“Nastiest Hotel Ever”

Seaport Village Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Avalon B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 20, 2006

The Seaport Village is quite possibly the worst “hotel” I’ve ever visited. I’m not sure that I can even call it a hotel, as our room was more of a studio apartment that someone decided to rent out for the night instead of the month. It even appeared as if they kept the furniture from the last 25 years. This Inn is grossly misrepresented in its photos and its website. The nicest thing I can say about the room is that the remote control worked. The free champagne upon arrival is two small bottles of drugstore champagne with two cheap plastic glasses. The furniture was stained and worn down from years of use. The couch caved in in the middle, thankfully we noticed before plunging into it. One of the kitchen table chairs collapsed when my boyfriend sat on it. The tables/cabinets were badly in need of changing or at the very least refinishing. I was afraid to lay down any of my belongings for fear they might “pick up” whatever grunge inhabited this room. The carpets were dirty as were the walls. The shower was grungy after what must have been years of mildew buildup. The first thing we did was remove the stained comforter from the bed. We had to go down to the lobby to request more towels and blankets and soap as the room was devoid of these basic amenities. No blow dryer or clock in the room, this is the first hotel I’ve ever stayed in that didn’t have these things. My boyfriend requested a wine opener and they were going to make him come down to the lobby and get it. The maid did not show up when requested so we had piles of wet towels on the floor. Yes we had a kitchen but were too afraid to use the utensils. Besides, we didn’t come to Catalina to cook; we came to enjoy the restaurants. I can cook at home. My boyfriend and I were trying to get away for a relaxing 3-day weekend only to be awaken at 8 in the morning by continuous banging from the next room in which they were doing some sort of much needed work. The banging continued throughout the day. We did not have the free breakfast because we couldn’t imagine what the food would be like in a place this bad. Walking at night down a dark alley was not very fun because it was uphill and the terrain was not lit. This hotel was just as expensive as the 5 star hotels that were actually in town. Yes we had a view but it was too cold to spend all of our time on the balcony and I would have rather had beautiful accommodations and gone into town for the scenery. Don’t believe the “sunning lawn” as it was a little patch of overgrown grass with some old patio furniture. I was almost embarrassed by what I would have said if the hotel staff asked me what I thought of the stay but was not surprised one bit when none of them did. They must know better and they probably don’t want to hear it. I guess we should have known when the shuttle pulled up was from the 70s, was dirty, had broken, stained seats and was driven by a teenager.

• Stayed: February 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

San Diego, CA
Reviewed November 26, 2005

This was probably the worst hotel I ever stayed at. Not only was the room old, worn and outdated, but it SMELLED too. I couldn't decide whether or not the carpeting was rotting or if the bathroom had major mold problems, but I've been home two days now and my sinuses are still giving me problems and the clothing I brought with me absorbed the odor as well and had to be washed as soon as I got home. YUCK!!!

Nearly all of the furniture in my Studio Suite had upholstery stains and there wasn't an alarm clock or hair dryer in the room. And while the surfaces of the furniture appeared to be clean, it was apparent that this room hadn't had a major deep cleaning in years. There was a general grunginess on everything in the room.

I arrived the day before Thanksgiving for some rest and relaxation. I can't tell you how surprised I was to wake up (at 7:30am NO LESS) to the sounds of power saws and hammering on Thanksgiving morning! Apparently, the hotel is undergoing some renovation work (much needed, I might add) which required the carpenters to work on the holiday!

Having never been to Catalina before I was majorly disappointed in the Seaport Village Inn. The ammentities, such as they are, were misrepresented on the website. Fortunately, while visiting the island, I discovered several other hotels that I plan on staying at the next time I return to the island. Not only were these hotels closer to the harbor, they were also cleaner, cheaper and, most importantly, THE ROOMS DIDN'T SMELL!!!

• Stayed: November 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 17, 2005

We were all very disappointed with the hotel. The outside looked nice, but once inside - not good at all. We stayed in the Kitchen Suite - at least we had dishes, utensils and glasses. The other people staying in kitchen suites weren't so lucky!
The carpet is worn out. The couches are worn out, the molding is worn out. The bathroom shower enclosure was made of dark brown 2x2 inch tiles. All cabinet work was worn out and most likely original from the 70's - dark brown.
The bed wasn't very nice... had I paid in the $100 range I might have been fine, but for the amount I paid I expected something much nicer.
No hair dryer, iron or alarm clock in the rooms - the front desk had them, but not enough for everyone. The iron was secured to the ironing board, which made ironing extremely difficult.
The breakfast was not good at all.
I did visit one room that had an amazing view of the ocean - that one room might have been worth it, but all of the other rooms I saw were as disappointing as mine.
One good note was Raul - he was great and very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank Tamalpais4
Reviewed September 12, 2005

Pictures of the hotel at their website make this place look like a gleaming, Mediterranean paradise, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Where to begin...the bed, oh Lord, that bed! We figured it must have been nice in 1972, but it was as hard as they come. The lumpy pillows should've been replaced in 1987. We had one sheet with a beat-up, ratty bedspread from the disco era. The lampshades on the nightstands had cigarette burns on them (even though this was a non-smoking room.)There was NO furniture in our room, other then the hospital-room mounted TV & nightstands. No dresser or wardrobe to put things on top of. The sliding doors of the closet were off their tracks. Oh, & it gets better! Let's talk about the bathroom, with it's MOLDY shower curtain (!) Absolutely devoid of common, modern amenities. I was shocked to find that for about $160 a night, we didn't even get a hair dryer! Our room looked out over a construction pit. Oh yeah, and the air conditioning doesn't do $&%#*. It was very depressing. The only redeeming factors were the friendly, enthusiastic employees & the free breakfast. Otherwise, don't stay here unless you plan to spend little time in your room.

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank anglepoise
Reviewed September 8, 2005

There were a few good things about this hotel, but not many. We stayed in one of the Maiden Guestrooms with a double jacuzzi tub. The rooms look very worn and old. The beds are very unsteady and uncomfortable. The bathrooms were nearly bare...........barely two towels with no washcloths. The only benefit in the room was the fridge. The Inn is at the top of a small hill which is not very convenient to walk up and down very often. On the upside, the staff was all very polite and helpful. The breakfast was very good. I could tell that the staff works hard to take care of the premise, but it is older and we did not get even half of what we paid for. I will probably not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank JHawkes52
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 25, 2005

We have stayed a lot of places but none any finer than this! We felt pampered from the moment we arrived until the afternoon we had to leave. They provided transportation from and to the dock and then availed us the use of a golf cart to tour on our own. The staff was pleasent and very helpful when asked for tour and restaurant suggestions. They were very well informed. Our room was spacious, clean and well equiped with a view of the harbor that would be hard to beat. This is a non-smoking hotel and grounds and they police their policy to ensure everyone would enjoy the clean, fresh air. We would, as already have, recommended the Hotel to our frinds and family, We hope to visit ther again. We consider this a five star resort for the area.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 8, 2005

My mom and I booked a night here because the "Boat Package" seemed like a pretty good deal compared to the cost of the other places on the internet. We were a little worried when the shuttle that showed up at the dock was really run down looking. We thought we were really in for it. When we arrived at the property it was a pretty good location except for being at the top of a hill. We were a little bothered that we couldn't check in until 2pm, but they held on to our luggage while we went to lunch. When we returned from the hard climb up the hill to check in, we asked if we could upgrade our room to one with a view because my mom isn't able to go up and down that hill. We figured at least we could see Catalina from a window. They gave us a key to our room we had reserved and a key to check out the room with a view, and they told us to let them know what we wanted. We looked at the "Twin Olive Room" and it was very small and dull with a view of the walk-way (a wall basically). We checked out the other one and it was like a large studio apartment. The view was incredible (fouth floor room). The room was old but very clean. It had a full kitchen (not that we needed that for one night) and sitting and eating areas. We took the upgrade without hesitation because of the view. The bed was advertized as being "firm" on their website, but that was a bit of an understatement. The breakfast was fabulous. The staff were friendly and very sweet. I would stay there again with my husband and kids, but not anyone that can't walk really well. There is no way to rent a car or anything on that island (at least not that we could find). All you can get is a golf cart for a maximum of 2 hours.

• Stayed: August 2005