday or any other special occasion; which is why we provided anyone celebrating their anniversary with a complimentary bottle of champagne. You mentioned our gift shop had some new items which are, I must mention all local products. Our 100% soy glassed-over candles were introduced as a way to recycle the wine bottles that we have left after our complimentary evening wine receptions. I assure you that introducing new items to our gift shop takes up very little time and we are still 100% focused on providing an outstanding experience for each and every guest we encounter. I am sorry to hear that you will not be returning to our property. I do ask that you take the time to contact me directly so that we can discuss the issues you experienced personally.

Best regards,

Avila La Fonda Hotel
805/595-1700
manager@avilalafondahotel.com

Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I took a few days of needed vacation away and decided to stay here. This was by far the best place we have ever stayed. The staff were incredibly nice and helpful. The morning croissants, afternoon nachos, wine, pies, etc. This place has it all and does not charge for every little amenity. I forgot to mention the generous gift basket, the gorgeous room, and the amazing little town. We will be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Stacie K,

Wow! What a wonderful review. We simply cannot thank you enough for taking the time to let others know about your recent visit to our Inn. It is so nice to know that you felt value in staying with us and that you consider it a place of relaxation and that you were able to take advantage of some of the wonderful things that we do for our guests. We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for an evening as we made our way down the coast for vacation and I gotta say that it was the highlight of our trip. From its old Spanish decor to the family feel, we enjoyed it so much that we actually wished we just stayed in Avila beach and enjoyed the hotel longer.

Since this is a boutique hotel, it's more quaint and you're more likely to get a room if you reserve in advance since it's small. Having said that, you will NOT be disappointed staying here. The staff is extremely kind and courteous and you are immediately treated like family. We received complimentary glasses upon check in and a cute box of truffles when we left as a thank you. They had a lovely selection of books, DVD's and CD's to borrow for your stay at no additional cost as well as an entire 24hr snack room that's all based on the honor system. All snacks and beverages you purchase are sold at wholesale so there's no up charge like most other hotels do. Their philosophy is to keep you happy by treating you fair and not ripping you off like most other hotels do.

During the evening you're invited to the lobby for complimentary wine and snacks followed by homemade fruit pies and ice cream which are awesome!

We lucked out getting a room cause we were just passing through on our coastal road trip and there just happened to be one room available. It happened to be one of the best rooms which included a jacuzzi, terrace, sofa, fireplace, fridge and microwave. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention the snack basket full of complimentary goodies in our room including microwave popcorn for you to enjoy while watching a movie! For my wife and I, it was extremely romantic and certainly rivaled the upscale hotels we stayed at when going through Big Sur earlier in our trip.

Whether it's for a few nights or just an evening passing through Avila beach, this place is leaps and bounds worth EVERY penny you spend! Do yourself a favor and treat yourself by staying here, you will not regret it!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Solo0312,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. As a Senior Contributor to TripAdvisor it's nice to know that a seasoned traveler such as yourself found our Inn to be worthy of a 5 star rating. I am so pleased to hear that the staff, accommodations and amenities were up to par with your expectations. Please come back and see us again soon.