“"The second time around was a nightmare."”

Catalina Island Inn
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“"The second time around was a nightmare."”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My Husband and I stayed at the Catalina Island Inn on our honeymoon 18 years ago and the Inn was a wonderful place to stay with a beautiful view of Avalon, we spent quite alot of time on the balcony watching the boats go in and out of the harbor. This time we stayed in the same room and we were very unhappy. The Vons grocery store next door to the Inn had a refrigerator unit on top of the roof and the noise from the unit was insidious 24/7, we didn't spend any time on the balcony because of the noise. The room was very small but decorated nicely. Also worth mentioning is the fact that the hotel doesn't have an elevator and the stairs are quite steep. My main complaint came when the toilet overflowed. When I called down to the front desk, I was informed that the maintenance man had just left and they would call a plumber. The front desk person came up and used our towels to mop up the floor and tried plunging the toilet without success. A few hours later, I asked if the plumber was coming, I was told that they had called the plumber twice with no response. I asked if there was another room that we could be transferred to and they said no. We were left with no working toilet and no where to go to the bathroom and the room smelled of feces. I was appauled by the lack of service from the hotel staff. We will never stay at this hotel again. Be warned.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Calicat91730

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Modesto, California
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Catalina Island Inn. Although the inn is not new, the rooms have been beautifully redone inside. Our room was a very clean, tastefully-decorated king room. It contained a flat screen T.V., a refrigerator, lots of storage (2 separate closets, a dresser), and a sliding glass door to our private balcony. I was happy that the bed had a comfortable mattress, a non-negotiable for me. The bathroom was beautiful. The floors were tiled, the shower tiled, and the sink situated atop the lovely black vanity (which also contained additional storage).

Overlooking the street, there is a large, second-story balcony, which is open to all guests. For us it provided a nice place to read. The hosts and staff were very helpful and friendly. They even provided beach towels for us when we went kayaking. Because this inn does not have an elevator, I would not recommend it for those who have difficulty with stairs. Our room had air-conditioning, but some of them do not. If AC is a "must-have" for you, make sure you request an air-conditioned room when you make reservations. I would have been okay with just the sliding glass door.

I liked the location of the hotel because it was a very short walk to the beach, and central to most of the shops and restaurants. It is next door to a grocery store, which comes in handy if you are trying to be frugal. There is street noise below, but not enough to keep me awake. While this inn doesn't have all of the luxuries, it is very quaint, clean and an excellent value.

1 Thank Dennis T
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was my second time to Catalina Island but my first time staying over night. The trip was a gift for myself from my boyfriend which was his first time all together. With all the different choices of hotels to choose from I was won over with Catalina Island Inn from the start. The hotel via internet looked cozy, clean, safe, and comfortable. My boyfriend and I took advantage of the "Summer Package" which included round trip transportation on the Catalina Express(boat) and taxi to the hotel, 2 night stay, and continental breakfast for two. Great deal for only $570 including bed tax!

Upon arrival to the hotel we were very pleased with the location as it was half a block from the beach, plenty of restaurants and bars around and right next door to a Vons grocery store. Our room was ready before check-in time so that was perfect. Our room was on the third floor and it was a walk up so I wouldn't suggest this hotel for persons needing handicap assistance. However the walk up was not bad at all. Our room with the package was the queen bed with bay windows so it wasn't much of a view. The room was small but clean, comfortable and just enough space for 2 adults spending a few days out of town. The only down fall to this room was the water closet (towel &shower). This space was very small and I would not suggest this room for a heavier set person as the shower was a bit tight for myself at 5"2, 128lbs. Also the room does not have A/C however there is a ceiling fan and a portable fan provided in the room which kept us cool.

Overall we were very pleased with the service. The hotel staff was very nice and professional. They made sure that we were accommodated. The room was great for two days; wish I could have stayed longer. :-) I think picking this Inn you'll be pleased with your choice as we were.

1 Thank Christian P
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 24, 2012

If you're like me and somewhat picky about hotels, then you'll have a hard time trying to choose a place to stay during your stay in Avalon. There aren't many to choose from and most of them are old and run-down. I had originally wanted to stay at Hotel Metropole but the rates were out of my budget, so I narrowed it down between here and the Pavilion hotel. After much contemplation, I chose here because I thought the Pavilion looked too touristy and like they cater to families and older couples.

Upon arriving on the island on a Sunday, we had no problems getting to the hotel -- everything is walking distance. The place is small, homely, cute (loved the beach-y decor and muted tones of blues and whites), and right next to Vons, which was very convenient. Check-in is 2:00 pm but we checked in at 12:30 pm and was given our room keys with no problems. Be careful about carrying too much luggage, or if you have a bad leg, or you are handicapped because they only have stairs, no elevators.

I made reservations for room 333 (king bed with ocean view balcony) for $150 which was a great deal (I wanted a room on the 4th floor but I made my ressies a month in advance... which was too late -_- so I do recommend booking your room at least 45 days in advance). Our room was great -- spacey, clean, and I loved our view. My only complaint is that either the ceiling was very thin or the people above us were obese, because we heard them walking around the whole night (Wtf? Another reason to get a room on the 4th floor). And then during our first day, there was a random, large thump on our door? Scared the crap out of me...

There are a lot of reviews complaining about small bathrooms and sinks in the actual bedroom area, but in our room we had no problems with that. Our bathroom and shower were both large and had more than enough space for two people. My only complaint is the shower has no door... but this weird half-glass divider. Not a bright idea because water got everywhere, so I had to place lots of towels on the floor so we wouldn't slip and fall x_x Also, I noticed that the complimentary mini bottle of lotion in the bathroom had been opened and used before. I was disgusted by this. My boyfriend called front desk to let them know and they told us if we wanted a new bottle, we had to go down to the front desk to get it. What... Is this common at most bed and breakfast joints? Because I thought it was kinda whack that we had to go down to correct their mistake.

There is complimentary Wi-Fi but their directions to connect to the Wi-Fi aren't very clear and we had trouble with it even though we're not noobs when it comes to technology. And while I was doing work, I realized that we were connected to another person's computer and had access to all his personal files, such as his bank account number and password (fool had it saved as a document on his desktop, wtf dumb). We don't know if this was the dude's own fault for making a public connection or if it was because of the hotel's Wi-Fi, but to be safe, we immediately disconnected from the Wi-Fi.

On the bright side, complimentary Continental breakfast is provided. I went down around 9:00 am to see what they had and considering it's comp, it was pretty decent. They had orange juice, coffee, tea, muffins, apples, and a lot of pastries. They do provide trays, which was awesome because I went to town and grabbed a little bit of everything. Check-out is at 11:00 am, which is a bit early in my opinion but no problem. They do store your luggage if you have a tour and you don't have anywhere to place your luggage. Great idea but they don't have a secured area to store said luggage. They just place it next to the front desk and around the lobby if there isn't enough room... Not very safe imo, so something to keep in mind (since we were going zip lining, I took all my most valuable stuff with me and stored it in the lockers provided at the zip lining tour).

I liked Catalina Island Inn but not enough to give them 4 stars due to an accumulation of little no-nos: no elevators, no customer service, paper-thin ceilings, and no secured luggage storing. Another thing I didn't like is that there is no 24-hour staff available. The front desk closes at 10:00 pm and if there is an emergency, there are emergency phones on every floor to contact the night manager. This, plus the fact that the front door of the hotel is unlocked 24 hours, it didn't make me feel very safe... Regardless if Avalon is a safe town or not.

This place wasn't bad, just not the best compared to my other experiences at other hotels and bed and breakfasts. I do recommend it if you're on a budget because their rates from Sun-Thu are great. However, next time when I visit Catalina, I'd rather stay at a different hotel.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms are optimal for a noise-less night's sleep & best view of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thefinchster
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Queen bed, no, a double at the best. That;s because a queen would not fit in the small room. The bathroom was just as small. On the beach..not. Don't go there on a warm day, no A/C. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Check out other hotels.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Gary S
Oak Harbor, Washington
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The room was absolutely beautiful but from the looks of the bed in the picture it was pretty uncomfortable (for the price they should invest in some good quality mattresses). The staff was fantastic. It was really nice that you can leave your bags with the front desk if you arrive early. There is no good outdoor view from your windows but the beach is only a couple blocks away and the grocery store is right next door. tiny cheap pastries and coffee for breakfast, opted for a restaurant instead. would definitely stay here again otherwise..
swimming pool?? fitness center?? didn't know there was one??

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor and didn't experience the noise others have referred to. no a/c in the ro...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Corona, California, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was the second time we stayed at the Catalina Island Inn. We enjoyed both visits. The hotel is very clean and all the employees are very nice. They allow you to leave your bags before and after check out. Last year we stayed in room 308 which was in the middle of the hotel with a little bit of a view of the ocean. This time we stayed in room 304 which was on the inland side of the hotel. No view and no breeze. Next year I'll try for room 308 again. Hotel has a great location and I would definately be staying there again.

Room Tip: I recommend calling before securing your reservations online and asking the employees which rooms ar...
1 Thank Christie R