“Great Value with Great Service”
Review of Catalina Lodge

Catalina Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Catalina Lodge
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Whittier, California
“Great Value with Great Service”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

What a great find in Avalon! Great room for someone that is looking for something affordable and clean. Roberta was great and such a pleasant person. The rooms are small, so if you are expecting a huge suite type room, don't book here. But if you are looking for someplace simple and clean with affordable rates, this is the place to be. I would definitely go back. The lodge is not far from the beach and she even offers her beach towels and beach chairs to use for free. It is also very close to the "tour alley" so it is close if you are going to be taking tours. Our room had a refrigerator, microwave, and flat screen tv with ample cable channels. Once again, nothing flashy, but the room was clean and the bed was comfortable..couple that with great customer service, and I will definitely go back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank fxgjr

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Jose, California
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Upon arrival Roberta greeted me with flowers for my birthday. She continued to pamper us throughout our stay by giving us detailed directions, descriptions and tips for enjoying our excursions and with discounts around town. From beach towels to boarding passes, she was a personal concierge.
The rooms are small with a vintage feel that I personally love from the days of hometown motels. They managed to put in a fridge, microwave and flat screen
tv, a rare find in this town at a rate we could afford.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank alerisak
SANTA ROSA
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I discovered the Catalina Lodge on a day trip to the island. I was looking for an inexpensive place to stay during the Catalina Island JazzTrax Festival. I met Bruce and Roberta Black, the owners, and made a reservation for October.

Unlike many of the other hotels on the island, they did not raise their prices for the jazz festival weekend. The location was perfect, a few blocks from the beach and close to everything. My room was small, but clean and comfortable. The mattress was new and the room had a refrigerator, microwave, and flat screen TV with a generous satellite TV package. The rooms are on one level which was great for getting luggage in and out. (I talked to many people at the jazz festival who stayed in more expensive hotels and had to haul luggage up several flights of stairs.)

This is an older, "motel-type" structure, but the friendliness of the owners made it feel more like a well run B&B. Roberta and Bruce are in the process of updating the rooms so some of the furnishings and carpeting are older, but clean and functional.

There was coffee available in the lobby every morning and although there is no "business center", Roberta printed my airline boarding pass on the morning I was to leave and even drove me over to the Catalina Express. The lodge doesn't offer transportation and taxis are easy to get if you don't want to walk, but if the owners have time, this is an example of the type of extra service that you get here. They are also very knowledgeable about activities and restaurants on the island.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
9 Thank livinmay
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We spent a night on Catalina Island and had chosen the Catalina Lodge on the advice of friends. It is a terrific find - friendly, pleasant, great location, very moderate price with a new mattress on each bed, and freshly painted rooms. Each room also has a refrigerator and a microwave - which is a real convenience given the high prices for restaurants and often long waits for a table. The young woman on the desk (a member of the family that owns the Lodge) was very knowledgeable about the island, and extremely helpful in advising on activities for a short stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank asg42
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 10, 2010

On Memorial day last week I stayed 3 days and 2 nights at the catalina Lodge at 235 Beacon St. Bruce and Roberta Black (owners) are the sweetest and most helpful people I met on the island. They bent over backwards to accomodate me during my stay. All in all from the price to the room I give it two thumbs up! I will be staying there every time I visit Catalina. I have found my home away from home =).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
7 Thank devildogg76
Folsom, California
Reviewed May 11, 2010

My wife and I needed a place to stay for the night and stumbled upon a little motel called the Catalina Lodge. The owners were very nice and even let us check out an hour later to sleep in a bit longer. The room was furnished with a microwave, refrigerator and television. Not much more needed for a relaxing trip to Catalina Island. Our room was clean and access to additional towels and pillows were offered if needed. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a quick getaway at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelingDad001
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed December 7, 2008

Was looking for a weekend getaway during the off-season in Catalina when its a little quietier. normally you can find reduced rates at many of the hotels but It turned out to be Triathlon weekend, and the economy hotels were booked.

I had walked by the Catalina Lodge on other trips to Catalina and thought I'd give them a call. The manager explained that the credit card machine was down, that I would need to pay cash so I was a little nervous to show up, and find I have no room. The manager was there onsite, and was awaiting our arrival.

The large room was simply furnished, plus microwave, small refrigerator. Its was clean and location was steps from the center of Avalon.

Due to the high winds, we were unable to leave as plan, and the manager was very accomodating. Since we were unable to leave, he even discounted the rate for the extra night since we were stranded. If your looking for an affordable alternative, and don't need a lot of frills - this may be the place for you.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Didn't accept credit card
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple