“All about Ambience”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
Nevada
“All about Ambience”
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We needed a break from our fierce summer heat in the desert so the coast seemed a good idea. Didn't want a big hotel or adjacent freeway,railroad,airport or noise. But we wanted First Class comfort and a pleasant setting at a reasonable cost.

We got it all right at the Avila Village Inn. It is however a few miles to the beaches and local restaurants (great seafood!) in Avila Beach, Port San Luis and Pismo Beach so you will need a car.

(Avila Village is a small complex of homes, leisure facilities and a quality general store situated in a tree-lined river valley about 3 miles inland from the ocean).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Santa Ynez, Ca
Reviewed July 23, 2009

What a nice surprise..when we arrived, we had a hot fresh baked cookie and ice cold water with lemon..where do you get that? Our room was beautiful, clean, and very roomy. The balcony was small but all we needed was that hot tub!! The employees were so very pleasant and helpful. To be able to use the athletic club next door is a big plus, and even the breakfast was a plus. What a great place to stay!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
omaha, NE
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We just spent a glorious 4 days in the Avila area resting each evening here. The rooms were clean and inviting with a fireplace, hottub and comfortable King size bed. We are allergic to feathers and the staff went out of their way to find us replacements. The breakfasts were filling with standard fare of rolls, cereals, oatmeal, juice and coffee. Another big thumbs up is the health club you can attend next door which includes 2 pools. It's not on the beach, so that makes it all the more affordable.

1 Thank husker4
Solvang, California
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Living just an hour away in Solvang it seems that we've had to drive 2-3 hours to "get away". After accidently finding Avila Village Inn online we were offered a fantastic deal. Upon arriving you know that you are at someplace special. The air was clean and the trees and the.....ok on and on. Walking inside it seemed like a spa retreat that would cost several hundred dollars. The lady at the front desk was incredibly helpful and friendly. Checking out the room we could not believe the deal we were getting. As we walked outside to grab our luggage, my girlfriend and I shouted "Score!" We are anxious to come back and spend 2-3 days stuck in this gorgeous hidden gem!

1 Thank photocrafter
London
Reviewed July 1, 2009

This was the fourth place we stayed when driving the PCH from San Francisco to Los Angeles and it was a very pleasant surprise. We booked it as a halfway house between Big Sur and Santa Barbara, but would have happily stayed for another day or two.
This is not on the beach, but I am sure that you get much more for your buck here than on the boardwalk.
It is clean, friendly and has very sizeable rooms with excellent bathrooms. The air con is a little noisy and is definitely needed despite it being relatively cold outside.
The gym and swimming facilities are better than almost anywhere else I have ever stayed - particularly the pool. These are not part of the hotel, but you have free entrance and it is only next door. I woke up at 8am and went swimming in an outdoor laned 25-metre pool and was the only person in the pool. This was after a 5k run at the gym. I can't say I've ever had those facilities anywhere else and definitely not for the price we've paid.
The two or three people we spoke to on the desk were all excellent and genuinely friendly. They were happy to help at all times.
We took bikes and took the mile-long trail behind the hotel down to Avila promenade, which is also strongly recommended.
My only criticism of the place is its green credentials. I think they should lose the disposable plates, cups and cutlery for breakfast.
I would also strongly recommend eating at the Old Port Inn at the end of the 3rd Pier.

1 Thank Teigester
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 24, 2009

I stayed here for one night recently and wish I would of had time to stay longer. This is not an ordinary hotel and has a cozier, friendly atmosphere. I arrived before noon and thought I'd check and see if maybe my room was available. As luck would have it, I was given my room card and up to the second floor I went. When I opened the door I was so happy to see the room in perfect shape and it looked just like the pictures on their website. Bathroom had a large jacuzzi tub/shower combo, and a two sinks.. Nicely decorated too. In the living room a wet bar with a coffee maker, small fridge and wine buckets with two wine glasses. The lighting in the room gave you many options and the bedding was very luxurious. The view I had was of the hills with the estate homes and some of the tennis courts across the way, although the property has so many trees you didn't notice them that much.
I could go on and on but I feel many reviewers have already mentioned the other amenities offered on the property. I will definitely be coming back here in the near future!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank schintz
Lake Chares, LA
Reviewed May 16, 2009

My husband and I chose this hotel to stay at in August 2008. We went to California for my older brother's wedding, as well as a getaway for our own two year anniversary.

We absolutely loved the Inn. We both work at a resort and so we have expectations and know exactly what to look for.

The rooms were CLEAN. We had a creek side room with the hot tub outside. It was beautiful. Maybe a bit small but I actually liked that about the room. The fireplace in the room was a GREAT touch. Being in Louisiana, I am used to wet heat... California was a bit chilly for me so I LOVED the fireplace! The bathrooms were HUGE. The shower in the bathroom was VERY clean and had a great ledge to sit. Beautiful bathroom. the TV was at a bit of an odd angle but that is because the room is a bit small. no big deal to me.

I didn't get to use many of the amenities, but one thing that I did like was the fridge in the room. We had bought some fruit from a local stand and i was glad for the fridge.
Also the little store a was a great thing. We bought some great crackers and smoked gouda there to snack on with our fruit. Also, the coffee stand in the lobby was the best. Plenty of teas and coffee all day (and night!) along with snacks like biscotti (which was the BEST i have had in a LONNG time... would love to order a case!)

The service was the best I could ask for. Our trip was cut short by a hurricane heading straight for my city. We had to leave early to evacuate our handicap relative. The employees at the Inn were VERY helpful. They managed (in 5 minutes time) to get us phone numbers to get our flights changed, directions to quickly get back to LA and catch our flight, and also did not charge us for the night even though we were leaving WELL after check out.

There was nothing that I did not enjoy about this Inn. The staff was great, the location was quiet, everything was perfect (except for the Hurricane i had to run home for!)

I recommend this hotel to ANYONE who is going to that area. No, it is not on the beach.. but it is 5 minutes away.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
#8 of 29 in Pismo Beach
Spyglass Inn
Spyglass Inn
#11 of 29 in Pismo Beach

Been to Avila Village Inn? Share your experiences!