“I found exceptional customer service at The Hermosa Hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Burbank, California
“I found exceptional customer service at The Hermosa Hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

I had never been to Catalina and went in May 2010. At the front desk, Mindy and Chris both offered exceptional customer service and arranged awesome activities for my stay. They were excellent at arranging reservations for any activity and had fantastic local tips. It is close to the beach, pier, restaurants, tours, etc. The hotel and cottages offer a great selection of rooms for respective budgets. The hotel staff went out of their way to ensure I enjoy my first vacation to the island. I highly recommend this hotel and The Zip Line Tour!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank JohnPattison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Hebrew first
Encino, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed at the Hermosa Hotel for two nights in one of the family units. It comfortably slept all 5 of us and we had plenty of wiggle room. Our room was decorated with antiques and felt more like an apartment than a hotel room. We even had a full kitchen and full sized fridge! Every room had cable TV, the room was clean and ready at check in, and the staff was amazing, especially the manager, Jon. For those looking for a cool, historic hotel, the Hermosa was a great, affordable place to stay in Avalon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Corey0528
Berkeley, Ca.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

I knew from previous reviewers that the Hermosa would be anything but fancy, so I didn't expect that. Still I hoped for an acceptable basic room and the hotel was almost delivering that. The yelling--by both young adults and families with children--quieted down around 10, an hour after the 9:00 "quiet time." The golf cart traffic on the street--environmentally benign but surprisingly noisy--trailed off. During a warm but not terrible day the room had been oven hot--no air conditioning as is often the case in Catalina. By the evening it was tolerable with the fan going.

There was no desk to write on, I awkwardly tried to use the bureau, no go (the room didn't get the hotel's wireless anyway). Some of the mirrors were flyspecked. But it was tolerable--a low 3.

I got up to discover the next morning that there was no hot water, not even a trickle. Plenty of cold water, maybe a drop dripping of hot. The manager--I believe he was--came over to confirm this. He offered me the ability to use the second floor common shower in the other building, since the handyman wasn't coming in until later (it was Sunday). No expression of regret, no apology,. no offer of a partial refund or credit. Just a statement of hope that the problem was confined to my room, or he'd have a crisis all morning!

I used the shower room. It was a grim and dingy place, paint coming off the floor. It was anything but invigorating.

I've stayed a lot of hotels. They have problems, the rooms are often used heavily. Sometimes I call about the problem, sometimes I live with it. No hot water is beyond the pale.

Avalon is a sweet little town in a beautiful setting. There are few cars there, you walk. If I come back to Catalina for an overnight I will most assuredly stay at a different hotel.

There was no desk to write on and the chairs were folding chairs. So

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank wanderer

Travelers are raving about these Avalon hotels

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

The rooms are old, there is no heat, no ac, they don't clean the rooms, this is the scary/diriest place I have ever stayed. I did not choose this, my colleague did. I was appalled. Avalon is nothing to write about either. Run down, noisy, and crowded. The young folks at the desk were nice, but they can't make up for what this place really is, a dump.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Discovery Bay, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

The island isn't a place to stay in your room so why spend the money for nice pictures, extra virgin cotton, I was able to spend the money on the great adventures of the island like the zip Line, snorkling, underwater treks and great food. For me this made the trip more relaxing and much more enjoyable. You owe it to yourself to stay here and afford to enjoy everything or at least more of what the island has to offer. The staff is incredible and seems like one big happy family trying to make your stay enjoyable. Mr Malan "Mark" knows everything about the island and I came to find out he was the owner. My experience was with Mark, Mindy, Johnny and Gina.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

the staff was extremely helpful and really nice. the cottages were perfect size, reasonable price and in the perfect location. we recommend this hotel 100%

• Stayed May 2010
Las Vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

Cheap luxury may seem to be an oxymoron, but there was quality where quality really counted. This was my first visit to Catalina Island, California. I found Hermosa Hotels while searching the internet for places to stay. I loved the price, and expected much less that we got for the price. The rooms were small, with minimal inconvenience (rooms were small, showers/toilets outside of room). However, the staff was extremely friendly and informative and exhibited excellent customer service. The linen/towels were white, clean, and soft (very important if you've had a day in the sun). The bed was very comfortable. The showers were hot, and the facilities clean. Even the toilet paper was high quality. The free coffee each morning was gourmet quality and hot. These high quality amenities far outweighed the lack of space and the minor inconvenience. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to any budget traveler/diver/beachgoer to anyone. I will stay there again on my next visit to Catalina.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple