“Don't waste your taste buds or money at Mi Casita”

Mi Casita Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 50 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Before picking Mi Casitas, we were recommended to eat at Lobster Trap or Stevens Steakhouse. But because we were looking for a restaurant in the less than $10.00 range per meal, which excluded the two above, and felt like Mexican we tried Mi Casitas. Having eaten at Mi Casitas years ago, which was owned by a local family, we decided to eat there. The atmosphere of the restaurant is inviting & it had a good number of patrons. Restaurant was clean, drinks looked great but we were tired & opted not to have more alcohol.
Our meal: The beans were watery, the rice was so so, tasted more like Spanish rice out of a box. Our main dish, the cheese enchilada was less than average (no flavor). The salsa had a taste of vinegar, (my wife was convince it was old & had gone sour) the chips were fair at best. A Mexican T V dinner, a bag of Santito chips and a jar of La Victoria Salsa or Pace Picante is better quality than what we had. How do you screw up Refried Beans and a cheese enchilada??? My kids can make better at home!

The next day, we talked to a few locals (three) that live in town. The local opinion from the three was the same as our experience. The restaurant is now owned by the same owners of El Galleon and both Antonio’s. While no one gave an opinion of Coyote Joe’s, they were all quick to give their low opinion of Mi Casitas. We were also told that if you are looking for good Mexican Food on the Island, to try the Sand Trap located in the back of town. The next day we ate at Pete's Plaza Café for breakfast and went again for lunch, both meals were excellent & reasonable.

Reviewed September 29, 2009

Not too sure about the food here, but the cazuela was amazing. It's this amazing drink served in a giant bowl. You can have your favorite liquor added to it, we'd recommend rum. We ate after we had a couple of the cazuelas, the ceviche was decent, but better than a lot of the food in town!

1  Thank Janely
Reviewed May 17, 2009

My wife and I participated in a large group dinner in the upstairs dining room of Mi Casia. The atmosphere was very pleasant, the food was good, and service was slow with drinks and a bit late with the food. Staff were excellent but the delays in service took away from their overall performance. Overall, however, I have rated them as very good.

Reviewed March 29, 2009

We have mixed feelings about our night at Mi Casita.
The atmosphere is great.
Nicely decorated.
It wasn't crowded so we got served immediately.
The chips & salsa were tasty. I ordered an enchilada, chile rellano and soft taco of the ala carte menu, and thought all three were delicious. My love had 2 tacos and thought they were average. our main gripe is with the price. The items were all $5 each. I know its an island, but $5 for a taco shell some lettuce cheese and meat is a little much.

But before the meal I had my second gin & tonic disappointment of the trip. I ordered Tanquerey gin, and from our booth i could lean back and watch the bartender make it. He poured what was left in a familiar green bottle, then reached into the well and poured the rest from a Seagrams bottle. I'm non-confrontational so I elected not to say anything. But it will be a note to myself when we return to the island.

Reviewed March 28, 2009

The food was good. The service not so good. We waited about 20 minutes just to be asked about drinks. Then we ordered our food. We were sitting there a full hour before we were given our food. I had to ask the young girl seating people if it would be much longer. There werent too many people and all we ordered were the street tacos and a mini burrito and a taco. I have never been to a restaurant were I have had to wait an hour before there was any food served. So the food is good but service slow.