“One of the true bargains in Catalina...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Mariquita Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Casa Mariquita Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Southern California
“One of the true bargains in Catalina...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2007

For this girlfriends' weekend, three of us shared a suite at The Metropole while two of us (including moi) shared a regular room (at less than half of what the Metropole charged the others) at Casa Mariquita.

What we got for $195 a night was a small but comfy room—overlooking the garden—with twin beds, an iron and ironing board, a mini-fridge (parked in the closet), and a standard bathroom with blow dryer and tub/shower. This was absolutely fine since we spent considerably more time out than in.

The most pleasant surprise of all was that we could walk right into town, even with the slight heat wave we experienced. But we drew the line at schlepping luggage between Casa Mariquita and the Catalina Express terminal—for which we got a cab both ways.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank MizKitty007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

Knowing nothing about Catalina Island, nor its accommodations, I had to base my decision to stay there on internet info. I've read good and bad reviews regarding this hotel. And I believe they are were pretty much right. I am pretty open-minded and don't believe everything I hear/read as truth. To the reader: when reading reviews look for recurring themes. Now, reading about CM I noticed noise as a common theme and the carpet a close second. #1 For a fairly new hotel, its look as old as the old hotels., #2 A hotel without a true lobby...I am leery of (my personal peeve), #3 The front desk person unknowing confirmed the noise issue...when I asked to get a quiet room. She put me in a room without a room above, so I wouldn't hear people walking. I swear I could hear the shower from the room below?,#4 I see the issue with the carpet. It wasn't bad, but it could use a deep cleaning. Also, they need to vacuum along the walls. #5 They tried to putty the crack in the sink, it looked tacky. They should have just left the crack alone.

Now, the front desk staff were fine. They didn't go the extra mile, nor were they rude. The exterior was okay. The bed was comfortable, but sadly a bug made an appearance. That was when I decided to cut my stay short and moved to The St. Lauren (to be reviewed).

Overall, its doable. There was one couple thats been staying their for many years. Its all depends on your prespective. If you plan to stay one or two nights, its okay. If its last minute, its okay. Like all travel accommodations, one room can be hell and another room can be heaven. Would I stay there again? I have to say, no.

• Liked — The comfort of the bed and location of the hotel
  • Disliked — The appearance of a bug
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank eventfuls
Fountain Valley, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2007

I expected it to be somewhat rundown but the beds were very comfortable and the bedding seemed to be brand new. The view of the hotel from the street doesn't do the interior any justice. I was more than satisfied with this hotel and would stay again. The only negative is the walls are a little thin so it's not recommended for a light sleeper.

• Liked — The price and the cleanliness.
  • Disliked — The thin walls.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank carissacorente
LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2007

After reading the many reviews I was a little unsure about staying in this hotel. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. This is not a luxury hotel but it's close enough to everything to have a good time. The photos on the website are true to life.

I wanted a room with a view but it was only available for one of the two days we were staying. The first night we stayed in the Queen with a view room (on the 4th floor). The room was small (but most things in Catalina are) but clean, decorated nicely and the view was great especially for the cost. The second night we stayed in the King without a view (3rd floor). This room was much larger (walk in closet, vanity) but unfortunately we could hear the plumbing from upstairs. The walls are pretty thin and has no elevator. Other than that I have no other true complaints.

The hotel staff was nice and even allowed us to check into our second room early (11:00a). Which was wonderful. I would recommend staying in this hotel. I would honestly only stay if I could have a room with a view....This is one of the best things about Catalina.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PickyTravelerLa
So. California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2006

Accomodating staff made my visit their priority. Very clean and quiet. Great location. Exceptional staff. A very relaxing tranquil experience. Affordable! Casa Mariquita, my newly found weeknd spa getaway (minus the spa).

• Stayed May 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank NytNrz
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2006

We booked this last minute in the peak summer season, and I was afraid to see the room -- but it was great! Sure it was up 4 flights of stairs, but once we were up there the view was spectacular, felt like the mediterranean. Staff was very very nice, and they were up each morning sweeping down the walkways,
seemed very concerned to keep the place nice. We paid $275/night mid-week to have a 2 room "suite" that had a King,
and in the other room 2 couches and a rollaway. Very nice rooms, views in both, with small balconies. Felt very private.
Would stay there again for sure!

• Liked — The cleanliness & the view
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank ejrice
LA, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2006

Friendly staff - Jeannette & Kathy were so helpful, really go the extra. Room was pleasant & clean. Great value - perfect for location & price.
Short walk to the beach, restaurants, shopping. Just a block to everything - but quiet, cute, lots of charm & lovely patios for relaxing & sunning. Staff just were outstanding, really cared that we had a great trip. Hot coffee with creamer & muffins. Nice start to a fun couple of days. Can't wait to come back. Too short a trip, book for for a week - you'll love it!
Highly recommend. Great experience - we'll be back!

• Liked — Helpful, friendly staff - location, price, luggage storage, hot coffee
  • Disliked — too short a visit
  • Tips/Secrets — You'll love it and wish you'd stayed longer!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple