“They are way too proud of this place”
Review of Steve's Steakhouse

Steve's Steakhouse
Ranked #1 of 50 Restaurants in Avalon
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Laguna Niguel, California, United States
“They are way too proud of this place”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We got to the island Friday. Made res in person for sat night. Showed up at time of res got decent table. The waiter was very nice. Ordered steak an lobster med rare 4 orders. Could see people complaining around us about steaks being overdone. The waiter would be nice enough about returning the food. Then they would come out raw. The waiter would explain the chef was MADD an had an attitude. Now it was our turn I am not one to complain an just ate my burnt steak the lobster was small but ok. I misted waited for my girlfriend an kids to cut into there steaks an here we go burnt an back they went. I knew what was coming next but just waited. I am that guy that listens to everybody around me. The steaks returned with cold lobster an raw. My girlfriend was upset an the owner came over to explain everyone makes mistakes. I said ok but what about the chefs attitude an asked him if he would eat that steak an he said no an went off in a huff. The steaks came back burnt again an the waiter said I don't know what to do we gave up paid the tab left a 30% tip. the waiter was honest probably got him in trouble. I have no clue why this place was rated 1 it was sizzler at best

stevecat, Owner at Steve's Steakhouse, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Sir,

In response to your review on Trip Advisor of your experience at Steve’s Steakhouse that occurred a few weeks ago, I would like to take this opportunity to address the situation in which you described.

Firstly; I would like to thank you for acknowledging that your waiter was nice, however, I do not believe that at any time did the waiter say that the chef was mad or that he had an attitude. We are a family owned and operated steakhouse in a quaint seaside resort town and believe that our chef is not delusional of that fact. Why would he have an attitude? He loves what he does and has been with us since the day we opened 12 years ago.

Secondly; I do admit that we did not hit a home run with one of your steak and lobster dinners. It did take us two tries to get your order right, but we did do everything we could to rectify the situation and did profusely apologize for our mistakes. In addition, at no time was your steak served burnt, over cooked and under cooked yes, but certainly not burnt. Moreover, I do know that at no time during the evening were any other guests at adjoining tables complaining about their steaks and sending them back.

Please excuse me if I may sound defensive or antagonistic, and know that it is not my intention if it should read that way. It is just that I believe I need to set the record straight with the understanding that each person’s opinion of an experience is biased and it is obvious that we have two different opinions of the same situation. I do, however, honor your opinion and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

In conclusion, I would like to sincerely apologize for our mistakes and want to truly thank you and your family for dining with us and hope your overall experience on Catalina was enjoyable.

Respectfully,

Steve Bray, owner Steve’s Steakhouse

• Korean first
Las Vegas
“Avalon Steakhouse”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The restaurant is a great place to see the end of your day at the second story location on the main street of Avalon. The service is very good and the view from most of the restaurant looking at the harbor is second to none. The food is oustanding and the fresh catch or steaks are well worth the visit to this restaurant.

stevecat, Owner at Steve's Steakhouse, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at Steve’s Steakhouse on TripAdvisor. It was nice to read that your overall dining experience with us was pleasurable. We also appreciate you recommending Steve’s in your review. We hope you will dine with us again on your next trip to Catalina and look forward to serving you.

With warm regards from Catalina Island,

“burger to go”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stopped in at Steve's and was sent to the "to go" room. The staff there were really sweet and made a absolutely killer buffalo cheese burger. It was the best meal I had on the island.

stevecat, Owner at Steve's Steakhouse, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing about your "to go" order at Steve’s Steakhouse on TripAdvisor. It is great to read that you felt our buffalo cheeseburger was the best meal you had on the island! We are glad you enjoyed it, and we appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. I will be sure to share your review with Chef Frank and our team.

With warm regards from Catalina,

Walkersville, Maryland
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

While in Catalina we asked where we could find the best steak and were told Steve's Steak House. We finally did go and while we had a nice view and table we were very disappointed in the service and the meal. We each had a filet and were looking forward to enjoying this. The waiter came to out table to take our order and never returned. We were served by several people with our meal, water and bread. Our steaks were ordered medium rare and medium. They were both almost well done. Not only were they overcooked but they were tasteless. What a waste of time and money for us. We didn't complain to anyone as we felt with the service we had seen so far why bother. Further we never saw our waiter again. It also took a long time to get our check, pay and receive our credit cards back. Not a place I would recommend, though the view if you are lucky to snag a decent seat in the front is beautiful. Go for a cocktail.

Dallas, Texas
“average for the price”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Service was good, not great. Food was good, not great. Drinks were good, not great. Not much else to say. About middle of the road. We did not leave disappointed, but it was not stellar, either. Two new restaurants in this price range just recently opened so they have some stiff competition.

Visited June 2013
stevecat, Owner at Steve's Steakhouse, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It was nice to read that your overall dining experience with us was good. We hope you would dine with us again on your next trip to Catalina and give us the opportunity to change your experience with us from middle of the road to stellar.

With warm regards from Catalina Island,