“quaint little hotel in a good location”

Casa Mariquita Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed August 28, 2008

This is a nice little hotel. Do not expect a lot of luxury but the people at the front desk were very helpful and knowledgeable. I would stay here again. The room is was very basic and just like everything in Catalina in July and August it is overpriced but that is the nature of the business. The tourist season. Room prices drop in September and the weather is still nice so I will probably go back at that time of year to avoid the crowds and high prices.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mattandjoshsmom
There are newer reviews for Casa Mariquita Hotel

Reviewed August 26, 2008

We had the great pleasure of going to Catalina for our friend’s birthday outing a couple weeks ago. My only fear was not finding a decent place to stay because we only had two weeks in which to book. Summers are usually booked up in Avalon so we were really surprised to find any availability. One problem we ran into with most of the available hotels in Avalon was that they wanted a minimum of two nights. There were some places we considered for just one night, but it would have been Friday and we wanted Saturday to be that one night.

Casa Mariquita was one of the places with the two night minimum but we didn’t mind too much and focused on our upcoming mini-vacation honoring our friend. She was the one who actually chose Mariquita over the Glenmore Plaza and we were quite pleased. I had read some reviews about noise possibly being a problem at the places right on the main street in Avalon so I was looking forward to being off the main drag. The MacRae was the other property that had availability with so little time to book. (Note - call the chamber of commerce for island availability if you're in a jam)

The booking process was smooth; the receptionist was very friendly and helpful.

When we arrived on the island by ferry from San Pedro (not too far from our home), we had quite a few bags (my diving gear, a cooler with the birthday girl’s cake and our luggage full of clothes) so we opted to grab a taxi with friends (who were staying at the Hotel Mac Rae). If you’re up for a walk, you could definitely have a nice stroll through town from the ferry to the hotel but you don’t want to be lugging the amount of luggage we had. It would be easy with one, relatively small rolling bag and take you…oh, about 10-15 minutes without stopping (but I’m sure you’d stop along the way at any of the great shops on the main drag). The cab for the four of us (with a stop at Mac Rae) cost us $13 ($20 with tip). The hotel is about two and a half longish blocks up from the main street, close enough to get to and from in a jiffy, and far enough to avoid some of the bar/club noise.

Once we checked in to the hotel, a very nice & friendly Asian lady helped us to our room. We loaded up the hotel’s golfcart and she took our bags and my wife up to the room. Very handy because there are a few stairs (we never minded the stairs during our stay). We booked a queen room with a view at the other end of the property. The view was quite nice and the room was very decent. Compact, clean, certainly adequate and comfortable. The Ritz it’s not, but I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again. The bathroom was very nice, clean and had a very nice, rather new sink & vanity. We had a small table, two chairs, a closet with a minifridge, ironing board & iron and extra blankets. The air conditioning was awesome. Powerful when we needed it and with it on, we couldn’t hear a thing outside. Our room backed on to a back alley but we never heard any noise back there, which was a good thing because I’m a very light sleeper and appreciate my serenity. The only noise we heard all weekend really was a few couples chatting it up in the patio below us at 8am on Sunday morning. Perhaps they could have chosen a better time to discuss life’s challenges but that’s certainly not the hotel’s fault.

The patio, in fact, was very nice and we enjoyed sitting out there celebrating our friend’s birthday earlier in the evening on Saturday. There are two very nice patios to choose from; and you can see the harbor from them as well.

This was our first time actually staying overnight on the island and we are so happy we had the opportunity to do so. We forget how close the island is and that we can take a vacation like this after a quick little hour and fifteen minute boat ride. Avalon is a great, sleepy little vacation village. It reminds us both of a European coastal village; we just love it.

We spent Friday and Saturday nights celebrating with our friends. We ate at Steve’s Steakhouse on Friday and it was quite good; we’d definitely go again. We opted to eat at Antonio’s on the water instead of the Landing on Saturday night, due to group consensus. Pizza was very good; so was the pasta. And the outdoor patio right on the harbor can’t be beat.

We spent the entire day on Saturday at the Descanso Beach Club and it was AWESOME. Great group of people out on the packed beach but we still found a spot for us and the 6 chairs we rented (and we arrived at 11am). We laid out, went swimming and swore we’d come back Sunday to rent kayaks (but didn’t get a chance). Descanso is great; you can sit and watch the ocean and talk to your friends all day long and the waitstaff are there to get you anything you’d like to drink or eat (including alcoholic beverages…on the beach….just like Europe).

A few things to note: our friends went to Coyote Joe’s without us on Saturday but I had known after reading reviews to avoid that place like the plague. Our friends HATED Coyote Joe’s. We took a couple of them to Mi Casita which was great and our friends said you couldn’t even compare the two. Karaoke at El Galleon is fun and it’s a neat, friendly bar. If you have a lot of bags like we did…definitely opt for the baggage service. Thanks to Casa Mariquita, we were able to leave our bags in the lobby and head into town before our 12:35pm ferry home. For $3/bag, I can’t imagine a better deal out there.

Overall, there certainly may be nicer joints on the island, but then you’d be paying more for it, that’s for sure. We appreciated that Mariquita was available and that we could get a harbor view and that it was comfortable, quiet and clean with decent furnishings for a pretty low cost compared to other places on the island that were $350 and up (we paid $240/night for this room) and here we had to do two nights. Our friends said that our hotel was certainly nicer than the MacRae but they also liked being right on the main street so they were happy with what they got. I’d definitely stay at the Casa Mariquita again and in fact, hope that we might be able to get away again later in September because we loved Catalina so much!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dklein
Reviewed August 11, 2008

My husband and I decided to head to Catalina for the weekend on Friday night and there was one room on the island that was available for that Saturday night and it was at this hotel. It is a cute hotel and the inside is really beautiful with the plants and look out areas.
Since it was last minute, we payed a lot- and it was the most we ever paid for the least quality.
It was was not absolutely filthy (I have stayed in hostels with bugs in the sheets) but it was not clean for the price you pay. My license fell behind the sink and when my husband went to retrieve it there were crumbs and a dead cockroach. And when we were checking out we looked under the bed to see if anything got pushed under there and saw it was covered with crumbs and garbage and what my husband thought was a condom wrapper was a reciept that was dated 11 days before- which shows how often they really clean the hotel rooms.
But the service was decent- my husband had booked and thought he read that champagne was included in the room for when we got there and when we arrived it wasn't in there. We inquired about it and they gave us a simple no but then a few minutes later they arrived with a warm bottle of chardonnay with the $8.95 price tag still on it. We don't have the confirmaiton saying we were supposed to get champage or not so we gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought that was a kind gesture on their part.
All in all- we will definately not stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chachcha10
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We stayed here in July with our 2 teenagers and another couple. I changed the reservation several times, due to another family canceling and having to change rooms with or without King beds. Each and every time, staff was very curtious and made the correct changes and even with the last change I got a discount for booking three rooms. As much as AAA discount would be, but I did have to ask. Not much, but during the high season the rates get pretty high, I 'll take what I can get. We all were on the 3rd floor next to each other, and we also were able to get ajoining rooms for our family with teenagers. Thank goodness I decided to spend the extra money, as nice as the room was, its a little small for for all 4 of us with 2 doubles. The kids had that by themseves and we had a wonderful king room. Very comfy and great pillows! Didn't have a view, but wasn't looking for that, maybe just getting wiser and not paying the extra money for views I eventually see during my stay when out and about. The hotel and rooms are very clean and quaint, and the staff was very nice and always helpful.....getting us extra this and that, storing luggage in controled security closet. The only thing I wish is the breakfast offered would have been a little more variety with there pastry and muffins. The lobby is very small and maybe they just don't have the room. One thing they did have which made my 15 year old daughter happy is the computer for guests at no charge to use in lobby. Also, they don't have coffee makers in the room, but just ask and they will send one to your room. The walk up to the hotel is not that bad, just as you want to complain that this sucks, your there. Nice plus, is the Vons supermarket is half way to the hotel and you can grab snacks and drinks. I don't know if they advertise, but they do have a fridge in the room. All and all this was perfect for a 2 night getaway and I would come back to this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank momluvs2travel
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I stayed in the partial view room up on the 4th floor and loved it. Quiet room towards the back of the hotel, loved the open air layout, and found the room to be very clean and modern. As far as noise I didn't hear a peep from anyone, but for those who have a room on the main walkway may have a different opinion. The weather was phenomenal during my late July stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank diggerfelps
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed here on an weekday over-night trip to the Island, we got a very decent weekday rate. If you only plan to sleep and dress in your room then this is a great hotel for you.

We had room 311 and it seemed like it was in the process of being renovated. The bed was a nice king with good bedding, the sink and vanity was modern, but the shower/toilet, table and TV were what you might find at a Holiday Inn. (This being an Island hotel, I give it a little more slack than usual)

The front desk staff was hit or miss. One woman was downright rude and another woman couldn't have been more helpful.

Most of the other reviews cover the issues on the carpet and the noise.

The hotel doesn't offer wireless Internet access, but you can buy time from a local provider that offers service across the town. (Catalina Computers).

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We waited until the last minute to book a hotel on Catalina Island and we came across this cute hotel. Only room left was the Penthouse. Very nice one bedroom like apartment. Very big plasma tv, nice full kitchen, comfy living room furniture and very comfortable bed. The bathroom was standard but it did have a cut washbasin with an interesting sparkly like skin in a unique wood encasing. Two balonies, one with views of the street and action and another with a nice wall garden with privacy. The only thing I have to complain about, is we have 3 pieces of luggage which is alot to bring to the island, we are scuba divers, and we had to carry them up multiple flights of stairs. I was a little upset with no one offering to help us considering we had paid $350 a night for this room. This hotel is on a hill and you have to make a little effort to get to it. I would not recommend if you are out of shape. If you are considering the penthouse, please consider walking up another 40 steps uphil after arriving to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple