“Delivery Service to Divers, What a treat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Buffalo Nickel
Ranked #34 of 49 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Modesto, California
“Delivery Service to Divers, What a treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

While diving at casino point, we asked about where to go for lunch. We were given a telephone number of the Buffalo Nickel to call and they would deliver it to us. Wow, what a treat. Within 20 minutes we had a great hamberger and fries for a very reasonble price. Great service.

Visited January 2014

Orange, California
“Staff is clueless and items other than Mexican food sucks”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

After being a recommended place to eat as one of the only places to get Buffalo meat, I gave it a shot. When I arrived, I ordered a Buffalo Burger but was shocked to immediately notice that when served, it was in fact regular fatty beef. I asked the server if this was Buffalo, knowing it wasn't, and was told that they didn't have Buffalo. When I confronted the waiter who took my order, he said it was buffalo and kept assuring me it was. When i asked if he knew the difference between Buffalo and regular beef and the way it tastes, he was totally clueless and said "NO!". Another patron asked me as I was walking out having refused to pay for anything if what I got was Buffalo. Turns out, he ordered the same as I and also thought it was also something other than Buffalo.

So Basically, you have a staff at the Buffalo Nickel trying to pass off a more expensive and higher quality meat with crap in addition to know knowing the difference themselves. If you want Mexican food, this place is probably OK and looked good but it should, they are all Mexican!!! Want something of quality, don't go here. Even the salad was watery and the dressing watered down. I have no doubt that anything fish you order here is going to be the cheapest available and likely not what was on the menu.

This is typical of Catalina as more Hispanic influence takes over what was once a nice island getaway. Poor service!!!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Nikki N
del mar, ca
“Best Mexican Food on the Island!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a great place to go when town is super crowded (when the cruise ship is in port). Out of town a bit....past Lovers' Cove. They have great Mexican food here. I love the Carnitas Tostada Grande. I get it every time I eat here. Definitely a locals spot and much better food that Mi Casita or Coyote Joes. They make their own salsa here and it's the best.

My favorite spot for lunch on the island.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Huntington Beach, California
“Value only”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We were trying to experience the local food scene. I don't recommend this place. It's fine if you're just looking to fill your belly at a value price point. But no one at the table cared for their food. We heard pasta night was a good meal, but it wasn't IMHO.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rhpolk
California
“Free meal on your birthday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I rode my bike out, stopping at Pebbly beach for about an hour to enjoy the small surf sounds and the sun, ending up at this Mexican restaurant. Many people arrive via the free shuttle (just call for pick up). This year, they let you choose from about 20 items on their special birthday menu. I thought about the buffalo burger with fries and coleslaw, but went with the carnitas plate. The fresh salsa was excellent, the beans were tasty and the carnitas were a bit dry but very good too. I sat on the patio by the waterfall and enjoyed watching the helicopters flying in and out to ferry people to and from the mainland that Sunday night. I ordered a few cups of hot tea, and enjoyed a very pleasant meal.

Visited August 2013