“Best hotel on the island”
Review of The Edgewater

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Edgewater
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Long Beach
“Best hotel on the island”
Reviewed October 18, 2007

We booked our reservation with Debi on of the owners of the hotel. She was so nice to help us with planning our trip since this was going to be our first time on the island. She booked our boat reservations and also set up our inner island tour. She made reservations at a really nice italian resturant a set us up with a waitress named Michelle who totally went out of her way to make our meal perfect. At the hotel we met the other owner Marcy who was just as helpful as Debi was. Marcy even loaned us her golf cart so we could check out the island. I have read some of these other reviews and I wonder if they are thinking of the At Water Hotel then the Edgewater Hotel. Because the experience we had was out of this world. I would refer this hotel over any other hotel I have ever stayed at. If you want to go to a hotel that feels like home and everyone is awsome then this is the place. Just ask for Debi or Marcy and they will make sure you have a great stay.... And one more thing the room was really clean. I know that is suppose to be normal but we all know that it doesn't always happen that way... So Give the Edgewater Beachfront hotel a call you will not be sorry.. The Hendrson family

• Liked — The friendy atmosphere
  • Disliked — no internet service in the room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mrs_pitalongbeach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
OC, CA
Reviewed August 29, 2007

When I booked the reservation, I was told by a co-owner that I could cancel up to three days without a penalty. Because the written confirmation said there is a $50 penalty, I confirmed by e-mail our conversation, that there would be no penalty. I cancelled one month in advance, and it took the entire month to get my refund. But the other co-owner (Debbie) won't honor the agreement regarding the penalty, even though it's in writing. Not only that, but she was very rude on the phone. STAY AWAY!!!

Stayed August 2007
9 Thank Sidekicker
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 25, 2007

We made a reservation directly with the Edgewater. Before I made the ferry reservations a couple days later, I called to Edgewater to confirm the reservations.

However, when we arrived at the island the Edgewater said they never heard of us and there was nothing available.

Extremely unproffesional and shady operation.

Luckily there was a great room at the Canyon Hotel.

Stayed July 2007
7 Thank susanppb
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed June 18, 2007

Our expensive beachfront room was very spacious, with a separate bedroom. We were very pleased.....until we went to bed and realized our heads (Room #2) were about 10 feet from a rock band screaming just underneath our heads and over a couple of feet. Sleeping was impossible until after midnight. We complained and were moved to a little room in the very back of the hotel the next night, where we were treated to all the 2:00 a.m. noise of the bar closing plus very early garbage trucks in the morning.

The hotel has not returned our phone calls and has not credited out account, even for the difference in the cost of the rooms.

This was the worst hotel experience we have ever had after many years of extensive travel. We feel the presence of the noisy neighbor should have been disclosed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gvquilter
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks from June 3-17. Had three teenagers (2 mine) and my 7 year old with me. Stayed in room #4. Two queen beds and a trundle bed. Room was nicely furnished, a little tight for 2 weeks stay due to the way I pack (everything but kitchen sink), but comfortable. Owner Marcy was wonderfully accomodating and helpful. Carlton the dog stole my daughters heart. Staff very helpful and friendly. I can't say enough about the people who work here! Housekeeping did a great job, and everyone went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. Movies in office to check out (teens watch alot of tv!), beach towels and beach chairs to use, continental breakfast. Beach was just steps from front entrance. Loved our stay, will definitely be back!

• Liked — Proximity to beach and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Needed a bit more closet space
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa R
san carlos ca
Reviewed January 21, 2007

My husband and i and our 5lb Yorkshire Terrier stayed at this hotel over the Christmas Holiday. This hotel is very old and is not fancy and mordern. The hotel was very clean and the rooms were very nicely decorated. My only complaint was the bathroom sink area is kinda small and there is no shelf or place on the sink to put your toiletries or toiletry bag.
The staff at this hotel are very friendly and helpful if u need suggestions on what to do or where to eat.
This hotel is a very doggie friendly hotel. Most doggie friendly hotels that i have stayed in make u sign a contract saying u will not leave your pet in the room alone which makes it very difficult to go out to eat along with a bunch of other rules. This hotel does not make u sign anything and does not give u a list of doggie rules.
The problem is not the hotel but the town itself. This is not a doggie friedly town. U are limited in where u can take your dog in this town. Even the restaurants that have outside seating will not let u have your dogs with u outside. Most cities that i have vacationed at with my yorkie do not have doggie restaurant restrictions if u are eating outside.

• Liked — I enjoyed the staff, very accomadating. Very clean old hotel
  • Disliked — the small bathroom
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank minimom
san diego
Reviewed September 9, 2006

My boyfriend & I went to Catalina for a weekend getaway with our dog. We stayed at the Edgewater because it was the only hotel in town that could take dogs. From their website & the postings listed here, I thought it would be a cute little B&B with some charm. Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way. The hotel states that they are "dog friendly" however the street that the hotel is on is NOT dog friendly. When we arrived to Catalina trying to get to our hotel with all our luggage we were immedialtely kicked off the pedestrian road and made to go around a few blocks, around an alleyway to get to our hotel. THis does not make sense. When we got to the hotel we got stuck with one of the back rooms- no ocean view, and our window looked out to a back patio where the receptionist smokes and stores old furniture. The blinds on the windows were a little bent so anyone sitting out on the patio could look in and see us. When I went to tell the receptionist, she really didn't care so I asked if I could have a bed sheet to tack up & cover the windows- so no sunlight for 3 days. The hotel is more of a motel, pretty run down. Continental breakfast consisted of stale danishes sitting on a table in the hallway- sorry- not edible. Rooms are simple & clean, but nothing to rave about. I know that Catalina is a touristy town and hotels are pricey, but for $165 a night it was not worth it. Only plus to this motel was it's location which is across the street from the water on the main strip with shops & restaurants, but Catalina is so small any hotel in town would have been fine.

• Liked — only hotel in town that takes dogs
  • Disliked — overprices for what you get
  • Tips/Secrets — next time leave fido at home- catalina not so dog-friendly
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank traveller327