“Quiet with a View!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 6 Avalon B&B and Inns
el segundo, ca
“Quiet with a View!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Quiet!! You bet! We LOVED the Quiet here! There is no major travel road next to the hotel so you WON'T hear the constant noise of tour buses, golf carts and trash trucks. We have stayed elsewhere on the island always searching for the quietest hotel and we found it!
Friends of ours from Maine had never been to Catalina Island so we all decided to go. The hotel's staff treated us like their family and made sure our friends room was next to ours and made sure our rooms were stocked with all the kitchen items (we cooked/prepared some of our meals) we would need for our 4 day, 3 nite stay. We stayed in the upper rooms and had awesome views of the bay. Both rooms had patios with chairs and we all spent a great deal of time sitting there and soaking up the sun while watching the boats and the people at the piers.
Looking forward to coming back hopefully in November for the Swing weekend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view! Weather in Avalon is always fantastic no matter what time of the year-
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank amazingmary
Seaport_Village_Inn, Guest Relations Manager at Seaport Village Inn, responded to this review, February 19, 2016
It's hard not to enjoy soaking in the sun. Thank you for your review. We hope you continue to use Seaport for your accommodations when visiting the island in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Indio, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

There were 4 of us and we booked our stay at Seaport Village on Catalina Island a couple months ahead of time. The hotel is old but kept up. The prices were very good. If you are looking for frills and bells this is not the place for you. If you are looking for decent accomodations, friendly staff and a very good breakfast then here is the place. Raul the manager took very good care of us. The hotel is located just above the main streets of Avalon but the walk is not bad. The whole place is non smoking so if you smoke be advised. This hotel caters to the snorklers and scuba divers for the most part and they do a very good job. This is our second stay here. We snorkled 3 days and 1 day kayaking. Had a great time. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Awesome! We always love to have you with us. Thank you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Great for the service and price.....not the newest place... but witch place on the island is??? Old school works....service and price makes up for it!!! Who spends all day in the room anyways!! Go to the hilton for that!

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
That's a great theory. Catalina is for adventure. We hope our guests don't stay in their rooms all day. We want them to get out and enjoy all that the island has to offer. Hope to see you again in the future.
Carson City, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Seaport Village Inn was an ideal place to stay while in Avalon for the Catalina Jazz Festival.
The staff treated you like family and was very accommodating. The room was clean and comfortable. We had a balcony overlooking the ocean which was perfect for relaxing. Although there was an uphill walk from town to the resort, it was short and easily doable. We are coming back here again this year and I can see us coming back year after year!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We always love to have you and hope that you keep on coming back! Our staff is exceptional and we want to make you feel like family. That's what sets us apart. Thank you for your review.
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

First off, I normally stay at places off the beaten track, so I'm used to sanitary but not pretty, if you get my meaning. Sadly, this place was neither sanitary nor safe. The guy driving the shuttle made me wait outside the car for 15 minutes before he'd load my bags and take me back... because he was busy talking to the other cab drivers. (and can I mention I was the only person for the shuttle? So he wasn't waiting for more passengers). When I arrived at the hotel, they sent me to a room that was literally through a construction zone, and had no AC, no towels, and no working lights. I complained and they moved me to a room that just had no towels and no working lights. After some nagging, I was able to get both the towel and the light situation fixed. Unfortunately, the desk manager would not stop hitting on me. He repeatedly told me he'd fix such and such if I'd go out to dinner with him. The next day, I was told check out was 10 AM, but my boat didn't leave until 6PM. So I asked the manger if the hotel was full. He said no, it was almost empty, and would stay that way; did I want another night? I said no, but I would love a late check out. He said he simply couldn't accomodate me, unless I went to lunch with him. I refused, took my bag, and left. Don't stay here. It's a dirty place, with dirty managers. Pay the extra and stay in a place where you won't be harrassed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Ashley R
Seaport_Village_Inn, Public Relations Manager at Seaport Village Inn, responded to this review, February 19, 2016
This is a very surprising review to find. We am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Our manager is a very well-liked and gracious man. I hope that there is no confusion in the title of the person you are referring to in your comments. We do apologize that you were made to feel uncomfortable as we are a family-owned business and would not stand for anything of the sort. We hope your trip to Catalina was great otherwise and that you do return in the future. Thank you for your review.

Travelers are raving about these Avalon hotels

Beverly Hills, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I don't like giving bad reviews, so I'll begin with what I did like about this place: the service was excellent. Everyone was very polite and attentive. But I want to warn future Catalina visitors against staying here, because it is SO out of the way. It is a LONG walk down a hill to get to town, and a LONG walk back up when you're exhausted, and they do not offer rides down and up the hill unless you are coming to or from the boats. The rooms were very dingy and old, and we didn't have any hot water-so the jacuzzi tub that they charge extra for was useless (and they didn't know how to fix it). Their breakfast in the morning was better than the other hotel I stayed at, but if you are expecting luxury this is NOT it. I would hate for anyone to come to Catalina expecting a 4-star hotel, because after shopping around a few hotels, this one was not that much cheaper than the others that I saw, once I got there, were much nicer. If you are not worried about the cleanliness and quality of your room and are just looking for a place to crash at night, I would recommend something closer to town, because this is a long, tiring hike to get to.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Melanie A
Thank you for reviewing. We do offer shuttle service to town and various places on the island as we can at no charge to our patrons. Our hotel has a unique quality in that it sits up on the hill so any noise or traffic is not a worry for those who want to sit out on the balcony and relax to the sounds of nature. We also understand that we cannot offer what an upscale corporate hotel would normally offer. We have been on Catalina for 35 years and take pride in being family-owned and kind of a quaint destination. We do hope that you give us another opportunity in the future.
Hesperia, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

When we are planning a scuba trip to Catalina, we always try to stay here. We first stayed nearly 27 years ago, on our honeymoon, when the hotel was fairly new. Although a lot has changed, we keep going back.
This is a very scuba-friendly hotel. They pick us (and our dive gear and luggage) and transport us to the hotel (which is at the top of a steep hill). When we are ready to dive, they transport us and our gear to Casino Point. This is a huge deal. Even staying at a closer hotel, we would have to haul our very heavy gear all the way to the Point to dive. Most divers send their gear on the truck, and just walk to the point. Since my husband has hip/knee issues, they are fantastic about driving us with our gear to the dive site.
There is a place to rinse your gear, and you can even store your dive bag in a room off of the office downstairs. Raul, and the other staff are very friendly and helpful. Like I said, very scuba-friendly!
While we love this place for diving, it is not a luxury hotel. The office closes early. The rooms are bit dated, but clean. It is not fancy. I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic weekend get away...but for a dive trip, you can't beat this place!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple