“Excellent”
Review of Steve's Steakhouse

Steve's Steakhouse
Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Avalon
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
San diego
“Excellent”
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

From the hostess greeting, to our waiter John, to the food of ribeye and sea bass served, we could not have been happier. Great view, waitstaff very attentive, and even a visit from the owner provided us a great dining experience. My wife and I were celebrating our 22nd anniversary after the conservancy island marathon and couldn't have been more pleased to have dined at Steve's Steakhouse. In one word - AWESOME!
S & J

Visited March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent dining experience at Steve's Steakhouse on TripAdvisor. We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience with us; everything from being greeted to our service, food and views! It sounds like you had a wonderful anniversary weekend and we are very happy that we could be a part of making your 22nd year together an awesome experience! And by the way, congratulations not only on your anniversary but also for running in the Conservancy's marathon. It must be the best way to see all the incredible beauty of the island's interior and not to mention quite challenging!

We hope you dine with us again next time you come to the island, and wish you many happy anniversaries to come!

With warm regards from Catalina,

Steve and Margaret Bray, and our family at Steve's Steakhouse

• Korean first
Chicago
“Awesome steaks and seafood”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Had an amazing meal at Steve's - fantastic ribeye and sea bass. The key lime pie martini was amazing!!!!

Visited March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a nice review about your recent dining experience at Steve's Steakhouse on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate your praise and are delighted to read that you enjoyed your ribeye and sea bass and thought our key lime pie martini was amazing. In fact, that particular martini won 1st place for "Best of Drink" in the Avalon Taste Around, an annual event where locals and visitors vote for their favorite "tastes" of food, drink and dessert. If you thought our key lime martini is amazing, next time you visit the island, come in for a slice of our key lime pie, which is one of our signature items on the menu. Again, thank you for your review and we hope you make it to the island again and look forward to serving you.

With warm regards from the island,

Steve and Margaret Bray, and our family at Steve's Steakhouse
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We Were All Sick”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Coming to Catalina so long I remember when this restaurant was the Upstairs Place. Took 2 locals there for their anniversary. All 4 of use got really sick. Hard to want to go back. Be careful.

• Visited April 2013
Dear Guest,

I was very concerned after reading your review on TripAdvisor and would very much appreciate it if you could ask your friends that dined with you, who you mentioned in your review as being "locals", to please come in and see me as I would very much like to discuss this highly important matter with them. Since you have been a long-time visitor to the island, you may know the old saying here "I heard it on the wall" and know that Avalon is a very tight-knit community and something of this nature, which you described, would have spread like wild fire through the community and, more than likely, someone would have said something to me and/or one of my family members.

Since reading your review, I asked my crew, friends and family if they heard anything in regards to this matter. Being a long-time visitor you might know that one of my brothers is the Avalon harbor master and the other is a fireman with the Avalon fire dept./paramedics, and neither one of them heard anything, nor did any of my crew or any of my friends hear of any talk in town of anyone being sick after dining at Steve's Steakhouse. In addition, I checked with the Avalon Medical Clinic and there were no reports of any sicknesses caused by eating out at any restaurant on March 17 or during that weekend. Furthermore, I am confused as to when you actually dined with us as your review appeared on March 17, 2014, but it stated at the end of the review that you visited in April 2013.

I am very concerned about this matter especially since in all the years we have been open, more than 12 years, no one has ever gotten sick from dining at Steve's Steakhouse and again I ask you if you could have your friends contact me and/or if you would contact me yourself so we may discuss this most unfortunate situation.

Steve Bray, owner Steve's Steakhouse
San Diego
“Average”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

The service here was great - super friendly waiter and they happily accommodated us with a baby at a busy time on the weekend. That said, we found the steaks and accompanying vegetables (sauteed vegetables in my case, asparagus in my husband's case) was plain and tastleless. My husband ordered his steak medium-rare and had to send it back to be cooked a little more as it looked rare to us.

We had high expectations as this restaurant was rated #1 on trip advisor on Catalina Island... we were disappointed.

• Visited March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your recent dining experience at Steve's Steakhouse. It is wonderful to read that you were pleased with our friendly, personal service but I regret that you were disappointed with your meals. Please know that your opinion truly matters to me, and I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. In all honesty, I feel really, really bad as I understand what it means to go out to dinner when you have a baby. Besides the extra preparations it takes, being able to take the time to take a getaway and to go out to dinner is a special treat when you have a baby. My son has 2 young children, in fact one is a new-born, and going out to dinner for them is a major event. So please accept my sincerest apology and if there is anyway I can make it up to you, please don't hesitate to contact me personally. I can always be reached at the restaurant.

With great sincerity,

Steve Bray, owner, Steve's Steakhouse
Lincoln, California
“Ask for a window table”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This was our best meal on the island. Of course, after the " complimentary" breakfast at the Seaport Village Inn, this was really outstanding!

We had a very accommodating young man as our server who was attentive to the right extent. We had a shrimp salad with the biggest shrimp ever and it was delicious. We also had the veggie plate with a " do die for " artichoke". A tad pricey for veggies but excellent.

The restaurant was busy with locals and tourists , always a good sign to me.

A day trip to the island would include a nice meal for me here.

• Visited February 2014
Steve B, Owner at Steve's Steakhouse, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor and giving Steve’s Steakhouse 5-stars! We truly appreciate your compliments and are pleased that you enjoyed your shrimp salad and artichoke appetizer. As you know, our location offers fabulous views of Avalon Harbor but to guarantee window seating I do recommend that you make reservations in advance, however, even if you don't have a reservation, if a window table is available we of course will seat you there. But it is best to make a reservation to guarantee a table with a view. Again, thank you for the nice review and we look forward to serving you again on your next trip to Catalina.

With warm regards from the Island,

Steve and Margaret Bray and our family at Steve's