$294
$249
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $277/night.

Portofino Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$271
$259
Aurora Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$319
  • Breakfast included
Casa Mariquita Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$229
$203
$229
  • Room Service
$174
Hotel Mac Rae(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$249
$241
Hotel Metropole(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$300
Seacrest Inn(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$195
Agoda.com
All reviewskoi pondrooftop deckcraftsman stylecatalina islandwrap around balconysea salt scrubcontinental breakfastbeach bagcomplimentary snackshumming birdsfire pitmemory foamgarden viewboiled eggsbath productsbottled waterlittle touches
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Beautiful hotel, beautiful room, spectacular view of the harbor, one block from everything.
Room 306 has great balcony with a fantastic view.
Staff is very friendly and helpful.
A great pace to escape for a romantic vacation.

Room Tip: room 306 has a great view
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jimbyrne
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I spent 2 nights at the Avalon Hotel with my girlfriend, as part of a romantic weekend getaway to Catalina. We were both extremely impressed - this is definitely one of the nicest places I've ever stayed, and I've stayed in a lot of hotels that were pricier than this. The building itself and the neighborhood as a whole are absolutely charming, and from the moment you walk inside, you can tell that a great deal of thought has been put into the decor and layout of the hotel. The desk staff were friendly and very helpful. They were also really, really nice about my unintentional late arrival!

The wooden trim and furnishings throughout the hotel were finished in a warm, inviting shade, which was accented by paint colors and detailing subtly evocative of the island's historic glazed tiles. This, along with custom designed lighting sconces featuring an outline of the island's profile, really tied the various spaces of the hotel together, and created a distinctive feel that was purely Catalina.

We stayed in room #103, which was on the ground floor toward the rear (inland) portion of the building. We booked a little too late to get a room facing the ocean - totally our own fault - but the mountain view we had was quite lovely, and the room also featured a private balcony from which the ocean could be seen. The hotel also offers a fabulous roof deck, open to all hotel guests, that offers not-to-be-missed views of the entire town, the ocean, and surroundings. Based on these factors I would not hesitate to book *any* room in the hotel.

The room interior was very well appointed, and though it was a bit on the small side, it more than made up for this with a well-thought-out layout and furnishings which echoed the design themes present in the hotel's common areas. It was also quiet, extremely comfortable, and absolutely spotless. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept on in any hotel, and the high thread count sheets and memory foam pillows felt absolutely luxurious. Really, there are not enough adjectives to describe how wonderful the bed was. I also liked that the ceiling fan and overhead (dimmable!) light could be controlled from the bed, via a wall mounted remote. The bathroom also deserves special mention - high-end fixtures, spotless gleaming tiles, and pleasantly-scented towels that were either brand new or just really, really clean.

From a more technical perspective, the room featured a large flat screen HDTV and DVD player. I'm sure they were nice, but we didn't actually wind up having time to test those out, as there was more than enough to see and do when out & about on the island. The hotel also offers free WiFi, which we did use. This worked well for web-browsing and email-checking, but beyond that, the connection was heavily firewalled, presumably to block high-bandwidth apps like streaming video. As I am a bedtime reader, this did cause some issues for me with my Android-based tablet that likes to update itself in the background, and for my Kindle app on the tablet, which could not sync. However, this is really a minor quibble, which certainly should not deter you from staying here. (Incidentally, I also have an iPhone, and using AT&T's 3G service, it worked better and faster on Catalina Island than anywhere I have used it on the mainland.)

The hotel also should get a gold star for having plentiful and intelligently located electrical outlets in the room, including right next to the bed. I'm sure this sounds like a very strange thing to rave about, but as a CPAP user and frequent business traveler it is something I have come to really appreciate. You'd be surprised how many hotels out there DON'T have an outlet within easy reach. In those cases I have generally had to put the machine in some awkward location, and since I'm breathing air through the intake on that machine, I'd really rather be able to put it on the bedside table and not on top of carpet or upholstery. Kudos to the Avalon Hotel on allowing that little bit of extra peace of mind.

Overall - the Avalon Hotel was absolutely wonderful, and I would not hesitate to stay there again, or to recommend it to friends, or to suggest it to even the most discriminating business associates.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zeroryouko
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I recently spent 3 days and 2 nights at the Avalon Hotel on Catalina Island with two girlfriends and had a wonderful time! The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful to tell us what to do and see. It was such an enjoyable experience with the warm hospitality of the staff. The ambience was more like a bed and breakfast with coffe in the lobby to access at all times with fruit and cookies as well as a welcoming breakfast on the private, delightful garden patio each morning. There was a fun complimentary wine, cheese and crackers happy hour on Friday on the patio with a lovely koi pond.
The accommodations were tastefully done, clean. and with very comfortable beds. We had our own terrace facing the ocean where we enjoyed coffee in the morning. The roof had a spectacular view over the harbor, ocean and town area. Everything more than met my expectations!
I am truly looking forward to another stay at this spectacular hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a memorable get-away with a very friendly and accommodating staff!
Thanks so much again to the outstanding staff at the Avalon Hotel who made our stay such fun and memorable!
Submitted by Sharon Meyer

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 201 which offered a view of the ocean as well as a "Spanish" looking hillside, rendering to the feeling of being in another country.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sharon M
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We have been talking about taking a short holiday to Catalina for years and finally decided to celebrate our birthdays. My husband picked the hotel and could not have done better. We lacked for nothing and the staff was more than willing to answer our questions about what to do and see and even told us about a little known dinner and movie special at one of the local restaurants. Don't bother checking out the others, this is the best place in Catalina.

Room Tip: The rooms are all very nice although the ones on the street side are a bit noisier early in the morning. Be sure and visit the roof top to see the dolphins and whales as they pass by the harbour.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth K
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Loved our three day - 2 night vacation on Catalina Island. Best part was a marvelous hotel/art experience - the Avalon Hotel. Friendly and knowledgeable staff made for a perfect mini-vacation. Loved the design details, wonderful California Impressionist art and historic photos on display throughout the Avalon. Also highly recommended: Lunch at the Airport and hike the loop trail - see a movie at the "Casino" (get there early to view the murals) - enjoy Catalina "endemics" at the Botanical Gardens - visit the Conservancy "Explore" Store on Clarissa Street - and end your day on the rooftop deck of the Avalon Hotel with a bottle of wine. Catalina Conservancy shuttle service and shuttle driver/tour guides were another big plus for us. Thank you Laurie, Tim, Richard, the Avalon Hotel and the Catalina Island Conservancy!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple