“Dolphin and Whale Tour”

Catalina Coastal Tours & Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Where your Catalina adventure begins! We offer Dolphin/ Sea Lion trips, Coastal Sightseeing/ Eco-Tours, and the Astronomy Experience night time tour all at the best prices in town! We can also customize a private charter to suit your needs. We specialize in small groups (6 or less) and offer the attention to detail and customer service you deserve.
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dolphin and Whale Tour”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to schedule a Dolphin/Whale Tour with Catalina Coastal Tours, It was the best decision we ever made. We spent a couple of days on the island and actually planned to do the zip line tour, however, her fear of heights got the best of her so we had to cancel. Instead we made a last minute reservation with Captain Dave for his Dolphin Excursion and were not disappointed. First of all, it was one of the most friendly and accommodating trips Ive been on. For most of the trip, we were surrounded by a huge pod of common dolphins. We also came across some harbor seals (pretending to be Dolphins) in a pod like formation as well. Super Cool!
Captain Dave also has a GOPro Camera mounted on the bow, so for an reasonable extra fee, you can relive your experience over and over, along with some still shots with picturesque backdrops. We received our DVD today, it was great! We are definitely going to cruise out with Catalina Coastal Tours next time we go to Catalina.

PS Don't be surprised if you stay out a little longer if its one of those gorgeous winter days with no wind all day and over 70 degrees. I don't think anyone really wanted to come back from our trip, including Dave. Also, his trips are about an hour which fit beautifully into our schedule, because we were trying to fit in a lot of activities in just a couple days. Book with them! You won't be disappointed!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Brian E
CatalinaCoastalTours, Manager at Catalina Coastal Tours & Fishing, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! Our staff genuinely enjoys our time on the water and with our customers. Every time we find the dolphin it's like the first time, it never gets old. We enjoy taking the photos and are experts at photographing the wildlife as it can be very difficult getting the right shot. We are happy you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to taking care of you in the future!

South Pasadena, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“HIGHLIGHT OF OUR TRIP!!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I were raving about our dolphin and whale watching excursion lead by Captain Dave himself! We visited in mid Jan, far from Catalina's peak season. I read that winter time is the right time to try our luck at spotting some whales and dolphins. We didn't make reservations ahead of time, we were a walk in appointment and we secured a tour for the following morning. The next day we were delighted to find out that we would be the only 2 people on the entire boat so we pretty much got a private charter, it was amazing. Dave's customer service was second to none. We also purchased his photo package which was also very reasonably priced. We've attached some of the pristine images that Dave captured with his camera. He took well over 300 pictures so our trip was well documented, they will be memories that will last a lifetime for us. I've been to Catalina a handful of times and have taken part in just as many excursions. The experience that Dave provided for us was by far the best thing I've done while visiting Catalina. I'll definitely recommend his services to my friends and family who are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Matthew H
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are a small company that prides ourselves on customer satisfaction and that personal touch that makes the tours extra special. I was extremely happy with the photo package we were able to provide to you and thank you for sending me a few back. You will see one or two of those photos used in my advertising. I couldn't believe the Bottle Nose Dolphin were jumping right behind the boat as they were. We are still seeing lots of Dolphin and a grey whale here and there so check my Facebook page for updates.
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“High Point of a Christmas Visit to Catalina!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our winter vacation with a first time visit to Santa Catalina Island. We found Catalina Coastal Tours on Christmas Eve 2012 and booked an afternoon tour with Captain Dave Carlisle and his wife, Kathleen on their beautiful 24 foot craft, the C-STAR. Our objective was to view the Catalina coastline, observe marine wildlife and enjoy the wonderful weather and spectacular waters the island is known for. We saw dolphins--- Common, Bottlenose & Rizzzo’s ---and a huge raft of sea lions. We were also able to view the Catalina Island Marine Institute, numerous beaches, coves & camps and many other coastal features between Avalon Bay and Long Point. We didn’t swim, but Dave showed us the best locations to snorkel in the future. He also shared his deep knowledge of Catalina by answering all our questions on the island’s attractions, economy and history.
We were delighted with our experience and highly recommend Catalina Coastal Tours. They deliver excellent value at a competitive price!

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Howard N
Thank you for the gracious review! That was a wonderful day on the water with all three types of Dolphin making an appearance for us. We are always happy to share our local knowledge and answer any questions you may have.
orange county, ca
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The BEST Part of Our Trip to Catalina Island!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

You have to schedule a tour with Captain Dave if you visit Catalina Island. I can't say enough great things about our experience. We were traveling with our 2 1/2 year old daughter and were afraid we wouldn't be able to go with the minimum age of 4. Captain Dave was very accommodating. Since we went mid-week and the tours weren't full, he said he could take us! It was by far, the most amazing thing we did on the island. We went on the dolphin and sea lion tour and we literally saw hundreds of both! The were all around our boat and underneath our boat and the water was so clear, you could just look down and see them! The boat was nice and we felt really safe. I am a big sissy and thought I would be worried with our little one on board, but it was smooth and perfectly safe. The price of this tour is also really reasonable, especially considering the great experience you get compared to the other 'tours' offered on the island by other big companies. We did several of those too and I wish we just went on Captain Dave all three days for tours instead. The others were a huge disappointment. We can't wait to come back to the island and will most definitely be calling Captain Dave back for all our touring!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank nw310
Thank you for the excellent review. We value our customers input in order to better serve you. Your daughter was a natural on the boat and I was glad to accommodate your family! Being able to see those big Dolphin up close is a memory that I'm sure you will cherish for years to come!
Miami Beach, Florida
“EXCELLENT!!!!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Had the best time, would do it again in a heartbeat!!! I don't know how he got those dolphins to perform the way they did, they seem to just jump a little higher around our boat. He and his wife were wonderful.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Jeanne A
Thank you for the review. We keep those Dolphin on the payroll to perform for us :) It really is amazing to see them in their natural element, vice a theme park, naturally having fun and jumping around.