“Best Deal!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catalina Lodge

Catalina Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Catalina Lodge
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Lyle, Washington, United States
“Best Deal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We enjoyed our visit here. The owners/staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean with all regular amenities. It is located a block off the main drag which contributes to it's quietness. Would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Paradise CA.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I wrote once before about the Catalina Lodge but I recently returned to have my wedding/ family reunion there, on Catalina Island. Let me just say out of all the places I had to choose from including the Wrigley Mansion(paid for by my brothers) I choose this place. It is clean, close to all and yes the best priced but that did not matter. You can take your family there and take over the place and gain Roberta and Bruce, the hard working owner/managers, as family too. It is so great to be close to all the places on the Island and feel like you have a personal assistant to help with your every need. It has a refrigerator and ice compartment in every room and fans, flat screens, and is super clean and up to date with great showers too. However the people is what keep us going back here. Example, my nieces lost keys were mailed to us in one day! (no charge)Just awesome service! Please don't disrespect the place with smoking (anywhere) and drinking in the hallway, you know like basic stuff. That is all they ask in return, respect people and the property so it will continue to be a special place for everyone! Happy times for you too!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, besides the fact you would and should be in them very little time while visi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HonestAbe_11
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My BFF was turning 75 and had never been to Catalina. So we took the Catalina Express (free on her birthday) I printed out all of the hotels in Avalon in price order. The least expensive was Catalina Lodge. I called and made a inquiry, made the reservation, thinking I can always call to cancel. The other hotels were more than double that price. So fortunately I was able to keep my reservation. And so glad we did. Right across the street is where you book and take your tours. Vons just around the block. Flat walking, no hills. Coffee in the office ready at 7:15am. Micro and little fridge in each room.Very clean. The parents owned it in the 70's and now Roberta and her husband own it. In the summer months the prices go up so we were blessed that this hotel was in our budget and will stay again every summer.

Room Tip: From what we read we asked for a quieter room and Roberta obliged us. We're seniors so we don...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank YoungSeniorCruiser
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Catalina Lodge and had a great experience. The Lodge is located in an ideal part of Avalon. No need to walk far to get to anything. It is located in the flatlands which make it a easy walk/bike ride coming back from the beach. The rooms are very comfortable and have everything you need including a flat screen TV(with cable TV), small refrigerator, microwave, hairdryer and FREE Wi-Fi. The rooms were small but very comfortable, clean and cozy for our family of 2 adults and 3 kids. The owners did everything they could to make sure we had a enjoyable time. They provide beach chairs and towels for all guest so no need to haul those to the island from home. Mrs. Black (the owner with her husband) was always very helpful to give us recommendations on the best deals for all the various activities. She also saved us on food costs including $1 Taco's at the Sand Trap. We will definitely return to this quiet, clean, affordable and comfortable lodge the next time we come to Catalina. It is a true find.....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jack B
Mission Viejo, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I guess I've just been spoiled by the amenities at other $200 a night hotels (including taxes). This ten unit lodge is run by a very sweet husband and wife team. Accordingly, the main desk is often unmanned although we never had a problem finding the owners during our stay.

I think this is the first place I've ever stayed that did not have air conditioning. It was sometimes slightly uncomfortable but not a deal breaker as the cool ocean breezes generally suffice. There is also no hair dryer, no in room safe or ironing board.

On the positive side, it came with a small microwave and free wifi, both cost extra at the Hilton.

It's a short block and a half walk to the beach and downtown. Roberta, the owner, gave us the low down on all the deals - saved us a lot with the groupon deal for the Catalina Flyer.

Our room was clean with a small bathroom - shower only, no tub. Very clean.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
catalinarb, Owner at Catalina Lodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
I am happy that you enjoyed your stay at our family run 15 room on Catalina Island. However, I am puzzled that your didn't find the hairdryer or request an iron/ironing board if needed. The room amenities were listed in the confirmation email ~ hairdryers are in each room (black bag labeled with red lettering) and iron/ironing boards are available upon request. I would have gladly provided your family with the iron and ironing board if asked, as I did with the beach towels when you requested them. Our property was built in the 40's and 50's and we have been working hard to improve each room. Unfortunately, air conditioning is not feasible for us. I do make sure to let each guest know when reserving their room that we do not have air conditioning and that the rooms do have desk fans. Thank you again for the input and I hope your children enjoy their memories of our beautiful island.
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We just returned from a very nice weekend in Catalina. We stayed at the Catalina Lodge after checking out several tripadvisor reviews and we are glad we decided to stay here. Our room was small, but very clean and well equipped. We had a fridge, microwave, hair dryer, along with the normal soap, towels, etc. Roberta had beach towels for us to take on our snorkling trip and a wine opener (and glasses!) for the wine we purchased. She was also full of great advice and pointers - since it was our first time on the island. The only downside is that our room happen to be on a busy corner - and the golfcarts driving by made sleeping very difficult until it got later into the night when town slowed down. If we stay again (and I would definitely return to this lodge) we will request one of the 'inside' rooms to lessen the noise. Otherwise, a great, clean place with a kind, caring inn keeper!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank likes2bike
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for 2 to 3 years every 1st weekend in May when the Old Boy Rugby Festival is going on. The Catalina Lodge has easy access right to the main boardwalk, very friendly and helpful management/owners, and they have upgraded many things within the rooms. New beds, rooms generally have tv, mini fridge and microwave. Clean bathrooms with good hot water and water pressure. I always get the stumble room, aka # 6, for it is right behind the office and right next to the sidewalk. After a night a bar hopping with my fellow rugger teammates, this is an excellent choice versus climbing stairs or navigating through a hotel to get to your room. I know I'm probably forgetting other ammenities offered but the point is I REALLY like this place and will continue to stay at the Catalina Lodge for years to come.

Room Tip: See my review regarding the stumble room...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo