Hermosa Hotel
$268
$260
$110
  • Breakfast included
Casa Mariquita Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$178
$159
$239
$232
Aurora Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$259
Hotels.com
$159
The Avalon Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$549
Hotel Metropole(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$309
Portofino Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$269
$249
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssmall cottageluggage roomtwo double bedssmall kitchenbotanical gardensgrocery storecatalina islanddive gearstorage areafull kitchendive parkmini fridgenothing fancystaff was very friendly and helpfulmiddle of townboat ridecatalina express
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I loved staying at this hotel, while it may not be a Marriot or Hyatt, it is comfortable and the service is fantastic. I was there for the Catalina triathlon and I was able to check out before the race and come back later to use the showers to get dressed and store my gear. I even misplaced the key and they just said that it would turn up (and it did). Everyone was extremely accomodating, I have traveled all over the U.S. and I have never had better service, unflagging smiles and cheerful personalities.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank rae4sunshine
Reviewed October 14, 2009

My young son and I have been camping the last 3 years at Hermit Gulch so it was time for a change. I checked out pretty much all the hotels before settling on the Hermosa. I was delighted with the friendly helpful staff members - Mindy & Brandon. They were responsive and I got a very nice deal for 2 nights and round trip boat passage even during Jazz Trax. We got a cozy, clean bungalow style room with 2 double beds, our own bathroom & cable TV. It was small but very functional. We were allowed to check in early which really was such a convenience and we used the Hotel's microwave once for an evening meal. A pleasant surprise was that I was able to access the Hotel's wireless connection from my room! I know some people had to use the lobby but I guess I lucked out. The location is perfect - a little off the beaten track but still close to everything in town. We were in the back up the stairs so it was pretty quiet. This place is a great value and I recommend it to anyone who can be content with basic amenities; this is not the Ritz. Overall, I was very pleased with the entire stay and will definitely come back!

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank wordsmith96
Reviewed August 28, 2009

This was our first overnight stay on Catalina Island. I was initially dismayed at the summer prices for lodging, and then I stumbled on the Hermosa on TripAdvisor. The current comments were very promising and the prices were good, compared to other Catalina options.

Front desk staff is truly as friendly and helpful as other reviewers have noted. The owner popped in over the weekend and had a chance to meet and talk to him as well. They are working diligently to become the best value, friendliest lodging in Catalina.

The room was adequate. We had two double beds and it was very, very tight. Our shared bath was shared with our friends in the next room, so there were no issues with thoughtless bathroom sharing. The room was reasonably clean, however the beds need to be pulled out and the room vacuumed thoroughly. Also the screen on the window needs to be replaced - my daughter's chocolate milk fell out the 3rd story window when she set it on the sill! The look on her face was pricelss and we all got a great laugh out of that.

Regarding wifi, we were able to connect easily in the lobby. Hermosa guarantees access in the lobby and notes that some rooms may have access. Well our room did, and that was a plus.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Hermosa for a stay in Avalon.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Jocelyn S
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Service was friendly and very helpful. Our rooms were clean & bright. Kitchenetts well supplied. Nice patio with a view of the ocean and close to the market, restaurants and shops. The best part of staying at the Hermosa Hotel was the wonderful way all personnel responded to requests. My 95 yr. old mom & 4 sisters loved their stay in Avalon, Catalina Island. I would like to be more objective but nothing negative comes to mind.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Blondie357
Reviewed August 11, 2009

The rooms are quite small. Normally, this shouldn't be a hindrance if it's laid out well. It wasn't. They have a large bureau, that would accommodate someone staying for a month, but no desk. They could have easily replaced the oversized and inpractical bureau with a writing table/desk.
I had a shared bathroom, but the other folks with whom I shared the bath kept locking my door from the bathroom side , so to block off my access to the common bathroom.

The room had roaches and when I complained, hoping to get some concession I was told that this was the "season" and since the hotel is located in a dry area (Avalon), this, is common. However, my friends staying at other hotels didn't have this problem.

Internet service is only available in the small lobby, but even there they have no tables at all to set your laptop down on. Great planning on the part of management. Moreover, with the installation of a simple "access point" (costs about $75) every room could have had wireless.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo