“Excellent Hotel, Excellent Experience, all negitive reviews put to rest”

Glenmore Plaza Hotel
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Rancho Cordova, California
“Excellent Hotel, Excellent Experience, all negitive reviews put to rest”
Reviewed August 20, 2010

As this was our first over night experience on the Catalina Island, we decided to check out reviews of other travelers to get a feel for the places on the island. often time, when we had done internet searches, we deduced our choice to the rated review, "The Stars", and peoples opinion on Trip Advisor. Unfortunatley there is no 6th star to give this hotel, our stay was Outstanding, and though all the fancy 5 dimamond have AAA ratings schemes to produce what they consider "a Premium stay" 3 Diamonds does not adequately describe the overall experience here.
I felt that all the negitive reviews didn't give the Glenmore Plaza Hotel the credit it deserves, and are all greatly exaggerated.
The Hotel and the rooms were Victorian in style, the beds and bedding were warm, and clean. It was convenient to have a fridge in our room, as the 5 diamond Ritz did not have one. Internet access was accessible in most places in the hotel. Our room had a dead bolt, why I don't know, but I felt more than completely safe in our room, as did my spouse. All eateries were so very convenient! Mostly less than a 3 minute walk! Hotel Staff was Excellent! Very genuine, helpful, and pleasant!
Often times when your at other 5 diamond hotels you get the feeling that the staff is putting on a face for you, here your met with the local community, that are more than happy in sharing their small beach community and we felt graciously accommodated!
Prices weren't bad to boot!

Also Jack the front desk agent was very Excellent! We Will be coming back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
so cal
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I have been going to Catalina for over 25 years and love this place! Listen folks, if you know anyhting about Catalina, you know that mostly all the hotels are older. This one has charm and THE best location. The staff was helpful, funny and friendly! I rarely write reviews but had to because of the bashing I noticed this place took from other reviews!
I have no connection with this hotel nor any of the employees but trust me, I will be here again! We had 2 rooms with 2 groups of people and we are all satisfied customers!

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank keeferhere
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I did a lot of research for my trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco, with Catalina as one of the side trips. I had been to Catalina several years ago and wanted to stay one night. I selected Glenmore Plaza even though I had read some good but MANY poor reviews. I should have listened. The hotel is old, which I am fine with. The staff is not very interested in service. The continental breakfast that was still out at 12 noon when I checked in had flies all over it and consisted of muffins. We did have to walk our luggage up 3 stories, which also was hard but I could deal with it. Unfortunately, when we went to bed there was sheer chaos outside of the hotel, screamnig, yelling, swearing BEYOND belief. (This was a Monday nite!)This went on for several hours. From 1am to 3am we had people who were staying at our hotel running the halls drunk and smashing into walls and doors and screaming/swearing. I called the front desk about 20 times (small hotel-how could they not hear this!!!???) and no one ever answered. I eventually called police (twice) but that didnt help either. I was actually afraid-had two kids-11 and 13 with me-and no one was aware of what was happening!! ?? The next day, when we checked out at 630am (after NO sleep) there was a note on the front desk (they were still CLOSED!!) saying if you have an emergency, all this #......But I would only have that number if I left my room amidst the chaos and read the note. I have never been to a hotel where no one was there for the guests!! And I am a frequent traveler!! And to top it all off, the just lock the front door at night and if there was a fire, youy would have to know about it and then run down and unlock the door!!!! If you could! Crazy! Dangerous! Despite the good location, DONT STAY HEAR! Take my advice! I wish I had listened!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Natalieandboys

Travelers are raving about these Avalon hotels

Reviewed June 5, 2010

Basic things lacking, no iron or ironing board, blow dryer in rooms...maid service forgot to replenish the 2 bath towels that were in the room. That's right, no hand towels or anything else, just 2 bath towels and when we came back from our tour, the bed was made but we had no towels. We had to call for them and wait 20-15 minutes for some new ones.

Upon checkin they told us to be careful and make sure we lock our doors when in the room for safety...un...why should we be worried about our safety in Catalina?

Bed was pretty hard...rooms are really small. Shower pressure was pretty low. Just OK...

I'm usedto Vegas hotels so maybe I'm spoiled but this is supposed to be a vacation hot spot and nothing here is cheap in price.

I think the rooms were $130 (fri and sat) and I've had better rooms and service at Best Westerns and Motel 6, Days Inn, etc....BUT this was probably one of the lowest priced hotels...do u get what u pay for?

AND I work in the hospitality industry so I know how things are supposed to be.

Might stay at the Pavillion Hotel next time...

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank Csufdrew
Ventura, California
Reviewed June 5, 2010

I decided to stay at the Glenmore after calling and checking several hotels online to inquire on price since my stay was Mon-Wed during the offpeak season. I chose the Glenmore because they said they had a FULL breakfast and the price I was told on the phone was just right! Well, when I arrived at the front desk (totally unaware they had a shuttle, so we walked it in very windy cold weather) I was told by "Jack" the price would be $30 more per night and the note about my reservation had been deleted. Also, it is not a full breakfast. Just juice, coffee and itty bitty pastries, maybe some fruit.
The room was small but it grew on us because it was quiet and had a skylight, not ideal for people who want to sleep in though. I understood fully that this is an old, family run hotel, but it has been very disappointing to be told by one staff member that this situation would be resolved (charged $100 total more than expected) then as I followed up by email, the infamous "Jack" is refusing to honor the price. This is no way to treat customers, very shady and dishonest. This type of customer treatment affects the overall impression of the Island, and I will be quick to tell everyone NEVER to stay at the Glenmore.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank honestycounts33
California
Reviewed May 14, 2010

We recently stayed at the Glenmore one night while traveling with friends for a birthday. The Glenmore was clean, the rooms/furnishings were acceptable (if not a little bright) and the staff was courteous. However, the AC didn't work when we got there. One of the staff let us know "it had been broken for a week" but there was a trick way to get it started. We went out for lunch and it was fixed when we returned. However, at that point we realized that the vertical blinds had half of the slats missing. I used a decorative linen to drape over the window so we wouldn't wake up at the crack of dawn. As mentioned in other reviews, there is no elevator.
Bottom line: it's a clean room/hotel and was perfectly fine for a night's stay at $129 a night. Our friends really enjoyed their suite and soaking tub, and they had blinds and AC. A big plus is that they did book the rooms for us for one night, which most hotels on Catalina won't do. I'd stay again under the same circumstances, but if I had to pay more or stay longer I don't think I would.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Las Vegas
Reviewed April 19, 2010

The Glenmore was a very charming experience. We had a group of 9 & from what I could see, each room is different and has it's own character. Not a cookie cutter plan in this very quaint place in the center of Avalon. Everything is walking distance(across the street). 1/3 block to the main beach / ocean.
Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast had the most delicious coffee, with an assortment of fresh muffins and fruit. MMMMMM! A very warm and welcoming lobby with places to sit and chat. Whirlpool bath was relaxing after a long day of sight-seeing. Courtesy transportation to and from the boat docks by some very clean cut, helpful & informative lads. An excellent time!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends