“Awesome for kids”

and up
Catalina Island Semi-Submarine Undersea Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Catalina Adventure Tours - The best Catalina Island Adventure experience! Catalina Adventure tours have been catering to tourists from around the world for over 20 years. Catalina Adventure Tours features the best Catalina Island packages including the glass bottom boat, nautilus submarine, seal rocks explorer, guided Catalina city/botanical garden tours, and guided wild life tours featuring the exotic wild Buffalo roaming Catalina Island. Our tours will make any Catalina Island vacation a memorable experience for everyone.
Chicago, Illinois
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Awesome for kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I went on the Nautilus tour and we had a pretty good time, but I kept wishing we had our nieces and nephews with us. We bought our tickets an hour before the tour (we were there in September/off-season), had plenty of room on the boat, and got to feed the fish from inside the submarine. (This is the part that would be awesome for kids: shooting "fish food torpedoes" into the ocean for the fish to swam in front of the sub windows.) Visibility was so-so. We saw a lot of kelp and 4 varieties of fish. Glad we did it, but probably wouldn't do it again just the two of us.

Visited September 2013

Santa Maria, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Ride the Nautilus”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Semi-submersible sub. Two spots where you stop to feed (costs extra) the fish. Great 40-minute trip to take the kids on. The fish are waiting for you. Our guide was fun. Actually had a sea lion come up and spook away the fish. Lots of kelp to peer through. Visibility was good, I'd say 20-30 feet. Again, fun for the kids, or anyone who has never toured a good aquarium.

Visited September 2013
valentine
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Submarine tour was GREAT!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Must do! How often can you go on a submarine? We will remember this for years.

Touring with two girls and two biys ages 8-18, it's hard to find smehting everyone could enjoy, but this was it!

Tip: Don't spend the money on the food plunger. You will still see lots of fish!

Visited July 2013
Artesia, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Grade F for very poor customer service!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

GRADE- F. This is the first review I have ever posted online, PLEASE READ. We made reservations for the SS Nautilus a week prior for Fri June 21st we were exited and looking forward to a new experience. When we arrived at the pier for our 11:45 departure we were given the tickets. However when we waited to board the submarine, we were told the submarine was being worked on (tune-up). I asked why we weren't notified and the lady said because Groupon does not provide them w the purchasers contact info. Instead we made reservations for the next submarine ride which was at 12:45, when we arrived to board at 12:40 the lady said she was full to capacity and we could not get on. I thought is this a joke?? This was the second reservation we made and we were denied both times. The other lady (initials- S.A.) said she knew there was enough room and shared my frustration. I requested to speak to a manager or supervisor but she handed me a brochure and said the manager was not on the island. I reserved the submarine Nautilus for the 3rd time for the 2:15 departure but was ONLY able to make a single reservation and we needed 2. Keep in mind, we were also misinformed the 1st time and were denied getting on the 2nd time. I was so upset and disappointed at the lack of concern and poor quality services we received from two employees at the Catalina Adventure Tours. We waited at the departure area for at least an hour. As we stood in line to board the submarine the 3rd time, one employee said we would be 1st and ride in the front and another employee said she would give us fish food as a courtesy. But that same employee (who mentioned giving us food to feed the fish) said we would have to wait at the end of the line and could only get on if there was room. I confronted her and explained how unfair that was since she had seen us waiting and waiting. She told me to step aside so the other passengers could board and I said just like we were denied our reservation she may have to deny someone else because it was OUR TURN (for the 3rd time). Anyways, she did not care and after causing a scene she let is board (only after everyone else did). With that being said, the service speaks for itself. So of the 6.5 hours we spent on the island, 5.5 hours we were at the end of the pier trying to redeem our reservations for the submarine. It was such a nightmare. Buyer Beware... If u want California Adventure tours to ruin a fun getaway then by all means purchase at your own risk!!!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Gracie M
Long Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Submarine Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was my 3rd time on a submarine adventure and we were able to see so clearly, the fish were swarming the submarine and there were like over a thousand fish. We were able to feed them as well. It was better than the one I did while visiting Maui in 2005.

Visited June 2013