“Great Lobster!”

El Galleon
Ranked #19 of 49 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cali
“Great Lobster!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

My husband & I enjoyed the lobster. It was inexpensive and the portion was huge. Two could actually split one meal.

The decor is all over the place, but the service was good and the location is offers good views.

Columbus, Ohio
“Bloodied by waiter”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2008

Six of us stopped for lunch. Started out okay, but someone in our party spilled a glass of water while reaching for the appetizer the waiter was handing her. In the midst of the waiter sopping up the water, he spilled an entire bloody mary on my sisters lap. (where she was holding her brand-new jacket, of course). She was soaked with tomato juice, and didn't sit with us again until our entrees came. The waiter left her empty glass sitting in front of her, and never came back after he served us. We had to flag him down to ask for another drink for her.

Once our check came I noticed he charged us for the new drink, so I said "Sir, I think you accidently charged us for the drink you spilled". He apologized and went away. Then he never came back. I got up to speak with him and he informed me that his manager said we had to pay for the drink. I asked to speak to the manager, and he came out all ruffled up and yelling at me. He did not even let me speak, and told me that they were not paying for a drink we spilled by "playing around". What? We had six adult women eating lunch. Playing around? Pretty insulting. Not to mention that that was the first time he had even been on the floor. Then he went on to say how rude I was for asking for a free drink. Oh, and he asked the waiter if he had spilled it, and the waiter said no. I really could not believe what I was hearing. I actually argued with him for a minute, but was so insulted I just paid and left. Without giving a tip, which I NEVER do, I was in the restaurant industry for many years, and usually overtip no matter what.

The real kicker was that the food was terrible! It actually made me sick. Don't go.

Oak Hills, California
“Good margaritas!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2008

One of the ports on our cruise recently was Catalina Island. We stopped in at El Galleon for pineapple margaritas - very good! The service was great, the atmosphere was good and $5.50 a margarita sure beats the $10 ones on the ship :)

Valencia, CA
“Ok food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2008

This is a no frills place looks better from the outside. Plastic glasses & not the hard plastic either, sawdust floor. It's more of a drinking & kareoke place. It feels like a Shakeys Pizza or Chuck E Cheeses inside eventhough it has a very nautical theme. The food is ok, nothing special.We had the scallone almondine & swordfish. The portions were pretty good size. The wine list is not so good. The service had a very rushed feel. I think this place really gets going later when the kareoke starts & most of the people have a buzz. We walked by later (after 9pm) & it was pretty
loud. This place is about average of what you find on Catalina.

San Diego
“Horrible Food & Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2008

This was by far one of the worst restaurants I have ever eaten at! We were seated around 8:30pm and waited 20 minutes before our server came over to us. We ordered the spinach & artichoke dip to start and that should have given us a hint of what the rest of the food was like. They basically took bland alfredo sauce warmed it up and threw some spinach and artichokes in there.

We were hoping the dinner would get better, but we were so wrong. I ordered the house salad and scallop chowder. The chowder tasted like flour! It was horrible! I tried the salad and thought how can you mess up a salad? Well, it was missing half the ingredients listed on the menu, so I basically got lettuce, a tomato and a cucumber. My friend ordered french onion soup that was salty broth with a bunch of cheese and her salad was disgusting as well. My boyfriend ordered the steak and it was a bit over cooked. His meal was by far the most palettable, so we all shared that.

Our server asked about 30 minutes later if everything was ok and we explained the food issues. She said ok, took our food away and we waited another 15 minutes for the check.

This is definitely the worst restaurant I have ever been to!