“Great Stay”

Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Newport Beach
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

Great Stay. The Glenmore Plaza Hotel location was great, they are right in the middle of town, so most of the tours,shops and restaurants were all very close. The room was clean,quiet and very comfortable. The staff was so personal and friendley, it was refreshing. The free shuttle service and breakfast in the morning was nice. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jason f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

Stayed in this hotel, the second oldest operating hotel in California since 1891. Our Room is clean and neat, good for the válue I paid for. The FREE continental breakfast is excellent, staff aré very nice especially Dianne. The only problem is the hassle on their construction of the 3rd and 4th floor. I will recommend this hotel for the excellent service I got.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Renato L
huntington beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Disappointed. Paid good amt...$159.00 per night, and was not pleased with what we got. Hotel is being renevated so lots of hammering. Rooms are OLD and hard to get clean. VERY small and VERY plain. No pics old carpets, screens falling off, doors won't lock or shut well.Would rather pay and stay where I am comfortable.

Room Tip: pick Portofino or St. Lauren Hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank LyndaRutherford
Toms River, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed here for one night during my California vacation in Summer 2011. I only read reviews about the hotel, and the main reason I booked the room was because it was inexpensive and came with a few perks.

Pros:
-Includes the trip to Catalina Island in the price (you can choose the port you depart from)
-Includes an excursion of sorts during your stay. I chose the glass-bottom boat ride. Kind of lame.
-Beach towels for the beach club
-Bathroom looked and was sanitary
-Close to the main strip of shops, restaurants, and bars.

Cons:
-Climate in the rooms was an issue. They have window air conditioners, so its either A/C or nothing, windows won't open.
-The room was not clean looking. Had a gross feel to it.

We didn't spend too much time in the room, cause it wasn't enjoyable. We ate at a great italian place for dinner (Ristorante Villa Portofino). There is a liquor store close by, if you don;t want to spend money out at a bar.

We also spent the majority of the day at Descanso Beach Club. it was the only beach area, and I wouldn't go back.

Spend the extra money for a nicer hotel if you're going to travel all the way to Catalina. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark H
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

This was our first year together at Catalina, my wife and I loved our stay there. I heard the hotel has been there 100 years,WOW! We were so comfortable there, it was not during the busy season and service was just great. The room we had was underneath the renovation work bieng done, I was okay but it wasnt cool with wifey. We asked and got another room. We really love the authentic architecure anything different would not be Catalina. All together it was fun, and location was just great. A little ditty about Jack and Diane, they are fantastic!!! We will return, and we recommend this hotel as long as your not stuffy and can enjoy a great hotel with character. God bless you. Thank you Diane.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tigertony247
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

I'm told that this is the second oldest operating hotel in California (after Hotel Del in San Diego). It is a family owned operation and they were very accommodating. The staff gets a big thumbs up. We had a group of 9 guys coming from all over the world. Half stayed on my boat and the others stayed at the hotel. Three of the rooms were fairly standard and the forth was the sun deck suite. The rooms are not spectacular, but they are clean and had everything we wanted. The suite was not as nice as we had hoped, but it was a good meeting place for our group (when we were not on the boat). If you want a low key, relaxing place to stay with a very helpful staff, this is the place. They are 1/2 block from the beach, which keeps them central (walking distance to everything), but a bit quieter than being right on the main road along the beach.

My favorite time to go is in December and January. We get some of our best weather during this time of year and there are no crowds. Better yet, everything is much cheaper than during the high season (when you have to book way in advance just to get a room). We were in shorts and tee-shirts all four days at the end on January (but I admit going that late in January is a hit or miss thing with the weather).

We walked up to the Wrigley Memorial and checked out the gardens and then continued our hike 1500 feet up to a point where you could see San Clemente Island and the mainland at the same time. With 40 plus miles viability, it was a spectacular view that I never tire of. We also went diving and while it is cold, we get some of the best under water viz of the year. Caught some lobster for dinner and a few calico bass and bar-b-qued on the boat. Squid were running and thousands swarmed the boat while we had the underwater lights on. During the day, we had dolphins and pilot whales just outside the harbor feasting on the squid as well.

My favorite restaurant is Antonio's, but we also had meals at Steve's steak house, and the Cantina. All of these have their own charm and you will get good meal at any of these places.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the street or one of the top floor suites with a view of the harbor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eric_Jacobs
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

Anyone who would provide a good review to this hotel just does not know how to travel!

I reserved a two-bedroom suite because my wife and I were traveling with our daughter and upon arrival were told that the "maid that was to clean the suite called in sick" so we had to take two separate rooms. They did not understand the problem with the concept of leaving a teenager in a room by herself. At 8 AM the next morning we heard loud banging from the rooms upstairs. A call to the front desk was met with the revelation that the upstairs rooms were "being renovated" and the "construction would continue 8 AM - 6 PM until April 2012." Considering the state of our rooms the hotel surely needed renovation but we should have been told that the noise in our room would not be tolerable during the day when we made the reservation a week before.

They could not even get the small things right. There was no toilet tissue , soap, or shampoo in the room although we did have triple the conditioner. The toilet in our room did not work properly (water did not shut off and ran day and night). When I kept asking for it to be fixed I was told they did not care because toilets on Catalina use salt water.

Again, seriously, anyone who would give this hotel a good rating is either a relative or friend of the owners or just does not know how to travel!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank kalirick

Travelers are raving about these Avalon hotels