WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #3 of 6 Avalon B&B and Inns
Costa Mesa, California, United States
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was hired to do a construction remodel at the Marlin Club which of course took some time!Lol! I was lucky enough to get the chance to stay at the Seacrest Inn while working there. What a wonderful experience. Having to be away from home and family is not ideal but staying at Seacrest was like home. Denise and John were beyond hospitable. Thank you D & J! I highly recommend staying here if you want to feel the experience of local hospitality. And the rooftop!!! That was my favorite place to be after a long day! The view! I now have an annual pass to Catalina. I will stay nowhere but here. Thanks you guys so much.See you soon! Denise..you rock. Big Wave.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DeniseKarstens, Manager at Seacrest Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear David,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property and to let future travelers know of your experience. John and I both enjoyed your company, and are happy that your accomodations were like home away from home.

We look forward to your return in the near future, and hopefully you will be able to bring your daughter and we can all go on a bike ride together!

Thanks again for your kind words and I will be sure to share your comments with the entire team!

Hugs,

Denise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Riverside, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

When we first arrived we weren't too happy about some things. But as we stayed and walked the island. We came to like the fact that it was close to the shops, piers and restaurants. We were surprised that the fireplace wasn't real like our wood burner at home, big deal. Then we were surprised that we had no hot water in the shower and whirlpool tub. But the manager took care of that real quick, no problem. The manager (Denise) was a real nice lady. She accommodated us real good for all the minor inconveniences. The room (Palm) was small but quiet and cozy and easy to get into (I walk with a cane). Couldn't make it up to the continental breakfast, too many steps. The TV remote didn't work too well but another minor thing. We thought the package deal was great considering we got the boat ride, room and $40.00 for food. Nice place, had a great first time visit to Catalina.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bruce N
DeniseKarstens, Manager at Seacrest Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Bruce,

I along with the new owners appreciate you taking the time to let us and future travelers know of your experience at our Inn. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had with the hot water system. Our new tanks should be in place by weeks end. Would also like to extend my apologies for the confusion on a Faux fireplace, fancy word for fake if the City fire department would allow a wood burning fireplace I'm sure all the Inns would all have them including us. It's hard to control what each guest may take from the room, all our TV's were just replaced in Dec/ Jan of this year and yes the original remote decided to go home to a new family. So the universal remote only does the TV features as we do not have DVR boxes in the rooms. That may have been the confusion if you were trying to pause or rewind live TV. But again we value your comments and will try to make it less confusing to our future guests.

As previously stated in other responses to guest reviews we no longer do continental breakfast on our roof top deck, however we do give out breakfast vouchers to two local eateries and that appears to be a hit. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.

I'm glad I was able to extend a very late check for you as we had no one coming into that room, and was very happy when I came in the next morning for your very sweet Thank you card.

I look forward to hopefully seeing you and your lovely wife again.

Warm Regards,

Denise Karstens
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked this Inn for Valentines weekend at the very last minute. Other hotels did not have any availability, so I was very happy to find a room. However, reading the reviews made me very concerned and I was very scared to see the room and bring my fiance there. I usually never write reviews, but in this case I feel that I have to.
I probably expected the worst to happen, but the Inn turned out to be very charming. We we expected at the time of our arrival and greeted by the nice lady. She gave us lots of brochures about the island and activities. Also, she gave us 20 dollars breakfast certificate per night to be used in two places: Pancake cottage and CC. Both places had very good breakfast options and very different.
The room itself was tiny ( Inn type) but very girly and cute (wickery rose): all bedding had flowers and pink embellishments. Four poster bed is also something you don't see regularly. Bathroom was clean, there were plenty of towels (also pink and nicely folded), two bathrobes, lots of good shower products. The shower could easily fit two people in it.

The whole experience was very relaxing. Next time I would stay here again and try Mermaid room.

Room Tip: Read about rooms and choose the one that suits your character: they all are different.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Loveadventures, Manager at Seacrest Inn, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Tatiana,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am so glad that you and your fiance enjoyed your stay. Like I mention in a previous post we are under new management and ownership and have been working really hard at turning this place around and it appears with your review that we have accomplished that.

The breakfast vouchers also appear to be a hit and I'm glad that you tried both places as they are very different.

I will make sure to pass along your comments to Soledad our housekeeper as she takes pride in all the rooms.

Again thank you for all your kind words and we look forward to you coming back soon and trying out another room.

The LOFT would be a perfect room for your Honeymoon!

Warm regards,

Denise
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Did anyone else notice that 95% of the good reviews all mention Roger by name, are all written in the same style, and are all written by people that wrote only one review?

This place is terrible. They don't clean very well, the rooms are falling apart, the towels have holes in them, it's noisey, and the breakfast is terrible. Before you stay here, be careful of the good reviews and heed the bad ones.

8 Thank name332
DeniseKarstens, Manager at Seacrest Inn, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear name332,

As of Nov 19, 2012 all staff members have been replaced with an all new team with years of experience in the hospitality field. The Inn will be closed for a month for its annual deep cleaning and renovations.

We appreciate your comments about our continental breakfast and we will be upgrading that as well when we reopen at the end of Dec 2012.

We truly apologize for your unpleasant stay however we do hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Please contact us direct so we may make it right for you.

Denise Karstens
Manager
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband & I stayed at the Seacrest Inn this last weekend. We had the palm room with the private entrance and it was very romantic and secluded. We had a jacuzzi-tub with shower in our room. Since our room was the farthest from the heaters and this is a 100 year old house it did take a minute for the hot water to get to the room. But, once it did it never stopped. I filled the 2 person tub and used it for a very long time. Then used the shower and i never ran out of hot water. Upon checking in I was concerned with the review regarding bed bugs. The house manager explained what was done to rectify the problem and then to top it off showed me more then one room and let me check for myself. They had only one incident and immediately called the professionals. There was only one room that had them. But as a procession they had all the rooms done. I stayed two nights and three days a romantic get away with my husband. We are both bug free and had one of the BEST weekends i had in a long time. I love the views from that rooftop deck they are breath taking. I love the old Victorian charm and the privacy that you receive. I will definitely stay here again.

2 Thank Kelley M
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I booked last minute, and this was one of the only hotels available. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised when they upgraded us to the Loft Suite because of a double booking. The room was very nice, and right next to the rooftop entrance, which had an amazing view of the island. We had an over-sized jacuzzi, and a dual head glassdoor shower, with a huge flatscreen and tv in the bathroom. And the location is impeccable, 2 blocks from the beach and city life. The only complaints were that the staff never seemed to be in. My girlfriend was using the hairdryer in the bathroom, and the circuit breaker got tripped, cutting all power to the bathroom for the rest of our stay. (I tried looking around for the circuit breaker panel after no answer from the hotel, but no luck). Another small complaint was the wifi signal was terrible, which made the internet almost unusable. But this was only a small annoyance. Overall not too bad of a hotel for a last minute booking, but it's definitely no Aurora

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I agree with another writer here that many of these ratings seem fake given how dirty, rundown, and abandoned this place was! This “Roger” owner was non-existent. I called and left a message because the front office was always closed and NEVER heard back. To start off with, the room was incredibly small, things falling apart, and felt dirty. The toilet would run all night unless you lifted the lid to fix it each time. The sink was peeling away from the wall and you had to run the shower for several minutes to get hot water. The complimentary lotions in the bathroom were used when we got there. A dead moth came out of the refrigerator, there were stains on the wall, a hole in one towel, and hairs in the comforter. Several times we would get stuck in the bathroom because the door wouldn't open and we had to pry it open for each other. It was definitely the worst part of our trip and is a disappointment to the island!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank runnergrl31
Tatiana S, Manager at Seacrest Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
First off I wanted to apologize as I am the new Manager here at the hotel and I was not notified that there was an Issue. Had this been brought to my Attention I would have moved you to a different room. If you can please call me at the hotel so I can speak with you about this I would greatly appreciate it.