“Gr8 Views, Average food, High Prices”
Review of Olde Port Inn

Olde Port Inn
Ranked #6 of 24 Restaurants in Avila Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Cardiff
“Gr8 Views, Average food, High Prices”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was my first visit to the area and the 4 mile drive off of Hwy 101 to get to the bay is absolutely worth it. It's a bit of paradise, nestled in a hillside with a sandy beach, boats floating in the harbor and oceanside RV parking.

I drove to the end of the road and saw the building at the end of the pier, so I parked to walk over. It was fun to see and hear the sea otters along the pier, and the views were stunning.

The restaurant seating at the end of the pier offers good harbor views, fabulous sunsets and gr8 city light views. I had the sand dabs and both the fish & veggis were a bit oily for me. Service was average at 6 pm, but there were many reservations for the 7-8 sunset dining.

I love the area, but will try a different restaurant on my return, and hopefully RV parking!

• Korean first
Santa Rosa, California, United States
“Great view & dinner!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had dinner there on 8-6-13, for my husbands birthday. We made reservations through SLBI where we were staying. We called about corkage and they had no corkage fee, very nice! Up to 4 bottles, more than enough for us!! Joanna, was our waitress and she was very attentive and personable! We had a delicious bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp appetizer - deliciously decadent! Dinner was also plentiful and delicious. As we had a birthday boy, they graciously gave him the desert of his choice with candle! No singing which is good for all! Desert chosen was the cheesecake - WOW! We were stuffed but together managed to finish that! Highly recommend this restaurant for a romantic evening or just very good dinner. View is beautiful and on this night, the dolphins were giving us a show.

San Francisco, California
“Missed the boat”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have been waiting to eat here for at least 8 years. The timing passing through Avila was never right. This time we went for my birthday dinner . We reserved, in person, the day before. Upon arrival they had no record of our reservation. We tried to order local wines, and each time we chose one off the menu, they didn't have it! They seemed to only stock Napa wines. The food was okay, but way over priced for what it is: basic fish house. The au gratin potatoes unrefined and heavy, the sauteed fish greasy. The meal took forever to arrive because they had a party upstairs..at least 45 minutes between the salad and entree. The server was very sweet, but inexperienced, which is fine except when you are paying higher than average prices. I tried to order expresso after the meal, and they don't have an expresso machine!! The coffee served was literally undrinkable... It looked like they ran water through old grinds. The waitress did take the cost of the coffee off our check and brewed me a new cup, which was very thoughtful. The location and atmosphere of the place is amazing. They need someone to come in and relabel the place: make it a true foody location, playing on the abundance of local wines and beer, modernize their cuisine by making interesting dishes with great local ingredients, and make the culinary experience up to par with the unique historic setting it enjoys. So much potential to be great. I would only go back for a drink, if at all. Just not up to par with other creative restaurants in the area, and the prices don't justify the quality of the cuisine. What a disappointment because I was expecting and hoping for the best!

Paso Robles Wine Region, California
“An alternate...”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The place certainly lives up to its' name...it is "old"!!! The food was good, though slightly "pricey" for what you get. The service was also satisfactory and I would recommend it as an alternative eating spot. It was Okay!

Visited July 2013
Windsor
“so beautiful”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

It was a perfect evening setting with seals under our table and the sun going down over the hill
the food was very good - service a tad slow esp with two under three with us but a most delightful evening and meal

• Visited July 2013