“We will never stay there again!”

Seaport Village Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Avalon B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at Seaport Village Inn with a few of my friends in 2008. I said hotel but it really looked like a motel. I couldn't believe I paid so much money for a motel room! We didn't have a lot of choices because it was summer time and the hotels on the island are either way too expensive or totally booked. We checked the pictures on the website and they looked decent. However, when we got there we discovered that they were just really good pictures taken at very good angles. We had a room with a king size bed (which was just two twin beds put together), another one with two queens and another one with two twins. The beds are not very comfortable. The rooms are very basic and dated. In my opinion, they are worse than dorm rooms.

I'm mostly bothered by the cleaniness of this place. Our friend's room had a backed-up toilet. The water rushed out of the toilet after they flushed. We called the staff in. They fixed the toilet and just wiped the water on the floor dry with rags. We demanded to get another room but they were completely booked. The staff also responded, "it's just water!" At the end we asked them to at least mop the floor with bleach and they did. It was still pretty disgusting. We're glad we're only staying for one night because we were pretty grossed out.

Another friend of ours went the next summer. They were disgusted also because there was vomit in the bathroom!

I gave them two stars because the continental breakfast was decent. They have a nice package deal that includes the ferry tickets and shuttles to the hotel. The front desk manager was nice. He tried to accomodate us as much as he could but there wasn't much he could do in our situation. The hotel is relatively close to Front Street but you'll have to walk up and down the hill.

If you are on a budget or the ideal of a package deal, stay there but just don't expect too much. For me, I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mrs_B_travels

Reviewed June 15, 2011

Can't understand the good comments, as this hotel is an absolute "no go". It desperately needs to be overhauled completly. Staints on the carpet, all furnite decades old, bath room a nightmare, breakfast room like in a third world country - we were happy that we had only booked two nights, which were heavly overpriced (189$ a night). Now we know, why this was one of the few places left on the island.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms in this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Felipe1906
Reviewed June 15, 2011

My friends and I were so excited to stay overnight on the island. We had the misfortune of picking probably the worst hotel there. Gross doesn't even begin to describe this place. Every piece of furniture in our room and also in the breakfast area is stained and/torn. Bedding was disgusting, stained, torn, didn't even fit the bed. Bathroom was filthy and smelled and the towels were stained. The only positive thing about our stay was that the staff was extremely friendly and happy to help.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bweige
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Please forget the positive reviews. This hotel/Inn/ROAch Motel is Garbage. The Absolute Hands Down worst thing I have ever seen! My wife almost divorced me after I booked this room. My kids almost found a new Dad. If my Parents ever heard I booked this room they would take me out of their will. Nineteen eighty three you have meet your match. 80s décor nice!! The room came with cute bunnies. DUST Bunnies! After I begged my wife to hold off on the divorce papers I went to the front counter and got a full refund. The Manager was super cool! Unless you have a time machine and want to go back way back. AVOID

• Stayed: September 2010
3  Thank Reeldanger777
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Raul, Georgie Porgie, and the rest of the Seaport Village Inn staff really know how to give a warm, Catalina welcome and stay! My three g-friends and I stayed here on a dive/snorkel package this past weekend, and it was the perfect home base for our various outdoor activities. Location is prime at the end of the main plaza area; quiet corner, but close enough to walk to beach, casino, plaza, etc. The noisiest part were our upstairs neighbors who walked with lead in their shoes. Excellent customer service, however, made up for that easily. Our last day at the hotel, we were supposed to check-out by 10 am. Raul knew we were going to dive one last time that morning over at the Underwater Park so he offered to extend our check-out to 12 noon at no charge. However, we returned from diving that day at 1 pm! (Lost track of time while enjoying the creatures of the deep). Raul kindly offered us another room just so we could take hot showers and clean up after the dive. NO CHARGE! Very courteous, funny, and overall great guy. He even shared his homemade tamales with us one night for dinner! Would definitely stay at Seaport again, whether diving or not. Basic, spacious, and clean rooms for reasonable prices, convenient location, and excellent customer attention. Highly recommended for those looking for a simple and happy place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank FloGMarJen
Reviewed June 24, 2010

After reading mixed reviews, I wanted to set the record straight about this place. If you're looking for something fancy with a lot of amenities, this is not the place for you. However, if you are looking for a nice, clean place to stay with good service, the Seaport Village Inn is it. We stayed in a standard room, which was just that- standard. Bed, table, a couple chairs, TV- all one needs for a lovely island vacation. For the price, I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and well kept the room was. My boyfriend and I stayed there three nights and slept very well all three nights. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was standard- good enough to keep us going through a 3 1/2 hour hike. I will stay here again next time I'm in Avalon and I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsikins
Reviewed June 22, 2010

So after deciding on a last minute trip to Avalon, we looked to book a hotel. After deciding we didn't want to spend $200/night we were left with few options, and the cheapest one was Seaport Village Inn. After booking a regular guest room for $89 and change, I had some time to read reviews. I admit I was a little apprehensive after reading about what sounds like a glorified motel 6, but payment was done and I figured I'd take what I got. I was very happy when they called to confirm and told us we'd be picked up by their shuttle at the pier. The driver was very friendly, as was the front desk clerk. We arrived before check in, so they offered to hold our bags and get us into the room in about 20 minutes. We went and bopped around town a while, got the lay of the land and went back. We were pleasantly surprised to have been given a complimentary upgrade to a room with a jet tub, balcony, mini fridge and microwave.
Pros:
elevator to get to the fourth floor with luggage
great staff
no room keys! the doors have keypads and you're given a code for your stay. very handy
spacious accomodations (relatively speaking, larger than i expected at least)
non-smoking
see the harbour, and easily access the main road and beach
ice cold A/C
cable tv (not that you should be watching it, go outside!)

Cons:
yes, this place is decorated straight out of 1992
there were several cracked areas of plaster in the room/bathroom
no alarm clock

Despite the 'worn' areas of the room, it was clean and felt comfortable. Everyone was super friendly. They allowed us to keep our luggage there for the day since we left on the late boat, and even offered a ride back to the pier. All in all, I really enjoyed my stay and look forward to visiting the Seaport Village Inn on my next visit to Avalon! The long and the short of it: if you want a room at the ritz... look elsewhere. If you want a clean, comfortable room, even if it's a little worn and not trendy or hip... with pleasant staff and a reasonable price tag, you really can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple