“The Steaming tea kettle niose”
Review of Avila Village Inn

Avila Village Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
Los Angeles, CA
“The Steaming tea kettle niose”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Booked (8/8 to 8/13) for 6 nights, had to bring our small dog at last minute-even though we had originally made reservations about 4 months earlier, called one month ahead to change to a pet room. Ended up in Room #101, lost two nights of decent sleep due to a constant ever present "tintinitis" type of noise that permeates this room. Like a tea kettle-very annoying! They were aware of this pre-existing problem, yet they gave us this defective room because it is only "1 of 2 pet friendly" rooms in this entire "pet friendly" hotel. Wonder where all these other dogs came from? The clerk actually went in to our room to listen-and she agreed with me. Thursday A.M., an offer of a new room, #102 -with same sound!! Beautiful young clerk says, I dont have the authority to give you a different room. We're booked solid and the Hotel Manager is not here on the premises. All we have is a room with a broken jacuzzi but its not a "pet" room. "Never mind we cant sleep-its not a pet room!!" Complained again to Asst. Mgr. on Thursady 11:30 pm, this issue had been logged. As we're speaking a couple comes in-"no reservations"-and he gives them a room. Yet they did not want to accomodate a paid SIX night customer. He said "we dont know what that sound is...it's been a problem! WE were changed to a new room Friday A.M. Room # 104. The day clerk said "this is the best we could do". The same sound was present but not as annoying. I was quite tired by then-Friday ruined. Apparently they constructed a refrigeration (its next to their 2nd floor continental breakfast area) system ABOVE these rooms 101 thru 106. Are 2nd floor adjacent rooms also affected by this annoying sound? The grounds are well kept and it is a nice place. But I think the staff should have resolved this matter quickly and professionally. Imagine, no-one can help because a MANAGER is or was not present! I felt they gave me the the "old canned hotel answers excuse" as to why they could not give us an adequate and QUIET room. I think we were given a "discount" for the Wednesday and Thursday nights. "But, if you show up at midnight, you can get a room without a reservation." I won't be back. If you have a pet -caveat emptor.

Room Tip: If you must take a pet, ask how many "pet rooms" if indeed they are a pet friendly hotel a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I found this hotel on the web...read the reviews and thought it looked nice. It was very reasonable priced...it was the same price for a hotel in Pismo ( that I stayed at the previous year) on the beach, the previous hotel was ok but certainly not NICE...I thought for the same price I wanted to upgrade...knowing I won't be by the beach. Well let me tell you, we were so surprised when we pulled into an estate...the hotel is small but the estate it is in has a country club like pool house that the hotel has access to. Seven tennis courts, spa services, adult lap pool, jacuzzi, kids pool and jacuzzi, full gym and beautiful grounds to stroll around on. Now the Inn itself is super nice...high beam ceilings (chalet-like), floor to ceiling fire place in lobby...very cozy... hang out and play a game or cuddle up in a chair next to the fire and read a book. Coffee/tea 24 hrs. Fresh baked cookies mid day...YUM! Staff is very friendly. Rooms are clean. Get the jacuzzi room...it's worth it! Fireplace in room is so romantic. Rooms are spacious...well decorated. Only con is the pillows...they SUCK! Bring your own. TVs are small but I wasn't there to watch tv. Hike to beach was so nice...about 1.5 miles. You can walk, rent bikes or drive...it is a beautiful path...it goes around a golf course and along a creek. The beach is amazing...very kid friendly...cove-like so the waves are very small. Lots of cute shops and restaurants. The breakfast is very basic...but the set up is so cozy...it's like being in you own living room...cozy chairs and couches to sit at...tv on...coffee...just relaxing...best bowl of instant oatmeal ever:) What a find!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Seelentag
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Well Hotwire reservation is black list type of reservation . You get the best price for the worse room in the house .
We paid around 200 dollars and we got first floor room near the noisy lobby . The room was ib the front of the parking lot.
Small with ok bath . The front desk girl was sweet but not sweet to a point of giving us another room upon my unhappy face.
It's small hotel in the woods. Not neat the beach or anything that will give them such a huge Demond . Oh well it's July and it's three hours from losangeles . Will not be back . It was ok but not that great ! Sorry !

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank navawritz
London
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed in this palce as Avila was around half way on our way south. From the moment from driving to the parking lot, we knew we chose well. The building itself is beautiful with a lot of beams and a fireplace. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast wasn't great, plenty of plastic wrapped things from plastic cutlery but nevermind.

The room was so tastefully decorated, so clean and spaceous it felt like a treat to stay there. The jacuzzi was so lovely. The fireplace made the stay feel like sheer luxury. Our room was the cheapest kind, just wonder what the pricier ones are like..? Just wish we had stayed longer!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pippsan
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband and I patronized The Avila Village Inn for our 8th wedding anniversary. I'd never heard of it before but ran across it on a random web search. I'm so glad I found it! It's a smaller hotel with, I believe, 30 rooms total. 15 upstairs and 15 downstairs. We stayed in the Creek Side Suite and it was very secluded and peaceful. The room itself was nice. It has a living room with a fireplace, wet bar and built-in fridge, a TV, a couch and an oversized chair. The bedroom is separate and spacious with a fireplace, TV, queen size bed and an oversized chair. The bathroom is a nice size with double sinks, a separate glass/tile shower and jetted tub. The private Jacuzzi on the deck was the icing on the cake.

Now for the (small) cons: The TV's are REALLY small for how big the rooms are. I'm guessing maybe 27"?? For as inexpensive TV's are these days, they could use upgrading. The room was pretty clean except anywhere there was a "ledge" for dust to collect, there was dust build up (e.g. the picture frames, doors, corners of shelves). This is minor but should be mentioned for the price we paid for the room. The bed wasn't horrible but it wasn't spectacular. I did find myself tossing a bit. We were on the bottom floor and we could hear the people above us walking around and getting in and out of their squeaky bed. I'm thinking a little WD 40 would fix the problem. While the Jacuzzi was private, we could see people walking along the bike path but we never made eye contact. I don't know if they could see us but we could definitely see them.

The Pros: It's such a quaint and quite place. The staff was friendly. The decor in both the lobby and the room was plush and detailed. We kept the fireplaces on the entire night with both doors slightly cracked and the temp was perfect. The Jacuzzi was a great added plus. We got in it several times in the short time we were there. We took advantage of the spa next door and got massages. The staff was excellent. It was reasonably priced and worth every penny. We had dinner plans but after the massage and a dip in the Jacuzzi we didn't want to leave the room so we ordered in. There was a menu in our room for a place called The Rib Line. It made it to our room when they said it would and it was absolutely fabulous, probably the best BBQ we've had in a while. They even brought plates and plastic ware with our order, which we didn't think to ask for!

After booking the room, I got an email from the staff letting us know they looked forward to having us. After I got home I got a follow up email thanking us for staying. I have never got that from any hotel and I thought it was very courteous.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. It was just what we needed for a relaxing time away and we can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NailChickMich
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Nice hotel with all of the special touches. We were on the second floor, creekside with a hot tub on the balcony. Room was nicely decorated, had a comfortable bed, and a very large bathroom with 2 sinks. The hot tub was private and I loved the lemon-eucalyptus scented water - nice touch! Gourmet coffee, teas, and refreshing ice water was available in the lobby all day and fresh baked cookies were set out each afternoon. Breakfast was more than adequate - assorted hot/cold cereals, bagels, pastries The beach is about a 20 minute walk away. The only negative is that we could hear traffic noise on the main road which is on the other side of the creek on the backside of the property. We would definitely stay here again and will recommend to friends.

Room Tip: creekside is beautiful but beware of road noise if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hikingmomto
Atlanta Georgia
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel away from the beach crowd. Wonderful walking trail. The grassy front picture is deceiving as it is really the back entrance with no areas to relax and read.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
#11 of 29 in Pismo Beach
Cottage Inn by the Sea
Cottage Inn by the Sea
#6 of 29 in Pismo Beach

Been to Avila Village Inn? Share your experiences!