“Drinks are great.”

Ranked #20 of 50 Restaurants in Avalon
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2009

The best Bloody Mary's on the island. The bar is well staffed and stocked. The food is average.

Reviewed October 21, 2008

We visited El Galleon three times last week (Oct 08).
The first time was for margaritas after having arrived in Avalon during the JazzTrax festival. The drinks were fairly good as well as reasonably priced.
Second time was during the ALCS baseball playoffs - El Galleon is packed with TVs and has a couple large ones near the front. The place was really packed,so we decided to pass and come back another time.
The third time was on a Sunday night - another playoff night - when things were quieter. We sat near the big TVs, watched the game, and ordered martinis to start, which were excellent. We then ordered dinner, which turned out to be pretty disappointing. The appetizer spinach and artichoke dip was pretty pasty and flavorless, much like others have described. My wife and I split the barbeque combo, which consisted of ribs, kielbasa, chicken, corn, and beans. The kielbasa was gristly and the ribs were pretty fatty. They were both swimming in a too-sweet, soupy barbeque sauce. The chicken was OK, once the sauce was scraped away. The chicken, kielbasa, and ribs were all coated with the same barbeque sauce, and it seemed to be basted on after the fact (as opposed to being cooked in it). The dish of beans was cold on arrival. Neither of us touched the half-ear of corn - it just looked dry and unappetizing.
The food portions were generous; prices were moderate; and service was kind of split down the middle - it took us about 30 minutes to get someone's attention initially, but after that things moved along smoothly. The bathrooms were a little funky, but we've seen worse.
Bottom line: good place for a drink and people-watching without breaking your budget...but you might want to either consider eating elsewhere, or perhaps read the other reviews closely to see if there are dishes that the El Galleon consistently does well. We definitely wouldn't repeat on the barbeque.

Reviewed October 20, 2008

My husband & I enjoyed the lobster. It was inexpensive and the portion was huge. Two could actually split one meal.

The decor is all over the place, but the service was good and the location is offers good views.

Reviewed October 15, 2008

Six of us stopped for lunch. Started out okay, but someone in our party spilled a glass of water while reaching for the appetizer the waiter was handing her. In the midst of the waiter sopping up the water, he spilled an entire bloody mary on my sisters lap. (where she was holding her brand-new jacket, of course). She was soaked with tomato juice, and didn't sit with us again until our entrees came. The waiter left her empty glass sitting in front of her, and never came back after he served us. We had to flag him down to ask for another drink for her.

Once our check came I noticed he charged us for the new drink, so I said "Sir, I think you accidently charged us for the drink you spilled". He apologized and went away. Then he never came back. I got up to speak with him and he informed me that his manager said we had to pay for the drink. I asked to speak to the manager, and he came out all ruffled up and yelling at me. He did not even let me speak, and told me that they were not paying for a drink we spilled by "playing around". What? We had six adult women eating lunch. Playing around? Pretty insulting. Not to mention that that was the first time he had even been on the floor. Then he went on to say how rude I was for asking for a free drink. Oh, and he asked the waiter if he had spilled it, and the waiter said no. I really could not believe what I was hearing. I actually argued with him for a minute, but was so insulted I just paid and left. Without giving a tip, which I NEVER do, I was in the restaurant industry for many years, and usually overtip no matter what.

The real kicker was that the food was terrible! It actually made me sick. Don't go.

Reviewed October 12, 2008

One of the ports on our cruise recently was Catalina Island. We stopped in at El Galleon for pineapple margaritas - very good! The service was great, the atmosphere was good and $5.50 a margarita sure beats the $10 ones on the ship :)