“We loved this place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
Palm Desert, California
“We loved this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

My fiancee' and I stayed at this hotel last year, and as we're planning to back soon, I was stunned at a few reviews that indicated they were disappointed. We LOVED this place, and we're picky! The general manager was warm and welcoming and upgraded us to a spa room as it was available. Our room was clean, charming, and wonderfully quiet. The rooftop outdoor living room is absolutely the best, and we loved having cracked crab and cold beer while watching the sun set. The rates were very affordable and I would absolutely go back.

Room Tip: Go for the spa room or better - the ones with the views are hard to get but worth a little extra mon...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Caldwell, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel on a Sunday night in January 2012. We made a reservation and paid $143.10 for a Family Deluxe Suite. (ie: the same as my sister-in-law and her family 312) We however were very disappointed with the room we were initially given (204), which did NOT have a full kitchen in it (as my sister-in-law had). We were also on the 2nd floor and she was on the 3rd floor. When I brought this to staff on hand (Lori), she tried to tell me that we could use my sister-in-law's kitchen to cook. Really?? That is not what I paid for. I either wanted a discount on the room we DID get or I wanted to be moved to a room with a full kitchen, L/R w/ 2 sofa sleepers and a private bdrm...which is what we paid for and what we reserved on the hotel's website. Lori switched us to a 3rd floor room (304) which again was disappointing. We got the kitchen w/ stove, oven, microwave and a SMALL refrigerator (my sister-in-law's was bigger)....however, NO living room, instead 2 double beds and the private bdrm.

It seems that there may be different versions of the Family Deluxe Suite, which if true, is NOT listed on the website. I believe the website has some misleading information regarding the rooms and what the prices are for the types of rooms available.

Also, our room (kitchen in particular), appeared a bit rundown. The towel rod in our bathroom pulled straight out of the wall with a simple towel hung on it after a shower. The up-side: the Sundeck was nice and the staff were nice. The free movies were a plus.

I hope you find this helpful....thank you!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Becky S
Plainwell, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the warm atmosphere that we four encountered at the Avila Beach Inn...bright, colorful and comfortable (literally). My husband and I spent the night in an oceanfront room with a living room, separate bedroom, and nicely-sized porch. A family recreation area exists on the first level, with a fireplace, plenty of seating, wine glasses, games and movies, to use downstairs or in our rooms. Our in-laws stayed in a family suite...huge, and full of pull-out beds for the kids. Both rooms had flat-screened TVs and DVRs. The decor is "Old Mexico," full of stucco, mosaic, and artwork. I love this place and want to return some day, for a romantic anniversary. Perfect!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

My sisters have stayed here several times and loved it, so this was finally OUR time to have the experience. We booked The Owner's Suite, called "the most romantic room on the central coast" by the owner. We were greeted by a dozen red roses on the table! The room overlooked the ocean and had a large fireplace so that you could enjoy both the flame of the fire and the ocean view simultaneously. The room had a large hot tub that we did not use. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony and listening to the waves. The entire top floor is a lounging area with BBQs, hammocks, couches, and ice (so you dont have to run downstairs to get some). Every employee was friendly and made our stay a positive one. The lobby has
coffee, tea, popcorn, and all kinds of utensils you can borrow during your stay. Every room in this hotel is different, so it really depends on which room you get. I suggest getting a room facing the ocean for a stay you will long treasure. Also, you can just walk to dinner or wine tasting.
coff

Room Tip: The ocean facing rooms are darling. We were able to keep our sliding glass door open all night so we...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

We enjoyed this quaint hotel. Old but comfortable. Area quiet this time of year. Manager very helpful. Loved Joe's Mamma coffee shop next door.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Took a 2 night vacation, location of hotel is good and that is about the end of the positive things I can say. Rooms are in disrepair, unclean, and the hotel is noisy! Called the manager in the middle of the night because the people were talking and playing music so loud we couldn't sleep. No phones in room so if you have a noise complaint you are counting in the manager to knock on the door and complain. After a phone call and 30 minutes lapsing and still music and loud voices we called the manager again. We got $200 gift certificate for our stay from family last Christmas, and I still feel like it was a rip off! Carport spaces in the middle of hotel, if people leave late/early you are awakened! I will not stay here again, explained my disappointment to the manager at checkout no offer to make it up to us....disappointing!

• Stayed November 2011
4 Thank lmwilkinson
Troi H, Manager at Inn at Avila Beach, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
Dear lmwilkinson,I truly do apologize for the inconvenience you expereinced on the last night of your two day stay.As you stated you contacted me @1:00 A.M. about noise eminenting from below your arrangements.So as I told you I would investigate the complaint,as I stepped out of my arrangements(I reside in the same courtyard)I could not hear anything so I quietely approached the room you said was making the noise and even as I walked by that room I could not hear a peep.So I did not choose to knock on their door taking into consideration of the time and no noise was discernible.Of course when you called me a half hour later to state the noise was still happening,I went directly to the room in question knocked on the door(even though there was still no audible noise that i could hear or any other guest complained about) and asked the guest to please stop whatever noise they were making.and as you mentioned upon your checkingout the sound stopped after that.And as for any guest who may choose to start their cars and leave at different times of the day or night that is out of our control,but i will mention the early morning ones are very rare and far in between.And lastly you never mentioned the room being in disrepair or unclean on either day you were with us or upon checkingout, in your review is the first I ever heard of these issues.Actually I recall you stating you enjoyed your first day and most of the second except for the nighttime occurence. Once again I am sorry for any inconvenience but I feel I did the best I could in handling that situation.Best Regards,Edward Herrera
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed in room 209 - it came with its own diaries from past visitors which showed a continuous thread of warmth and affection felt for this hotel. The room was, errr, strangely decorated, but somehow it all worked. Fantastic views on the balcony. Staff were friendly, even to an 'outsider' only staying one night.

Local town was quiet (it was November) but had a good meal at the Custom House. Coffee and Croisants the following morning at Momma Browns was exceptional (no breakfast at hotel)

Room Tip: Room 209 - great views!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Spyglass Inn
Spyglass Inn
#13 of 27 in Pismo Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 710 reviews

Been to Inn at Avila Beach? Share your experiences!