“Worst Experience We've Had!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avila Beach
Avila Hot Springs Resort
merced, CA
“Worst Experience We've Had!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

We rented a cabin for a weekend of fun in the sun. As a couple, we had previously stayed at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort, just down the road from Avila Beach Resort. We had seen the resort, and thought it might be a good place to take children.

The cabin was dirty ( floors not mopped, hideabed was filthy and stained. couch was broken down. We were told at the time of reservation that there would be a coffee pot and a microwave in the cabin. Neither of these items were in. when I asked about it, I was given a key to another cabin and told I could go get a coffee pot. the then brought a microwave. There were too few linens in the cabin. One set of towels and the bunk beds were not completely made up. when we asked about this, we were again given the key to the same cabin, and asked to get our own supplies as housekeeping was no longer there. There was also not enough panels on the sliding glass door for privacy. We had to hang a blanket.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank 1grandmama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Powell Butte, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

My family arrived at the Avila Hot Springs resort on July 23, 2009. We were looking forward to our stay near Avila Beach which included a pool with waterslides. After checking in, we drove to our campsite. Our campsite was one of several along the top terrace of the camping area. The sites were separated by two by fours and were situated on very hard ground. Across the dirst road from our campsite was an overflowing trash can, and a delapitated Santa Maria Style Barbeque with flat tires behind overgrown weeds. The barbeque had garbage in it as well. (see attached picture). I imagine this is the same barbeque they advertise for rental on their website.

Trying to maintain good spirits, we set up camp. We grew more appaled with the grounds as the evening went on. The water faucet access for campers had food debris, plastic forks and other garbage all over the ground. The entire camp ground had garbage throughout. I noticed a pair of underwear in a planter.

The mens restroom had a broken toilet seat in the trash can and in order to flush the toilet my husband had to reach in to the tank and pull the chain.

All in all, Avila Hot Springs seemed to be untidy and unkempt. It appeared that there was absolutely no pride in ownership. The paper towel and toilet paper dispensers did not work (the paper products were simply set on top of the appliances), the wooden chairs at poolside at near the office were all pealing and weathered, and as mentioned previously, there was trash everywhere.

We stayed the first night and decided we had more than enough of Avila Hot Springs. Upon checking out I indicated that we would be leaving early and were requesting a refund for the remainder of our reservation. When asked why, I indicated that the place was filthy. The response I received was "Dear, you're camping". Her response was more than enfuriating. I completed a refund request which detailed why we were unsatisfied. The woman at the desk indicated that the toilet seat had just broken and was repaired this morning. However as I look at two of the previous reviews one being from June 2009, it appears that the same types of problems exsisted over a month ago. I still have not heard back from the manager. I will be disputing this charge with my credit card company.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank oregonprincipal_9

Travelers are raving about these Avila Beach hotels

Paso Robles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed for two nights at Avila Hot Springs in a tent camp site. The sites were on top of each other, seperated by a 2x4 piece of lumber. My huge complaint was lack of toilets. For the whole camp there are two toilets for men, two toilets for women. IN THE MENS ROOM, ONE OF THE TOILETS SEATS WAS BROKE IN HALF! FOR 3 DAYS!!! The stalls were full of graffitti, and tp was strew everywhere. The floresent lights were trying to burn out and created a strobe effect. Thats fun at 11pm with a buzz on.
Now the pool/ hot spring. When we walked in Friday afternoon, I counted 4 pair of random underwear on the walk to the tables and lounge area. And not the cool underwear. There was also a pieces of trash blowing around to. Although it is marked as no lifeguard on duty, swim at own risk, there was a teenage boy IN JEANS and a lifeguard jacket roaming around. What he was there for, I don't know, since he was letting 6yr olds jump off of the lifeguard chair.
Saturday at the pool was the same but different. Same underwear lieing about, but more lifeguards who seemed to be more attentive. That evening, finally the underwear was cleaned up, and a movie was shown poolside. That was nice. But when I was cleaning up our stuff at the end of the night, cockroaches were moving in.
My family won't be returning to this place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank g-man-joe
lafayette, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

Our stay at Avila Beach Hot Springs was very disappointing. We and three other families planned on a.t.v.ing at Pismo Beach (which was amazing) and decided to camp nearby. The list of disappointments at this place is extensive. It is situated below a highway so all night we heard traffic which echoed throughout the campsite. Though we were told there was grass to pitch the tents on the ground was just that. Hard dirt ground. It was so hard we had difficulty hammering in the tent stakes. There were no trash cans to put our trash into and we needed to buy trash bags and take it down to the lobby area regularly. The bathrooms were so tiny that while washing up you had to move whenever someone needed to use the toilet and there was only one small shower with a curtain in the same room which was for all the camper and only two sinks and two toilets so you can imagine in the morning when everyone was waking up the line that formed to use the facilities. Both days upon awaking there was no toilet paper in the stalls and when we notified the desk they said that the staff did not get around to filling them from the night before. Even though there was a restaurant as a part of it they did not sell coffee until 10 a.m., hours after most campers awoke, especially with the traffic noise.We were also told the beach was a mile walking distance from the campsite which was not the case. In addition, there is the smell of sulphur from the mineral bath which we could smell at our campsite. I would definately not stay there ever again.

Stayed August 2008
#3 of 5 in Avila Beach
Spyglass Inn
Spyglass Inn
#11 of 27 in Pismo Beach

Been to Avila Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!