“Sunset view and good food”
Review of Ocean Grill

Ocean Grill
Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Avila Beach
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Ocean Grill is ocean front dining just steps away from the sand in beautiful Avila Beach! Stop in today and try some of the most delicious and creatively prepared cuisine in San Luis Obispo county!
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I had the crispy Brussels spouts, which are to die for. My friend had the shark which I tasted and it melted in your mouth. I also ordered a basic pizza and it was good. My friends had the tuna wontons which were more like mini tacos, also good. Enjoyed my visit and will be back.

1  Thank Judy B

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I would love to give a proper review of the food, service, and ambiance, but we went by during the two and one half hour period the restaurant is dormant.
Yes, in a popular, busy, well-to-do tourist area, the management of Ocean Grill closes it's doors in the middle of the day, in usually-sunny Avila Beach, and they have a killer view of San Luis Bay - or would if they were open. All, every one, of the other beachfront restaurants manage to run all day, and stay busy all day.
We have never understood the rationale behind this mid-day closure at other restaurants: are they in business to make money or not? Is it that difficult to keep a salamander and a cooktop hot? Would not the expenses be covered by the guests? Do they think they are a high-end trattoria in Palm Springs or Beverly Hills? Being retired, we enjoy late lunches, and will never make their 11:30am cutoff when they 86 the lunch. Dinner, maybe, but we cook and eat dinner in most often, so we probably will never get to write that review.

3  Thank jonhartz
Eric K, General Manager at Ocean Grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Hello! I wanted to reach out to you and let you know that your voice was heard loud and clear. Since your last attempt to visit our establishment we are now open between lunch and dinner for happy hour (3-5). If you are unable to attend our lunch that starts at 11:30am and runs until 3:00pm, or our dinner that runs from 5:00-8:30 on weekdays and 5:00-9:30 on weekends, our happy hour is a great alternative. Although this menu is more limited than our full lunch or dinner menu it still gives a great alternative for those looking for a bite to eat at a great price! Unfortunately with having such a small facility here on the beach it is next to impossible to keep the kitchen open and functioning while prepping for dinner service. This was the reasoning for shutting down between the two services. Keeping the wood fired oven operable while prepping in the kitchen allows us a happy median. We hope that you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves in the near future! :)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had the rock fish and my husband had albacore. Both were excellent.
We shared a roasted beet salad which was very tasty. Our waiter was very friendly and accommodating even when my husband wanted the tuna well done. The portions seemed small on the large plates but were more than enough.

1  Thank Pat T
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Right on the ocean, my wife and I had terrific dinners with outstanding service. My wife had the salmon and Inhad the swordfish. Both were really good. Well cooked. We asked for double vegetables rather than the starch accompaniment, no problem. And, the veggies too were good. Nice atmosphere inside. Big bar. Really friendly staff. The best we found in Avila.

1  Thank jaxhog
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We had an excellent view of the ocean from our table. The seafood chowder was amazing. The rest was not. My husband ordered his steak medium and it came out very rare. The waiter said they would re-fire it and it was a bad experience from then on. I ordered the scallops and 3 were on the plate which is customary, but the side dishes that came along lacked flavor and creativity. I think the mashed potatoes were leftover from the night before. There was a strange squash and parsnip vegetable side that tasted bitter. The manager was condescending and self absorbed when we mentioned the issues. I don't think that this place is all bad, but needs some fine tuning. Restaurants make mistakes, but there were many on this night. I preferred the food and service at the Custom House.

1  Thank Sara R

Hello! I wanted to personally reach out to you regarding your less than enjoyable experience while dining with us. Your opinion was heard loud and clear and since your last visit we have brought in a new chef and a completely new menu that is sure to please! We definitely had some ups and downs to our first few opening months of service but can confidently say that we are back on track and better than ever! We hope that you will give us another chance and look forward to seeing you again! :)