“Perfect for my needs” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 6 Avalon B&B and Inns
san diego
“Perfect for my needs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

I went to Catalina on a personal retreat to get away from the hustle and bustle of the mainland. I knew I wanted a place off the main drag and up the hill a bit - which Seaport Village Inn is. While the original room I was offered didn't suit me (main level right next to the hot tub with only a sliding glass door - so if curtain was open, anyone walking by could see in) - the next room was fine. It had the same layout (including the sliding door) but was one floor up with a partial view of the ocean and lovely view of the town and hillside beyond. I slept like a rock every night. The bed was firm and comfortable for me. The breakfast was okay, nothing great, but it worked for me. Never saw any creamer for the coffee - would have appreciated that. Room was clean, for the most part, but very basic. Found it strange there was no clock radio and was glad I had my laptop along to provide music. Room was advertised as having a "tub" - but there's no tub - there is a fully tiled shower with a wall as high as a tub would be, but the walls were all squared off, so it would really only work for bathing children, not soaking. I found the staff to be very hospitable, if small. Lastly, I can say the location was great. It was off the main drag. The hill was minimal, I expected it to be worse, actually. Town was just down the street. Staying up a little bit provided beautiful views. I went mid-week and off-season so got a very decent rate that included the boat ride and worked for my budget. Rate was even less than was advertised on their website. I booked directly with Raul at the hotel.

Stayed January 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
long beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2009

I had a wonderful stay at the Seaport Village Inn. The staff was friendly and my accomodations were to my satisfaction.

• Liked — Comfortable
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

I took my husband here for his birthday after searching for the "perfect" hotel and helicopter ride I thought I had found it. WOW was I mistaken! The pictures were less then truthful and for the amount of money I spent this should have been an extremely nice hotel (the heleicopter flight was great both there and back at least). After spending a sleepless night the first night with a air-conditioning unit that made so much noise it's suprising the neighbors didn't complain...maybe they were dealing with the same problem though. Oh yeah, The "bottle of champagne" that was waiting for us upon our arrival was about 6" tall and we had to use the plastic bathroom cups (I believe you can p/u a bottle of Korbel for 10 bucks). The bed was so absolutely terrible that we might as well as slept on the floor. We asked for a new room the next morning and they were quick to show us 2 other rooms ( the first room was the same exact room that we already had, the 2nd was the "upgraded Jacuzzi" room. This room did have a little nicer view (better then the building we looked at on the last one). BUt between the door locks being broken, screens torn &/or missing, the ceiling rotting above the jacuzzi, no useful silverware, a running toilet....need I really continue?
THEY MUST REMODEL AND CLEAN THIS PLACE UP!!!!! It's in a great location but that's about the best thing I can say.
VERY DISAPPOINTED

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — beds, noisy air-conditioning units, needs remodeled badly
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaliforniaLuv2

Travelers are raving about these Avalon hotels

Visalia, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

Plain and simple, this is an old, run down hotel. My room #206 was shabby at best. A crappy, noisy a/c unit and uncomfortable bed mad for sleepless nights, Good advice to travelers would be to stay at one of the hotels on Crescent. Really good advice to travelers would be to Avoid Catalina all together. "Islandbilly" locals, no ammenities, humid weather and the weirdness of this "micro village" by the sea makes Catalina my #1 place that I do not wish to visit again. Think of it as Deliverance meets Margaritaville.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank jerryd247
Gilman, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

I requested the magazine of Catalina Island from the Catalina Chamber and looked into the hotels that offered packages that included the boat over from Newport Beach. I chose the Seaport Village Inn based on price and location.

The hotel's mini bus picked us up at the dock and drove us the mile or so to the Inn which is at the end of a dead end street, on the hillside at the edge of the town of Avalon. We were able to check in right away.

Avalon is a quaint, older seaport village. There are no modern resorts or chain motels on the island. Many of the hotels had one-of-a-kind, named rooms.(The Olive Room or the Blue Room). So did the Seaport Village Inn. I had no idea if these "named rooms' were a value so I booked a standard room.

What we got was a bed with two pillows, a table with two chairs, (very stained and faded) an open night stand on either side of the bed (no clock) and a clean bathroom with shower only. There was a tiled enclosure to the shower that was higher than a tub to step over or vault over as my husband said. The TV was on a shelf in a corner and did work just fine. There was no dresser, but shelves in the double closet. It was several steps down from the main level, a "garden hotel room". The drapes to the sliding glass doors to the outside gave us privacy, but then there was no daylight.

Two of the four bulbs were out in the overhead fan/light. They were replaced as soon as I mentioned this to the front desk. There was no hair dryer, but I was given one at the front desk when I asked. They also brought the extra pillows I asked for. We had two little bottles of champagne waiting for us with plastic wine cups when retuned to the room the first night.

Breakfast had egg dishes both mornings we were there. One morning there was bacon. There was one type of cereal, 8 slots for toast, coffee, juice etc. There was a jar for tips, but I never saw an attendant.

The sunning lawn had two lounge chairs. The hot tub might hold four people. You can make arrangement for a segway right there. There was an outdoor shower where we saw divers rinse their gear.

I like that this Inn was off the main area and quiet. Walking up that hill after a day of swimming or sight seeing was a challenge. With a little more effort (refinish or replace the furniture and provide luggage stands) this could have been a lovely little place.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bare bones
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2008

Based on my room, you wouldn't want to pay very much for this hotel. But if you can get a good rate and you don't need much, it may work for you.

The hotel is just off the main waterfront, up a moderate hill.

I had a room in the interior of the building. Other rooms on the exterior had a nice view of the city. There was an unusual lack of furniture in my room, just two nightstands (without a clock) and a chair, nothing more. (The TV was in a closet.) The mini-blinds of the window where somewhat damaged and really did not provide full privacy with the interior hallway outside. The bathroom had nice tile and was the only part of the room which was above average. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was somewhat better than average.

There appeared to be upgrade work in progress on the property.

Based on my room, you definitely would not go to this place expecting it to be romantic. It is a place to crash out if you plan to minimize your room time, and if you can get it for a good price then it is worth a look.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank MaxConcrete
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

Price included roundtrip ferry fare, so was very reasonable, but room was awful. Sliding doors on closet did not slide, air-conditioner was ancient and sounded like a generator, bed was terrible, bathrrom furniture was old and falling apart, grounds were messy with junk in view. Seems to be run by a group of young people. Telephone system is atrocious...you have to go through 4 automated menus before you even come close to talking to someone.
They claim an award winning breakfast, but I think it may ave been an award for the worst breakfast...and this had nothing to do with the price we paid, since all rooms were entitled to partake. Only cereal was Raisin-bran, somekind of unrecognizable hot dish that looked vaguely eggy, toasters that took 5 minutes to toast an english muffin to lukewarm, some kind of orange drink mix claiming to be orange juice, and no attendant in sight.
Maybe the more expensive rooms were better, but honestly, the service and the breakfast were atrocious.

• Liked — pick up and return to ferry
  • Disliked — lousy rooms and breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)