My wife and i stayed at the El Terado Terrace for 3 nights, April 2011. While overall the hotel is not too bad, depending on what you are looking for, it was not exactly what we were expecting. First, the good. The rooms are clean, and the beds are soft and comfortable. There are newly upgraded full kitchens, which would be great for a family on a budget. We didn't use the kitchen, other than to have some coffee, and eat a couple of deserts we brought back to the room. The bathroom was very small. We couldn't seem to get the air conditioning to work, but there was a ceiling fan which worked out OK for us as it wasn't very hot anyways. We arrived on an early boat, and arriving at 1030 was no problem, our room was all ready for an early check in.
Now the not so good. The hotel is only two and a half blocks from the beach, but those blocks are straight uphill !!! It wan't easy just dropping back to the room, as it was quite a trek up the hill. We ended up taking a taxi one time after a dinner, and that ran us over $8.00 for a few blocks. No where on the website does it state this, and if you were elderly or disabled, there is no way you would make that trek every time. Second, the "ocean view" room we had was barely that. We could see a small part of the ocean a ways off over the roof tops of all the buildings and houses. Not much of a view. Third, after a long day getting over to the island, we decided to take an afternoon nap. While this was about 2 in the afternoon, we figured it would be quiet enough to take a nice nap. Wrong!! we were greeted with what sounded like two small children running and riding? up and down the hallway for hours. the building is all wood, and this echoed all over. We understand the need for kids to play, but this was definitely too much for a quiet nap. I tried to go to the front desk, but was greeted with a sign stating the attendant was out "walking the property". I waited, but no one came. After a while I used the red phone on the wall to call the desk clerk, and when I told him about the kids, he said he would take care of it. Apparently, the children are his or someone else who lives below the hotel. The noise did stop then, but came back several times over the three days...definitely not the peace and quiet we were looking for. So, overall the rooms are nice enough, if not old, and would be great for a family or anyone not looking for that great view or total quiet, but not for the romantic or peaceful getaway for couples.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalina Islands Best Hotel Value, no other Catalina Island hotel offers full size suites & townhomes at hotel room prices. All new spacious suites. Deluxe Hotel Suites with granite counter tops, fully equipped kitchens with full sized refrigerators and stoves. Large 37 inch flat screen TVs and classic Catalina art by a local artist. Choose a king or two double beds. Simply the best value on the island. No other Catalina Island hotel even comes close. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your El Terado Terrace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Terado Terrace Hotel Avalon
- El Terado Terrace Mini Hotel
- El Terado Terrace Catalina Island/Avalon, CA