“Service is fantastic” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Diego, California
“Service is fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I had the pleasure of working with Lauren at the front desk and she was so wonderful, helpful and accommodating. It makes a great hotel even that much better. The hotel has a variety of regular rooms and suites so there is something for everyone. They were nice enough to put champagne in our rooms since we were celebrating a special occasion.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Lauren L, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Mariquita Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing, Alice! We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stay in this hotel when I first visit the Catalina. I really recommend this nice place because it is quiet for sleep and it is the nice location. It only takes me about 1 min to the Vons and just a few mins to the main famous restaurants in Catalina.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vincent H
Lauren L, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Mariquita Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! Please come back and see us again soon!
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We like this lovely hotel so much!!
This is our second visiting--right upon our first pleasant stay in April, we had booked for this stay right away, afraid that its popularity will block us out in summer!
As the newest built hotel on the island, it's Mediterranean style building is so relaxing and cozy. You can actually see scene at even every corners of the outdoors stairway.
I heard the within-a-year-new owners just wanted to create a new atmosphere and they really do a great job on that-- the staff are not only welcoming and helpful, they actually do their every efforts to make people feel like home!
The room is very neat, bright & clean with very good quality beds and is so quiet that we slept so well like never before. There is even an empty small fridge that can keep our two days food & drink really cold and freezing, and you can find everything for a good breakfast at the small breakfast bar even egg burritos! When we eat and enjoy the nice breeze at the patio, the view made us feel like on the islands of Greece.
Also its location is perfect for walking to everywhere--beaches, stores, restaurants, golf car rental and the only supermarket Vons is just around the corner.
By the way, in spite of the newest built status and very nice new management system, their price is very friendly, so we have highly recommended it to all our friends & family!

Room Tip: The rooms at 3rd floor are very quiet and the patio is so nice and private.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Evelyn T
Thank you so much for the great review, Evelyn!
SE US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Pro's:
- Newer building
- Adequately clean
- Staff allowed checkout 15 mins late without extra charge
- WiFi
- Quiet area of Avalon, and hotel is adequately quiet, and close enough to the center of town (I don't get the people complaining about location - it is just 1/2 block from the main street!)
- Free luggage storage
- Decent breakfast
- Friendly staff
- Hardwood type floor so that is clean; no grungy carpet

Cons
- Overpriced for what you get, but it is Catalina Island
- No elevator; you need to carry your luggage up & down the stairs to your room
- Mirror in room is on closet, giving view of bath door from anywhere in room; disconcerting
- Breakfast does not start until 8

Room Tip: Get a high level so noone is walking around above you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Just_IMHO
Thank you for the great review! We appreciate that you took the time to let us know how we are doing and are considering your suggestions to improve our guests' experience!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was my first visit to the Catalina Island & staying at this hotel made the trip all worth a while. They are located literally right up the hill from downtown and Vons is within 1 min walking distance. When I addressed to the management about the wifi issue, they took care of the problem right away! Their complementary breakfast consisted of homemade breakfast burritos which was delicious! I'm definitely staying here again for my next visit.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Kakeruberg
Lauren L, Public Relations Manager at Casa Mariquita Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We are always happy to help our guests in any way we can, and have recently upgraded our Wi-fi to improve reliable connectivity for our guests.
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our family had a wonderful time this hotel. We got a double-bed room on the third floor, the hotel had an intriguing staircase that obtained a unique style of architecture. Our room was very clean, it had hardwood floor, and the furniture was very nice. I also enjoy reading at the patio which has the view of the ocean, it’s a shared area but rarely anyone else is there. Overall, it gives you the privacy and coziness as if you were residing in a vacation house, with a much more affordable price tag. The location is perfect for me, a couple of minutes walk to the beach but much more quiet (it’s also very close to the grocery store making it a convenient hotel).
Yeah, the front office people are very nice and helpful, they help me book the boat trips and they even offered beach towels to our kids after we already checked out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank WanchunWang
Thank you for the great review! We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay! Please come back and visit us again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have been going over to Catalina since I was a baby with my family. Since my Husband and I have been dating we spend a lot of time there now. My family usually rents a house for the summer otherwise we stay in the hotels. My Husband and I have stayed over in a lot of different hotels. Always had great experiences but we could not book a room for our anniversary because everything was booked. I came across Casa Mariquita on the Internet and I could not recall the hotel. I have been on that street zillions of times. Well I saw some photos and the reviews seemed decent and I thought it was cute. They had a room and it was my last option. The price was really great compared to the other hotels as well. So it did make me a little skeptical of how it might look. But the reviews were good.
Well when we arrived we were walking up the street and I noticed the hotel and could not believe I have really never noticed it all these years. It was cute from the outside and I really liked the location on the hill. We checked in very friendly lady. We felt welcomed and comfortable. As we walked to our room up stairs we could see different lovely views. We arrived at our room. A little small but the bed was one of those big wooden antique beds. Very pretty. The bathroom was very clean. There's a couple of tables outside with wonderful cozy views. We really felt at home here and had a wonderful stay. If your looking for a great hotel in a great budget over there this is the place. For someone who knows the island a lot and has stayed in a lot of hotels there this is one of the top on my list. We look forward to staying in this lovely cute cozy hotel again :)

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank DeniseRahman
Thank you for your great review, Denise! We enjoyed having you stay with us! Our guests are like family and it is important to us that they feel at home when they visit. Please come back and see us again soon!