“Beautiful Views/Food was only pretty good and pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Olde Port Inn

Olde Port Inn
Ranked #6 of 24 Restaurants in Avila Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Atascadero, California
“Beautiful Views/Food was only pretty good and pricey”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We've eaten here a few times over the last 15 years+ and remembered it to be more casual downstairs where you could get drinks, appetizers or fish tacos reasonably priced. Well, not so anymore. We came on a Sunday for lunch. The menu was pretty limited. The only fish tacos were on the appetizer menu (ONE for 10 bucks? Come on!). Average price was over $20 for most items. We got a sand dab sandwich with fries for $17.00; it was one of the specials. The sandwich was just a step up from a Filet 'o fish from McD's and about as meager. Toasted white bread, no lettuce for the sandwich, no cole slaw, in fact no greenery on the plate. Just a small pile of fries that looked like remnants from the bottom of the bag. Service was at least friendly and fairly attentive. It could be so much better because they have a premium location, but they are missing the boat by charging high prices for stingy, mediocre food.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank SunSnorkelTan

• Korean first
Rio Vista, CA
“A Gem on the Water”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

What a nice surprise. Our first trip to the Avila Beach area and will certainly be return guests in the future. When I saw an advertisement at our hotel (tucked away in the room book at Embassy Suites in SLO) I wasn't sure but figured we give it a try. Upon arriving at the pier it did not look like anything was out there but we slowly drove out on the pier and parked. We walked through the old wood covered pier and there it was... A nice little restaurant at the end. We walked right in without reservations and were greeted immediately by David, we did not have reservations on a Sunday evening and wanted a view (there were many, almost anywhere you sit) and he took us out to the very end of the restaurant, closest to the window in the covered patio area. It was like being at the pier's edge. A view all around. Francisco, our server immediately took care of us, there was plenty of options for great food and we were pleased with our clam chowder, house salad, and fresh sand dabs. I will certainly go back and recommend it to all.

• Visited June 2013
Palo Alto, CA
“Go to the end of the pier.”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

When visiting Avila Beach, be sure to drop by Hartford pier. It's at the end of the beach, so it's easy to miss. The Olde Port Inn has perhaps the best seafood on the Central Coast. We had Clam Chowder and Fish and Chips. Outstanding! Be sure to get a table on the west side with the view "down" to the water. You'll know what I mean when you get your table. Lots of history and outstanding service. Well worth going off the freeway for a real treat.

Visited July 2013
Bakersfield, California
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were excited to walk in and be seated at a great table that has a view of the ocean beneath us but unfortunately that's the only good thing to report. Our server was rude and not very helpful. We will never return and make sure our friends and family do the same. We were not asked for our drink order we had to ask her. Then a couple next to us was offered bread to start off with while we were not offered. I had to wait for a refill of my water which came more than half way through my meal. Very disappointed!!!

• Visited July 2013
Cupertino, CA
“Really fresh food with a wonderful view”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is the third time my wife and I have been to the Olde Port Inn. We've always had a good time there, thanks to their fresh seafood served by a friendly and efficient staff. The views are great, and whether you walk or drive out to the end of the pier you'll enjoy the sea air and the ambience of the fishermen. I definitely recommend it, although our experience was marred by some extremely loud and obnoxious people who had just come from some wine and cheese fair and were practically yelling at each other in conversation, which really isn't necessary in a small restaurant. I hope they were a couple of sheets to the wind, because if they weren't I'd go deaf living in their household.

My wife had the cod which was lightly breaded and served with a white sauce, and I had the coconut encrusted Mahi served with a mild curry sauce. We both had the au gratin potatoes, and the root veg were nicely prepared and served piping hot. Portions were adequate... not enough to warrant a doggie bag, but enough to leave room for dessert. Speaking of dessert, we tried the cheesecake and wished we hadn't given that it was sickly sweet and obviously not made in-house... tasted fresh out of the freezer, in fact.

Gotta love the hot sourdough rolls and cold beer served on tap. Given that the owner also owns a winery down the road, you would have thought they would have been pushing wine a bit, or at least offering a house wine special, but that is apparently not to be. I think they are missing something by not offering their wines at a special price... there is really no reason why a restaurant that also runs a winery shouldnt make it next to impossible not to try their wine, even as a marketing exercise to introduce people to their winery!

We enjoyed our visit, but I'm unsure about how good a value it is. In fact, I think they are pushing the limit of what can be considered affordable with entrees that are hovering around $30, and cocktails that clock in at 10 bucks. Overall, I think that you are paying a lot for the view, and although it is wonderful, I think they should consider offering some lower priced entrees so as not to price themselves out of the market. After all, this is NOT a luxurious, high end gastronomic experience, and Avila Beach is not Malibu. This a seafood restaurant in a shack at the end of a pier in a working port. The food is good, but if I were a local, I think the prices would make so I only went there on special occasions.

As for Avila beach, this is a weird place. You'd think it would be a hopping beach side community, with a nice beach and plenty of shops, restaurants, and hotels, but it pretty much rolls up the sidewalks at sundown. None of the restaurants seem to draw anyone to the shore, and they are very strictly and vocally anti-dog, which is really weird given that SLO is so dog friendly. That alone is to make me want to spend time elsewhere... not a single hotel in AB is pet friendly, which is a pity.

The key to any restaurant review is would I go back. I would, but I'm hoping the manager decides on some lower price fare so as not to price themselves out of the market. Even a fish sandwich at $12 or some fish and chips at $14 or so would be a welcome alternative to the $26 to $34 entrees, which to me seem pricey even if they are quite tasty.

Only other comment I would make is that when we left the restaurant after spending nearly $100, most of the staff was standing near the bar watching TV. Not one of them broke their gaze to acknowledge us or to thank us for coming in, which unfortunately missed an opportunity to end the evening on a high note.... oh well.

• Visited June 2013