“Clean room and friendly staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Terado Terrace

El Terado Terrace
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Encinitas, California
“Clean room and friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I chose El Terado Terrace because I read on Trip Advisor the hotel was "clean" which is a MUST for me. Our room was spotless. The kitchen was well equiped and the staff very friendly. We were sad that our weekend trip ended, we will definately stay at this hotel again; hopefully soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Joshua Tree
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Very nice place, had a kitchenette and everything was clean. Room and bathroom were clean and neat. Ten minute walk from town, and 20 minute walk from the catalina express docks. Went and purchased some grocery's from a Vons express and made our own lunch in our room. Our room faced the ocean, about 300 yrds away but still visible, could hear the seals barking.

Room Tip: Pick the ocean side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Torrance
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The El Terado Terrace for the money is the best hotel bar none on Catalina Island. Beyond the title of my review, I'd have to add quiet as this is paramount to a relaxing vacation get-away and that's what El Terado delivered. Thanks for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Not enough experience to give advice on which room to choose, but ours was awesome as it included a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in the El Terado Terrace and had a delightful time. The rooms were clean and management was so friendly. Loved the full kitchen. And the view was gorgeous. The walk up the hill was a surprise, but perfectly do-able. Walking down in heels was not so do-able, so we spent the $8 to take a cab down, but up was no problem. (Heels, in hindsight, probably could have stayed home, anyway!) I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a great Hotel for the casual traveller. I was here for business, but the costs of the waterfront Hotels are exorbitant. This Hotel a 3 minute walk to the water is a real gem, low prices, a nice owner Ivan and the personal touches you do not get from the larger Hotels. I would stay here for vacation or business anytime. With it being the off season on Catalina Island, it was great. Thanks Ivan. bbq on the patio or just sit back relax and watch the stars.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Just came back from Catalina Island and couldn't wait to write a review about my experience at the El Terado Terrace. First of all the service is primo and the rooms are out of this world, we felt rite at home. The manager said that they had just installed new carpets a few days before which was really nice!!! The walk to the hotel from the main street is not bad at all unless u where born in a car and cant walk. Overall, a very nice hotel and friendly service!!!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank tothemoonandback1
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I have traveled extensively to all 50 states and I think that I have a good idea of what to expect from hotels. I stay mostly in 3 to 4 star hotels. I like a bargain and don't like getting ripped off, but I will pay for a good hotel if warranted. I wanted a hotel close to the main pedestrian walkway in Avalon, but couldn't get a room at the Atwater or Pavillon. The El Terado seemed like a bargain because I didn't want to stay in the back of the valley. However the walk uphill to the El Terado was difficult, steep, and far. At the end there isn't even a sidewalk. You have to walk out into the street and hope to not get hit by a golf car or car. When I tried to check in at 5:30PM it was already dark and there was no one at the reception booth. They have a phone number to call that is taped to the window, but nobody answers the phone. Apparently the manager saw fit to leave my rooms keys in an envelope with my name on it on the countertop outside the window of the reception booth where anyone could have just picked it up. Next when I checked into my room the shower was leaking something terribly. I had to close the bathroom door to sleep because the leaking sound was so loud. Also the towel rack bar in the bathroom was broken - the towels fell onto the floor. The TV remote control didn't work. I went to the reception booth at 10AM the next morning to tell the manager because 10AM was the stated check out time. Fortunately the manager was in the booth. But I stayed a second night and when I returned to my room later in the day, nothing had been fixed. Not only that but my room was never serviced. The beds were not made and there were no clean towels. On the last morning of my stay I took an 8AM Catalina Express boat so I tried to check out at 7:30AM but again there was no one manning the reception booth.

It took a lot of time for me to write this review and obviously I wouldn't have spent so much time doing so unless I had a lot on my mind and a lot to say. I would never return to this hotel. It was not a worthwhile bargain. If you are not a physically fit senior citizen, then just forget about it with the walk up the hill.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family