“Captain Dave!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catalina Coastal Tours

Catalina Coastal Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Where your Catalina adventure begins! We offer Dolphin/ Sea Lion trips, Coastal Sightseeing/ Eco-Tours, and the Astronomy Experience night time tour all at the best prices in town! We can also customize a private charter to suit your needs. We specialize in small groups (6 or less) and offer the attention to detail and customer service you deserve.
Huntington Beach, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Captain Dave!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We chartered a private water tour of Catalina. Captain Dave is fun and personable and made it a great trip. He knows everything there is to know about the island. Listen closely, because he will quiz you on the return trip! :) I will repeat this tour on future trips.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank rhpolk

Claremont, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ultimate Beach Adventure -- White's Landing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is a great little getaway. Captain Dave--a skilled mariner and nice guy--whisks you away on a small powerful boat to a semi-secluded cove maybe 15 min. from Avalon. In season it's occupied by a camp, and in summer at least it's besieged by small yachts & fishing boats; but when camp's not in session there are very few residents and the facilities are available for day use via the Ultimate Beach Adventure, meaning a pretty full run of the place except for the cabins (some of which are in use for small groups); and the boat-people have only very restricted shore privileges. So it's surprisingly quiet and low-key. You can paddleboard, kayak, & snorkel around the cove--all the gear is there for the using and always accessible--or hike the nearby trails, or just lie around and listen to the waves lap against the shore. In any order, and as often as you like. Food in the camp kitchen ranges from not so good to not so bad, but you can always run a tab for special orders, or I guess BYO. My wife & I were in Avalon for just a few days but we liked White's Landing so much we went twice! (Two half-days; next time we'll go for a whole day.) Wouldn't mind going on one of Captain Dave's sea-excursions as well: we know we'd be in good hands.

1 Thank James L
North Hollywood,CA
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Dolphin Sea Lion Awesomeness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked the Dolphin /Sea Lion Tour as the last trip on my birthday weekend. Captain Dave welcomed us on the boat and it was all AWESOME from there. We got the photo package and we were the only two people on this last tour of the day. Captain Dave showed us tons of cute sea lions and found us a pod of Risso Dolphins that were in a playful mode. He took a ton of great pics for us so all we had to do was sit back and enjoy an AMAZING trip out on the ocean. Captain Dave was full of fun facts about the island and all the ocean critters. He also took the time to make sure that we enjoyed the trip. I will for sure go out on another tour with him and recommend Catalina Coastal Tours to ALL MY FRIENDS!!! Thanks for the great time!!

North Hollywood, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Paradise adventure on Catalina Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I booked the Ultimate Beach Adventure with Catalina Coastal Tours based on all the favorable Tripadvisor reviews. We have snorkled in Hawaii, Grand Cayman and Cancun but wanted to check out the snorkeling in Catalina because we have never tried it even though we live here. We didn't want to snorkel with too many people around and wanted to do something out of the box of snorkel adventures. We found it in the Ultimate Beach Adventure. We chose the half day adventure to White's Landing. Next time we would like to do the whole day. We were taken away from Avalon by Dave for our afternoon paradise adventure about 1 p.m. The boat ride was amazing! We saw some dolphins and chatted with Dave and his wife about what to do during our time in the cove they were taking us to. They are extremely knowledgeable about the history of the island and the ocean. My husband and I felt quite confident in their hands. They provided us with wetsuits, fins and snorkel masks. We had access to kayaks, paddle boards or could even hike but my husband and I wanted to spend our time in the water snorkeling and that is exactly what we did. We saw a forest of kelp with fish all around. We saw lots of Garibaldi fish and other fish which we are still trying to figure out what their names are. My husband saw a small octopus and a couple of rays. I was very impressed on the clarity and cleaniness of the water. It was the first time I used a wet suit and one of the gals there gave me the perfect suggestion as to size and how to put it on (I do not recall her name but she was a sweetie). We had dinner about 6 p.m. in a real campground setting. We had a burrito, salad, rice and dessert. There were showers and bathrooms available. My husband and I plan on doing this adventure again but this time would like the all day package to spend more time there.

1 Thank ellendeette14
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A Great Day on the Sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Captain Dave was on time, informative, prepared and most enjoyable. He keeps his boat very clean and I assume his Naval background makes him very safety conscious. He made sure we got great photos, saw eagles, dolphins, harbor island seal, and sea lions. He is so pleasant and gave us the feeling that he really enjoyed what he did. As a result we were all (4 of us) very impressed and would highly recommend this trip from Avalon to Isthmus. We had lunch at the Isthmus and I would recommend the Buffalo Milk drink. All in all it was a great day with a very professional tour guide.

1 Thank FafieM