“Whole Family Got Food Poisoning” 1 of 5 bubbles

Mi Casita Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 49 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Diego, California
“Whole Family Got Food Poisoning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

Went to Mi Casista in Catalina for my son's birthday (it was recommended on the City Council's Website) and we all came down with FOOD POISONING!!! Terrible experience and will probably not be back to visit the beautiful island because of it! We all ordered the Carne Asada plate and were sick by the end of the day and had to come home and cut our vacation short. Sat in Urgent Care for our son's birthday and was told we had all eaten "bad meat". Maybe the City should rethink directing visitors to Mi Casita.

• Visited January 2011
2 Thank KirstynB

Lodi CA
“Shrimp Omelette was excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

I enjoyed this restaurant. I asked for a shrimp omellette, that isn't on the menu, and it is one of the best I ever ate. The waiter usually says he'll ask the cook, but comes back saying, "no problem!". It comes with potatos with chorizo and cheese, which I also liked. My wife enjoyed the machaca and eggs, and the bloody caesars and marys are good. Salsa was pretty good as well, and they have a homemade hot sauce that I couldn't get enough of.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Redlands, California
“Good food, average service, nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

We ordered the tostaditos (which were tasty, but on the smallish side, but the included sides of mi casita rice and beans or fruit were ample and tasty) and the chicken torta sandwich meal (which my husband was generally unimpressed with - except that the fries were delicious)! The service was decent, but servers were not particularly interested or friendly. The decorations inside were colorful and fun. For the price, a decent place to eat.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Worst Mexican food we've ever had. The...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

Worst Mexican food we've ever had. The dressing I ordered, Balsamic Vinaigrette, was so sweet it made me want to vomit. It was "white" I was told when I then questioned our waitress. I told her I could not eat it, she took it away and did not offer to replace the salad till we asked. Everything was bland and tasteless, like it came from a can. Even the flour tortillas tasted "off", like they were made with old lard. My tilapia - pescados vera cruz - were drowned in a bland tomato sauce. Beans tasted straight out of a can. Rice and Margarita were ok. My husband had Sente Mares - the fish was ok but the broth was bland. This was a very sad last meal to end what was a wonderful trip to Catalina. Wish I'd read the reviews first, they've right on. I pulled them up on my phone at the end of the meal and at least we had a few laughs. Don't go, period!!!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
“We should have known better, as soon as...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

We should have known better, as soon as we were served a "salsa" which consisted of canned tomatos and a few green onions to make it look like salsa, we should have got up and left. What came later was just as bad; the food tasted like it came from a cheap Vegas buffet, no flavor and totally mushy. The service was awful; the waitress barely made eye contact and had no interest in our patronage. Don't bother with this sorry excuse for Mexican food!