“Surprisingly Good Mexican Food”
Review of Buffalo Nickel

Buffalo Nickel
Ranked #32 of 50 Restaurants in Avalon
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2014

This place, right by the heliport, looks like nothing special, but the food was really good. I had great mahi mahi fish tacos. Drinks were also excellent

There are newer reviews for Buffalo Nickel

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is the place where the locals go and is very affordably priced for the island. They situated in the Pebbly Beach area. This is the area where the utilities are located in many of the workers on the island live. Free shuttle service from the main part of Avalon is provided. It is also next to the helicopter pad. My wife had fajitas and I had barbecued ribs. My wife's figures were superb, as this place specializes in Mexican food. Her margarita was also outstanding. My ribs were good but not true barbecue. There are most likely boiled or roasted, with a decent barbecue sauce poured over them. However I still enjoy them. The atmosphere is casual and the night we were there they played 40s and 50s music on your entertainment system. The service was very friendly and attentive. Overall this was one of our most enjoyable dining experiences on the island, as it was very informal and unpretentious. Tourist tip: On Monday nights they offer a pasta bar buffet for around $15 a person-all-you-can-eat. It includes a number of various sauces. It's one of the best food values on the island.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Take the complimentary shuttle to this location. You seat yourself inside or outside. Monday is Pasta Night! For $12 a plate you choose a pasta, meat/seafood, and sauce then it's cooked right in front of you outside. I don't know if it was all you can eat because one serving is pretty filling in itself. Great food and it's fresh.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Went for daughters birthday meal and we got the Mexican food. We had asked some of the locals and they said told us the Mexican food was good. They serve hamburgers and sandwiches but I have to agree...I am glad we got the Mexican food. My daughter had the flauta's and and I had the Mexican appetizer platter. The chicken taquito's were really good along with the nacho's which were made with real cheese and not nacho fake cheese. We sat out on the patio near the big water fall which was quite relaxing. One advise...make sure you call first. There is a van which will pick you up by the Catherine hotel but if you don not call you may be waiting for awhile. Once we called there were there in a few minutes.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

As a group of four we were rudely greeted by 1 of the two workers. After sitting us we waited almost a half hour for our drinks (2 waters and 2 teas) and our orders to be taken. After taking a sip of the tea and realizing it was revolting we had to literally get up and go to the bar because no one would come to our table. When we finally got our food it was cold except one persons entree. Then we had to get our own silverware and we even went behind the counter to get ketchup. After eating because at this point we are starving we had to flag down a waiter to get our check, they tried to over charge us. They are extremely rude and incompetent. Avoid avoid avoid.