“Exquisite Fare & Ambiance”
Review of Maggie's Blue Rose

Maggie's Blue Rose
Ranked #7 of 50 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Overlooking Avalon Bay and Crescent Avenue on Santa Catalina Island, Maggie's Blue Rose features authentic Mexican cuisine paired with an extensive margarita selection and wine menu.
Avalon, California
“Exquisite Fare & Ambiance”
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Maggie's Blue Rose doesn't just provide a great meal and festive decor, but rather an entire experience! From the intricate lighting (that look like public art displays), gorgeous eucalyptus bar and delicious fare, you are sure to have an enjoyable evening. Mariachis perform songs upon request on weekends. Make a reservation to get a patio seat to enjoy front street, people watching, harbor views and the historic Casino Building.

• Visited May 2014
Steve B, Owner at Maggie's Blue Rose, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your experience at Maggie's Blue Rose and shared it on TripAdvisor. I also truly appreciate your details regarding our decor especially referring to the lighting as art! And yes, being in the heart of Avalon on front street, the patio is an ideal spot to kick back, enjoy a cool drink and people watch. One thing I wanted to clarify in your review, as I don't want guests to be disappointed, is the Mariachis come to the island every weekend and stroll through town. We hired them to be at Maggie's on our 1st grand opening weekend, however, as mentioned, they stroll throughout Avalon but seem to favor playing outside of Maggie's. I mention this as I don't want guests thinking they are at the restaurant as a permanent thing, but am glad you mentioned it as we enjoy it as much as you. Again, I really appreciate your review and hope you dine with us again.

Margaret Bray, Owner, Maggie's Blue Rose

Cahersiveen, Ireland
“Raw Pork”
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Sampled the pork etc at Avalon tasting, it was excellent.
Dinner. Excellent service and very patient waiter, friends joined us and we moved to a larger table, no problem.
Good marks first, really good starter and good enchiladas with lobster.
But.......
You do not serve pork raw or nearly medium rare and it was. It's in my opinion a cardinal sin....google it if you don't believe me. Came back ( 2 dinners) over cooked and burnt. Ok they didn't charge for it, but our evening out was ruined.
In fairness reports are very good generally about the food and I hope this was a once off. But raw pork isn't on and our friends who are locals were shocked. Chef.....it's pork....cook it right.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank gearoid123
Steve B, Owner at Maggie's Blue Rose, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

As a longtime visitor to Catalina, we truly value you as a guest to our island community and are so pleased that you thought our pork sampled at the 10th Annual Taste Around of Avalon held May 29th, for which Maggie's Blue Rose placed first in “Best Taste of Food”, was excellent. However, in regard to your comments concerning "Raw Pork" if I recall your concern was that the meat was pink, therefore not cooked.

Perhaps you are not aware that in May 2011 new guidelines were released by the USDA that recommended pork be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees from the longtime standard of 160. According to the official USDA website it states under the "Food Safety Education" for pork: Can Safely Cooked Pork Be Pink? "Cooked muscle meats can be pink even when the meat has reached a safe internal temperature. If fresh pork has reached 145 °F throughout, even though it may still be pink in the center, it should be safe. The pink color can be due to the cooking method or added ingredients."  And, according to an article published in the New York Times May 24, 2011; "The new recommendation is in line with what many cookbook authors and chefs have been saying for years."

I understand that for some palettes "pink" may not be appetizing, however, the pork you sampled during the Taste Around of Avalon was cooked exactly the same as your pork dinner at the correct temperature of 145. Please know that I am truly sorry to read in your review that your evening was ruined because of this, but as you know I did everything I could to rectify the issue at the time and I hope you will accept my sincerest apology.

Margaret Bray, Owner, Maggie's Blue Rose
Laguna Niguel
“Best nachos and tacos!”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I am one of those people who you want to avoid when hungry, especially if you are my husband! I once saw a quote which said 'I am sorry for what I said when I was hungry' which is totally 100% me! So, in this instance, I was in one of those moods at around 11AM after catching the ferry from Newport. We went to Maggies hoping for some brunch, but was told there was no breakfast menu, only lunch. In my starving state where nothing was going to make me happy apart from a giant portion of scrambled eggs, toasted muffins and crispy bacon, I was not pleased.

So ahead I went and chose from the lunch menu, and boy did my mood perk up! everything is home made, including the nachos, and honestly, the food was gorgeous! Great service, fab décor, and the food came fast. I don't think I have had a better fish taco, and my husband's burrito was so tasty, not like the bland ones you get in a lot of places. My only regret is that it was far too early for me to have a cocktail, otherwise I'd have been sat at the bar with the bar staff who looked like they were having so much fun with the other patrons.

The only reason I did not give an Excellent rating is because I think it would be lovely to do a small breakfast menu, perhaps until 10AM. But this is not a complaint by any means, only a suggestion to make this the perfect place. Definitely give it a go if you are visiting!

• Visited June 2014
Steve B, Owner at Maggie's Blue Rose, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review! I cracked up regarding your comment about the "starving state", I know exactly what you mean. I am super glad that you thought our fish tacos were the best you have ever eaten and thought our food gorgeous. We are pleased to let you know that we now serve breakfast from 8-11am. You can check out our breakfast menu, along with all our other menus, at our website. Again, thank you for such a wonderful review and we hope you dine (and have a cocktail!) with us agin on your next trip to Catalina.

With warm regards from Maggie's,

“Quel suprise!”
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Sooo yummy! The sweet pickled onions on my fish tacos were a delicious surprise! Can't wait to go back-the sweet owners were there making sure everything was perfect for our girls lunch in Catalina

Steve B, Owner at Maggie's Blue Rose, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read you and your friends' lunch at Maggie's was perfect on your Catalina girls getaway! I am flattered by your comment regarding Steve and I, and really happy that our pickled onions were a delicious surprise on your fish tacos as the recipe was handed down to me from my grandmother! We are also happy that you can't wait to visit again and, as always, it is our pleasure to serve you, your friends and family.

With warm regards from Catalina,

Palm Springs, California, United States
“Delicious and authentic Mexican”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Enchiladas, margaritas, need I say more? Will be back ASAP! We were on the island for 3 days and this was a favorite!

• Visited May 2014
Steve B, Owner at Maggie's Blue Rose, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Maggie's Blue Rose on TripAdvisor. As a brand new restaurant in Avalon, we are so happy to receive a 5-star review from you and are delighted that you found our food authentic and delicious and consider Maggie's a favorite place to dine in Avalon! We thank you for your business and look forward to serving you again on your next trip to the island.

With warm regards from Catalina,