“Great hotel and great customer service”
Review of The Avalon Hotel

The Avalon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Carlsbad, California
“Great hotel and great customer service”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was our first time to the Catalina Island. We stayed at the Avalon hotel. It is a great hotel, clean and great location. The staff are wonderful, friendly and great customer service. We felt very comfortable and enjoyed our time so much. I would like to especially thank Laurie Sanchez, awesome customer service and hotel keeper. Thank you.

1 Thank Thu B
TheAvalonHotels, Owner at The Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
It's wonderful to hear that you had a great time. We'll be sure to share your compliments with Laurie.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I recently stayed for 1 night at the Avalon Hotel with my boyfriend. We had a wonderful experience! We were greeted by Laurie, the inn keeper, who was so friendly and helpful. Since we had limited time on the island she helped make reservations for us immediately for excursions and dinner. She then showed us our room which was clean and beautiful, filled with so many nice touches.... complimentary drinks in the fridge, wine glasses and cork screw, books, beach bag with beach towels, spa toiletry items, to name a few. The view from the roof was absolutely beautiful and relaxing and I even loved sitting in the garden by the coy pond. The complimentary continental breakfast was great and had plenty of choices. I would recommend this hotel to everyone, we had a wonderful time!

Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

The Avalon hotel is one of the best hotels in Catalina if you want a nice view,nice staff and a good place to sleep. It does not serve an extensive breakfast so it is better to go out for food. It has a nice bathroom and a nice tv and you can rent DVDs. The front desk can call cabs and recommend good local restaurant's. There is also a refreshment stand near the front desk. The hotel also has a top deck with chais and a mini fridge with water in it.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chase H
San Diego
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel was simply wonderful. The Inn Keepers are all so wonderfully hospitable. We were so warmly welcomed and shown up to our room. They do a simple wine and cheese gathering in the garden that is complimentary. Our room was wonderful. The bed was so comfortable...they have the memory foam mattresses. Everything was very clean. I would suggest an update on the comforters/bed spreads is all...they look old and don't match the charm of the rest of the place. That is the only constructive criticism I have. And that certainly doesn't affect one's experience. The bathroom was great and they offer a great array of complimentary bath items. The staff were all very friendly and helpful in every way possible. We can't wait to come back again for another visit. This was the best place we have ever stayed while visiting Catalina!

Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I just returned from a 3-day, 2 night stay at the Avalon Hotel, and had a wonderful experience there. We stayed in a 2nd floor Garden Room, which to my surprise had a very nice view of the pier and part of the marina. Enough that I was able to watch the sunrise from my room each morning! Not to mentioned it overlooks a charming courtyard with pretty gardens and a tranquil koi pond.

Laurie, the Innkeeper, was so friendly and helpful from the moment that I first called to book our trip. She remembered my entire family by name when we arrived and was super helpful in directing us around Avalon. It was like a friend was waiting to welcome you! I also appreciated that our package included the boat ride to and from the island as well as taxi transfers. It made the whole process so simple!

The rooms were clean and spacious, and well stocked with complimentary beverages, snacks, beach bags with towels, and wonderful spa toiletries. The bedding was so soft and luxurious. My fifteen year old son remarked that the beds were "more heavenly" than the hotel we had just come from known for their Heavenly Beds. I have to agree with him!

The morning breakfast in the courtyard was a delightful start to each day. The selection exceeded the typical hotel continental breakfast with plenty of options for everyone. And the view from the rooftop deck was a perfect way to end the day.

I have no complaints whatsoever. We had a wonderful experience at the Avalon and will stay there again next time we return!

Room Tip: The garden-facing rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors have more ocean view than I expected and are quiet...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank L2Brew
San Clemente, California
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I wanted to plan a special getaway for my hard-working husband, just a little R & R for his birthday. The last time I had booked on Catalina, I took the bait for the "budget hotel" and were really sorry. I thought my husband would NEVER EVER let me book a hotel again after we had to leave budget hotel early to be able to get a decent night's sleep we were robbed of by all the partying Spring Breaker crowd in the room 5 or 6 doors away.
But at The Avalon Hotel, everything would be different. Not only did we get a nice night's sleep, but we were treated to a complimentary wine/cheese reception on Friday night. The choice of wines impressed picky-wine experts present and we had a nice time chatting with the other guests like we were old friends.
Our room was somewhat cozy, spacewise, but the interior deco intelligently appointed a comfortable, clean look. (Aren't those flat-screen HD plasma tv's amazing?) The bathroom was just beautiful, with its stunningly clean surfaces and the white/blue color scheme were a perfect match to the Pacific ocean, which beckoned yards away from the open air balcony. And how about those complimentary skin care products? This stuff is niiiiiice. (Where can I BUY this?)
And the king-size bed. Oh, so THAT's what a temper pedic mattress feels like. Wow. If it wasn't for the kayaking, the golf, the parasailing, the swimming, the hiking, the bowling and the delicious seafood at the nearby restaurants, I'd love to spend the whole day just lazing around.

Now as if that wasn't enough, I must say what tops it all off is the staff who run The Avalon Hotel. These people just hit it out of the park. Laurie and her husband are a rare find: friendly and efficient. Even the housekeeping people were pleasant, courteous, and would ask you if you needed anything. These people really appreciate your business. I'm now spoiled rotten.
We really had a great time at The Avalon Hotel. Thanks for restoring my reputation as family travel agent!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a balcony and a spectacular view.
1 Thank Therese K
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

My wife, my son (10 month old), and I had a great time here. Laurie, and the rest of the staff were great. They had lots of complementary teas, coffee and food. The view from the roof is great, the patio with coi pond is relaxing (you can help feed the fish), location is at the end of town away from the noise but close enough so that you don't feel like you are missing anything. Great place and great people.

• Stayed August 2012