The Casa Mariquita is a charming hotel that perfectly compliments Avalon's laid back lifestyle. The rooms are large by Avalon standards, and the staff are all cheerful and friendly. We have attended the annual October jazz festival for more than a dozen consecutive years and spent a week on Catalina each time, as have several of our friends, so we are familiar with most of Avalon's hotel accommodations. Casa Mariquita is definitely a cut above the majority of them. We've just finished our third stay at the Maraquita and have already reserved our room for next year, if that tells you anything.
Catalina in general and Avalon in particular are all about escaping the big city rat race and taking a step back in time to a simpler era. In that sense, Avalon is much like many small Mediterranean seaport towns - casual and easy-going. Most of Avalon's hotels have only 20 rooms or less. Expect something more along the lines of a small inn or bed-and-breakfast atmosphere. I think some people who visit Avalon are expecting the French Riviera or Acapulco. Those people are invariably disappointed, regardless of where they stay. You won't find a 400-room spa/resort on the island, because that's not what it's all about. Yes, you can get a fancier, although smaller, room at a couple of the newest hotels around town, but you'll pay more than twice as much to stay there.
For us, the Casa Mariquita has been just right - a great place to stay that's not so expensive as to break the bank. It's centrally located, so it's within walking distance to everything in town, including the Casino. The Mariquita is also one of the few hotels where we have felt comfortable leaving our valuables out whenever we leave the room.
Two thumbs up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When visiting beautiful Catalina Island, you will find a gem of a hotel called The Casa Marquita. Located a short walk from the bustling shops and restaurants on front street, Crescent Ave, the Casa Maraquita offers a quiet and comfortable place to stay. The staff are friendly and accommodating. Casa Mariquita boasts classic Spanish architecture keeping with the traditional charm of Avalon, Santa Catalina Island.Built in 1990, Casa Mariquita Hotel is among the newest built of all Catalina Island hotels. We offer a variety of Catalina Island hotel packages so that you can get the most out of your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Casa Mariquita Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Mariquita Avalon
- Casa Mariquita Hotel Avalon
- Casa Mariquita Hotel Catalina Island/Avalon, CA