“Awesome!”
Review of The Avalon Hotel

The Avalon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I've never had such a nice experience in a hotel. I don't consider myself a fussy traveler; all I want is a clean room and a comfortable bed. Of course, The Avalon met my expectations and then some. I arrived late on a Saturday evening from New York and Ken knew my name and got me checked in and into my room within minutes. He even helped me with my bag! The lobby was already modestly decorated for Halloween, which I loved, and I managed to restrain myself from the bowl of candy. My room was beautiful, great bed with a flat screen TV and a mini fridge with water and juice. The bathroom was clean, white with towels galore. The robes were luxurious as well as the tangerine sage body butter and other toiletries (Are those for sale guys?).

Since I arrived later in the day I had a quick bite at Sam's Steakhouse and drifted off to sleep. When I woke up at 7:30am I stepped out onto my balcony in absolute awe; the view of Avalon and the Pacific Ocean literally took my breath away. I was on the third floor, and the patio on the roof found away to surpass it, with 360 degree views that made me look like I took photos for a living. I enjoyed complimentary continental breakfast in the courtyard, which was also beautiful.

I had a wonderful time sightseeing in Avalon. The hotel is off the main street so it's not as noisy and I had no problems getting around on foot to the restaurants and stores. Whenever I left the hotel I always got a wave goodbye and a welcome back. The entire staff was professional and friendly.

I would definitely come back to The Avalon Hotel. Laurie and Ken were both amazing and absolutely pleasant to deal with. I was so sad I had to leave that Laurie gave me a hug! I'm already planning a spring getaway with my sister and I've told all my friends THANKS AGAIN

Room Tip: Room 301 is hands-down the nicest room, although any of the balcony view rooms would be nice
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank C O
There are newer reviews for The Avalon Hotel

Reviewed October 7, 2011

We had a girls' weekend here in Sept and loved it. The staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel was immaculate and the location was perfect. Complimentary water and juice in the mini fridge and snacks/drinks in the lobby. Lovely courtyard to relax on and enjoy the free continental breakfast. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Lets just say that after reading reviews of most places....i was scared to stay anywhere.....what made it harder was the fact that i only needed one night which was Sat Oct 1st and almost everyone hotel required 2 nights. I had originally contacted the Avalon's sister hotel and spoke with a Romero.....if you ever need help this is your guy! First class and very helpful! He actually didn't have a room for me but was able to find one at the Avalon and let me have it for one night!

Ok....so once arrived we had a partial ocean view which was fine......we planned on being out all day long and then properly inebriated by the time we returned from all the schedule events...........the room was very cute....very clean with a very comfortable bed....kinda like a bed in breakfast........it was perfect. Room 205 I believe on the second floor........the only complaint i had really was the water pressure in the shower.......its just not there....but to be honest.....its weak in most hotels i've been in all over California.

Stew was also great....he is funny and we actually ran into him at the local bar "the Locker Room"..where he was constantly harassed by supposed sexy married women....lol...don't be fooled by most places in town.......they are high priced drink karaoke bars with dying cats singing all night long.....we could only take soo much of that and luckily stumbled into the Locker Room.....local hang.....reasonable drink prices and Live music.........we basically closed the place lol..............make sure you get your drinks from BOB he is the best bartender

Once again.....we just stayed here........This place is great and I would definitely stay again.........

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sean E
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed here one night for our 2nd anniversary, it was very warm and welcoming. As you enter there are refreshments and snacks galore, the rooms are very clean and the sheets feel new, this is a plus!!! They have a BEAUTIFUL bathroom, and room comes equip with a flat screen TV, little fridge with complementary drinks, and the staff is TOP NOTCH! LOVED IT!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angelica B
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Last time I checked, the Hotel Vista Del Mar was the #1 hotel on TripAdvisor. I have to say, while that is a nice hotel - The Avalon Hotel has it beat for sure. I personally like the location better - just off the main drag so you don't have tons of people walking by your hotel every day. Plus, you're closer to Descanso Beach. The manager Laurie is super attentive to guests needs, and one of those people that is truly enjoyable to talk with. They do a wine and cheese happy hour on Friday's at the hotel until 6PM (we showed up at 7, and they were still going) - and the wine was solid! Not some lame two buck chuck (sorry TJ's). Awesome Pinot, Laurie :) They provide a nice breakfast in the morning (we ate cereal & fruit and had nice strong coffee), and you can sit and eat it out in their back courtyard/patio. It's a great spot with lush gardening, koi pond, and fire pit. Something about it reminded me of Santa Barbara.

We stayed in room 202. That room has a king size bed, and a great mattress (memory foam?) It also had a amazing white tile bathroom, and balcony with chairs and a table. It faces the street. Upside is you get the view of the water. Downside is that [golf] carts do travel on it. Wasn't a big deal for us though, and at night we simply closed the balcony door to keep noise out. I assume the other side of the hotel faced the courtyard/patio. Personally, I'd rather have the view and balcony - but I don't think you can go wrong on either side.

Again, Laurie was a great host providing tips on where to eat when we needed cheap eats, as well as a restaurant for a nice fancy dinner. Her & her husband both dive, so if you're into that you'll have a lot to talk about.

I wish the weekend prices were a little cheaper, but you do have the option of coming mid week and scoring really cheap accommodations. Overall, I'd without a doubt stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room 202 was great for a couple wanting a King sized bed & balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I'd been previously burned twice on trips to Avalon with hotels that promised luxurious accommodations that failed to deliver, so I was a bit wary of The Avalon Hotel. Was I wrong! Finally, there's a hotel on Catalina Island that delivers what it promises. We were in a relatively small room, but we never felt cramped because it was so well laid out. The bathrooms are great, from the roomy tub to the amenities -- the tangerine shampoo was my absolute favorite! The views are spectacular, and because the hotel is just off the main drag, the rooms are very quiet. There's a lovely continental breakfast should you want to partake, and Ken & Laurie are always there to cater to your every whim. I could not have felt more taken care of, and I look forward to returning very soon.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2011

husband and I loved this hotel. great views from roof top. room was smalll but very romantic

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple